TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Shaved Bear

Bands you cant stand

Guest Shaved Bear
All boybands (especially all the ripoff ones like 98 Degress and Lfo)

I think the worst ripoff is o-town, i mean they made them in front of a national audience, they were admitting they were actually fabricated.  Does anyone else think that the teenybopper music is starting to die down?

I forogt about them Bear. That makes there music so fake looking it is unbeleivable. How can they even take themselves seriously when they were put together by a group of old fags?

Guest Kinetic
Velvet Underground

Jeff Buckley

Ooooh.  It's all fun and games until they mention someone I like.

Guest Edwin MacPhisto

Jeff Buckley?

Moby?

Rage?

Philistines, all!  Thbbpt!  Moby hasn't really "sold out" in a bad sense.  If people want to give him extra money to use his artistic statement in a commercial, then so be it.  The new album does sound similar to Play, but really on the first listen.  The mood of the album is very different, and it's definitely not a commercial statement--some of the stuff with the field music is similar to Play, no doubt, but nothing on here is actually constructed to sell ad-space, I think.  "We Are All Made Of Stars" is the only real single on the disc.  I posted a big longish post about this on my weblog a few days ago, but I don't feel like copying/pasting and so on.

As for Jeff Buckley, I just wish he hadn't died.  Too much potential there.

Rage, I love, but I can definitely see the argument against, especially if you bring in Battle of Los Angeles.  The self-titled is, in my eyes, nigh-untouchable, but I've known many people who've gotten bored with de la Rocha's political rants and occasional flip-out nutty sessions.

Still, come on!  Township Rebellion, people!  Killing in the Name!

Guest razazteca

Papa Roach - looked bad on the Aerosmith ICON show, plus songs about abuse is getting tiresome

The Strokes - nice band but the lead singer looks vanilla.... The Lance Storm of bands

Alien Ant Farm -  see above comment

Jeff Buckley

What the hell? I don't see how you can call him bad, his lyrics and potential was so great. He'll always be sadly missed by many.

But to each his own I guess.

Guest WWF4Life

I'd have to say...

-All pop punk. Sum 41, Blink 182...absolutely terrible.

-All crapmetal  ( Papa Roach, Puddle of Mudd, Limp Bizkit, Drowning Pool, Saliva )

-Marilyn Manson...terrible music, terrible 'gimmick'...dude, Ozzy Osbourne and Alice Cooper have been there, done that. Fool.

-Lyte Funky Ones...the most irritating boyband I've ever heard, and I had to put up with the Backstreet Boys because of my sister. Atrocious lyrics..."Dooby doo doo and scooby snacks...met a fly girl and i can't relax." Arggggggh!!! WTF?

-P. Diddy...can't stand him or his music.

-Every single female pop soloist. Britney, Christina, Shakira etc.

Guest starvenger

>I think the worst ripoff is o-town, i mean they made them in front of a national audience, they were admitting they were actually fabricated.  

Well, I like the fact that they actually admit they're fabricated, but they're still a horrible group.  All things considered, the (ahem) "non-"fabricated groups Backstreet Boys and NSync are light years ahead of them in that genre.

>Does anyone else think that the teenybopper music is starting to die down?

Teenybopper music never dies down, it simply evolves (or devolves, in the case of Britney clones).  The next new trend seems to be singers in the Michelle Branch mold - 18-22 year old caucasian girls who play an instrument and sing.  Already there's Vanessa Carlton and Avril Levigne - how many more will there be?

As for bands that I can't stand:

- Silverchair

- The Tea Party

- LFO, 98 Degrees, O-Town...  pretty much any male quartet or quintet that came after Boyz II Men

Finally, a question - How is Jeff Buckley a band?

Guest CoreyLazarus416

Personally, I wouldn't throw Puddle Of Mudd in there with the title of "nu-metal." "Control" is really their only "heavy song," and almost every other song is acoustic. Besides...they used to be a thrash band, so credit goes there...I guess...

And I don't think he called Jeff Buckley bad...I think he just said he doesn't like him. That's like me saying I don't like Dylan, Clapton, or Bob Marley. Sure, all great in their own right, and they have their fans, just not my thing.

Guest Edwin MacPhisto
-Marilyn Manson...terrible music, terrible 'gimmick'

A lot of Manson's stuff is schlocky and overdone, but Mechanical Animals stands out as a great piece of twisted glam-rock throwback.  Most people I know who loathe Manson still have a soft spot for that album.  Got some sort of odd androgynous charm to it.

Guest TheyCallMeMark

I like talking about not enjoying bands... Because I like ripping on bands I don't enjoy! Here I go...

Led Zepplin

1. Robert Plant has a bad voice. It's not pretty. It's not good. He just squeaks. He's not Ratt bad, but he's bad. And I really can't be the only one who ever noticed that in some of his songs... he just randomly sings different amounts of syllables and words.

2. Jimmi Page could not write rhythms. Good rhythms, anyway. I don't know what he was thinking but he wrote absolutely thoseterrible riffs (mostly butchered chords in an attempt to be "hard"... or at least I think he was trying to be hard.). Besides that sometimes the riffs  made next to zero sense in context.

Tool

1. The drummer is good, there isn't denying it, but he can't carry the band and on several occasions (namley "Aenima") he tries to do that, but for one falls short and for two a drumbeat can only be interesting for so long to begin with.

2. Adam Jones is a good guitar player. But alot of his riffs are very bland, not bad, just bland. Even bad bands often have interesting riffs... But Tool almost never does.

3. Maynard writes complicated lyrics just to look smart. This guy is a brilliant lyracist, and can metaphorically elude to things well and that's great, I think. But come on does he need to really make his lyrics so hard to understand? Most of his songs seemingly make no sense and you figure since he's so good why can't he write metaphorical songs that make freaking sense (i.e. Manson)?

4. Their songs are very often the length of 2-3 songs from other bands.  Considering that they don't normally do lead sections, they should-as decreed by law-not go for over about four minutes. The Ramones knew they couldn't musically compete with everyone else so they made short songs. Why can't Tool figure out their songs can't musically compete and shorten them up?

Anyway this is of course all my opinion and excuse me if it sound I was pushing it like fact but I am quite tired so I didn't have the energy to be friendly!

Guest saturnmark4life

All the nu metal of course it's been said blah blah. But still.

However, for me, Alien Ant Farm have to be the ultimate, ultimate worst. Worse than nickelback, A, limp bizkit all together. Just listen to 'attitude' that song nearly caused me to shoot myself after 1 hearing.

However, for me, Alien Ant Farm have to be the ultimate, ultimate worst. Worse than nickelback, A, limp bizkit all together. Just listen to 'attitude' that song nearly caused me to shoot myself after 1 hearing.

Preach on brother!

Guest Edwin MacPhisto
4. Their songs are very often the length of 2-3 songs from other bands.  Considering that they don't normally do lead sections, they should-as decreed by law-not go for over about four minutes. The Ramones knew they couldn't musically compete with everyone else so they made short songs. Why can't Tool figure out their songs can't musically compete and shorten them up?

Can't musically compete?  Where, on commercial rock radio?  Shit, I'd much rather listen to the dynamic movements of "Ticks and Leeches" or "Eulogy" for 8 minutes then some Alien Ant Farm pap for 3 minutes.

And the Ramones comparison is really way off.  The Ramones played great music, but it was three-chord punk rock, and that's all it was.  Tool's music is infinitely more complex--it really can't be compared at all, except to say that you can call them different types of rock music.

If you want Tool streamlined down to 4 minute songs, buy the APC album.  It's a different sound with a lot of the same creative minds behind it, and it's shorter and simpler.

One other thing:

The drummer is good, there isn't denying it, but he can't carry the band and on several occasions (namley "Aenima") he tries to do that, but for one falls short and for two a drumbeat can only be interesting for so long to begin with.

I won't argue with the fact that some of the tracks--yes, notably "Aenema"--are mixed with a bit too much emphasis on the bottom, on the drum fill, and that can wear tiresome.  However, if there's a drummer out there who can carry a band, it's Danny Carey.  Bar none.  He's the best drummer in rock music today, in this humblest opinion.

Guest CoreyLazarus416

Edwin, I think WeCallHimAMark was referring to the fact that The Ramones knew they weren't on par with, say, Pink Floyd and Rush and their ilk, so they created shorter songs so that the riffs/lines/beats wouldn't be too overexposed. In this vein, I can see the reference, since Tool seems to make 8-minute long songs based around 2-3 riffs, with maybe a small interlude that's a variation of the riff.

I hate Limp Bizkit because they are a bunch of hypocrites, Durst said, "We gotta stop the hate." Next thing ya' know, they release a remix album of all of there songs including ones about killing people who don't pay him back and shoving cookies up people's asses.

Yes, I do know what he meant by cookies.

I like Linkin Park, oops, did I say that out loud?

Guest Edwin MacPhisto
Edwin, I think WeCallHimAMark was referring to the fact that The Ramones knew they weren't on par with, say, Pink Floyd and Rush and their ilk, so they created shorter songs so that the riffs/lines/beats wouldn't be too overexposed. In this vein, I can see the reference, since Tool seems to make 8-minute long songs based around 2-3 riffs, with maybe a small interlude that's a variation of the riff.

::shrug::  I suppose can I buy that, but I really don't think there's any working band today (short of the underground, where who knows what could be happening while we're all oblivious) making new music that's as purely sonically impressive as Tool.  For me the riffs work because they form a foundation of a lot of exploration along the way, but I can see how they might not for others.

Guest TheyCallMeMark

Yeah Laz got what I was saying.

Sorry for confusion.

I've listened to the APC album, decent album. It's way better that any of Tool's, I think.

And you may be right about him being the strongest drummer today; though I'd say he had some stiff competition for the title. Some metal band drummers (i.e. Slipknot, Mudvayne) are pretty damn impressive even though their bands aren't so good. If Grohl was drumming he could give Carey a run for his money.

And if you want to go for older bands who are still around, Rush's drummer is still king. Ulrich would do pretty well also, I reckon.

Guest CoreyLazarus416

Ulrich...**shudder**

Even when he was in his drumming prime, ...And Justice For All, he was beaten-out by other drummers.

As for mainstream musicians, Tommy Lee is one hell of a drummer. Same goes for Vinnie Paul of Pantera (listen to Vulgar Display Of Power and Cowboys From Hell for details).

As for mainstream and sonically impressive...Tool is the only band that stands out, I agree. So, that's a plus...

And, as I said, I can stand some Tool songs. I respect them, because they can get the job done well. But they're really overrated, and annoying if in large doses.

Guest Shaved Bear

theres a drummer for this band nevermore, their drummer is just pure insanity

Guest godthedog

i can't stand elvis.  he's the most overrated music artist ever.  i know he did a lot for rock & roll, blah blah blah, but this man does not stand the test of time at all.  i'm not too fond of his swagger, and i don't like his voice.  in terms of rock evolution, the beatles left his ass in the dust.  now he sounds like every other radio relic from the 50s.  the only thing of his that i really enjoyed was the acoustic session of his 68 comeback special.  

the sex pistols.  i can stand them just fine, but they're horribly overrated.  they were part of the spirit of the times, & they pissed off all the right people.  but musically, these guys did absolutely nothing new.  the music, again, doesn't stand the test of time.  they worked from a formula, just like everybody else.  rotten's lyrics aren't particularly insightful, & they sure as hell don't have any poetic value.  these guys are as guilty as anyone else of putting the image before the music.

Guest El Satanico

Linkin Park is the only current "band" that i truly hate. I just can't stand anything about them and i run to turn the channel anytime they come on a radio. The singing is horribly annoying and he doesn't have enough of a voice to try singing. The rapper is just flat out terrible and there is not one redeemable thing about him.

Most of the other current stuff i can tolerate. I'm not saying i like it, want to listen to it and would buy any of it. I'm just saying if they come on the radio i don't feel the need to stab myself in the ears with a fork. I will listen to and like it if it sounds good to me. If it doen't sound good to my ears i simply don't listen to it. I mean honestly unless it happens to fall into your favorite genre and they consistently put out terrible songs it's rather pointless to hate music performers.

Stuff like alien ant farm i enjoyed Smooth Criminal and i've never heard any of their other songs. I mean honestly why would i or anyone not brainwashed bother with their other songs. It was rather obvious that they were one hit wonders from the very beginning. So instead of wasting time with something that i knew would suck and piss me off i only cared about that one song. Eh i guess i just don't get caught up in this stigmata that people put on anything popular and just like whatever sounds good to me.

Another band i hate would have to be Van Halen. I cannot staaaand Van Halen argh. It can be Dave, Sammy or the new lead singers i don't care Van Halen is shit and i can't stand them. I can tolerate a few Dave VH songs but other then that it's pure shite. I think my hatred of them comes from my local radio stations who seem to play VH at least once every 30 minutes. I could only take so much and it drove me to despise them.

I hate Limp Bizkit because they are a bunch of hypocrites, Durst said, "We gotta stop the hate." Next thing ya' know, they release a remix album of all of there songs including ones about killing people who don't pay him back and shoving cookies up people's asses.

What song was he doing about killing people? And how did his band member search go? Maybe no one wanted to join after stole there music.

the sex pistols.  i can stand them just fine, but they're horribly overrated.
Wasn't the lead singer a murderer and a racist. I can't remember his his name but I heard he killed his girlfriend and wore shirts with swastikas on them.

As for Jeff Buckley.......Sorry I can't stand him. He just screeches and whines and I can't here what he's saying. He just sound like he's killing time with his guitar in his basement and not making an alubm.....

Guest Kinetic
the sex pistols.  i can stand them just fine, but they're horribly overrated.
Wasn't the lead singer a murderer and a racist. I can't remember his his name but I heard he killed his girlfriend and wore shirts with swastikas on them.

That was the bassist, Sid Vicious.  And the swastika thing was more a means of shocking people, which was the entire purpose of the band, than any sort of political statement.

As for Jeff Buckley.......Sorry I can't stand him. He just screeches and whines and I can't here what he's saying. He just sound like he's killing time with his guitar in his basement and not making an alubm.....

What songs have you heard?  Better yet, who have you mistaken for Jeff Buckley?

Guest Edwin MacPhisto

Buckley's got high register vocals, but screeching?  Man, never heard that before.

Hit "Last Goodbye," "Mojo Pin," and "Eternal Life" to see the range this guy's got.  And I still believe he has the best version of Cohen's "Hallelujah" that anyone's ever turned out.

Guest Anorak

Oasis

Sure there's a lot worse bands out there but i just can't stand the monkey twins. The people who think Oasis 'define rock'n'roll' also piss me off, good rock'n'roll shouldn't sound dull, safe and predictable.

There's just too many bland rappers and 'R'n'B' artists out there who are just crap. Missy Elliott's one of the most annoying and overated of that large group.

Guest godthedog

oh SHIT, that's right, i forgot about oasis.  if oasis didn't say they were the fucking beatles, i could easily ignore them.  but since they insist on ripping off and comparing themselves to the greatest band ever, i fucking hate them.  HATE THEM.  where does noel or liam get the balls big enough to say "if it were 1966, we'd be the beatles"?  where does liam get the balls big enough to say one of his songs could stand up to anything lennon ever wrote?  whenever i read any of their interviews it makes me want to cut off those enormous balls of theirs, deep fry them, & feed them to each monkeyfuck brother.

and why do they have to rip off the beatles in all the wrong ways?  why can't they just say, "hey, you know, the beatles tried new things in the studio and wrote great songs, we should do that"?  i'd be fine with them if they did that.  jesus i hate that band.

This is just kind of a general thing, but about the people who claim "Popular Music" is what they hate, I just want to say how fucking narrow that is.  I mean, personally, here's how I judge music:

1.  I listen to it.

2.  If it sounds good, I like it.

3.  If it sounds bad, I don't like it.

Is this your method?

1.  You watch MTV and listen to the radio.

2.  Any band you hear mention of at ANY point, you add them to your list of hated music.

3.  Everything else is fine.

I'm sorry but I don't see the logic in that.  Its basically music facism to dismiss an entire genre of music as stuff you "hate".  I don't listen to Linkin Park or Nickelback either, but the difference is, I actually LISTENED to it before I decided I don't like it.

Guest Shaved Bear

hey i cant stand linkin park either, but i can say every lyric to in the end off the top of my head, its one thing for a band to suck, its another thing for them to suck and have them overexposed, and overglorified, if im not mistaken some dj said they were the next metallica, i practically threw up upon hearing that