TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Matt Young

Earthquakes

We just had an earthquake minutes ago here in Riverside County, California. There was another one on Sunday morning, but for some reason, we didn't feel it at my house. This one shook the shit out of us, though. It was my first ever earthquake experience, and I was a little startled.

Does anyone have any interesting earthquake stories?

We just had an earthquake minutes ago here in Riverside County, California.  There was another one on Sunday morning, but for some reason, we didn't feel it at my house.  This one shook the shit out of us, though.  It was my first ever earthquake experience, and I was a little startled.

Does anyone have any interesting earthquake stories?

It was definitely a little large. It started with a small rumble, and grew to a pretty midsize quake. Also, that earthquake compared to Northridge, was nothing.

Yeah, I wasn't sure what was going on it first. For some reason, it didn't immediately register as "earthquake". I was just like, "Holy shit my house is shaking!"

I was more concerned with the possibility of it being a sign the world ending seeing as, now that I am happy, something like that is bound to go wrong.

Yeah, my wife was freaked out about the quakes going on. There was also a tsunami warning for Southern California earlier this week. Did people attempt to go inland? No, they went to the fucking beach. Idiots.

Earthquakes have never bothered me. Being born and raised in the Bay Area will do that to you, no doubt. Even the Loma Prieta quake in 89 didn't do much to rattle me and that fucker was huge.

They scare the hell out of my Grandmother though. Ever since the '72 quake in Managua, Nicaragua, she's been terrified of them. Which makes her decision to come to California all the more confusing.

A 5.3 earthquake is nothing, just enough to make you feel it.

I was at the World Series for the '89 quake, now THAT was an earthquake.

Guest Vitamin X

Yeah, if it's not even a 6 on the Richter scale, it's just enough to feel it but it's nothing. The only thing I'd be concerned about is that there was just another mid-size one a bit up the fault in Northern California.

I went through Northridge and host of other quakes, as well as several hurricanes, so I've pretty much experienced everything Mother Nature can throw at me. Northridge sucked because I lived in Burbank at the time, which is right by Northridge (no more than maybe a few miles), and I was just moving to Santa Clarita, which got hit pretty hard by the quakes, but worst of all, the freeway leading into Santa Clarita Valley collapsed so there was no way in or out of there except through a dangerous mountain pass or by helicopter, until the freeways were repaired.

Earthquakes are scary because you feel them more than hurricanes, but they don't last nearly as long as the impending doom of a hurricane, not to mention everything and everyone gets affected by a hurricane, whereas that only happens with a large quake, which isn't all too often.

Thanks for creeping me the fuck out before I go to sleep. I live about 20 miles from where the quake was earlier today, and the San Andreas fault isn't too far away. Thank you very fucking much.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I've never been in an earthquake, though my buddy's house shakes every tuesday and thursday when they're blasting at the stone quarry down the road.

Thanks for creeping me the fuck out before I go to sleep.  I live about 20 miles from where the quake was earlier today, and the San Andreas fault isn't too far away.  Thank you very fucking much.

Christ says you're fucked.

Matt I havent felt any of these recent ones(and I probably should have considering I live basically on the beach), but my mom is scared now. I have been in Cali for almost 11 years and I have only felt like two quakes. My dad is visiting in NY right now and keeps calling, gettign worried when he hears reports. Being close to the ocean everyone is afraid of Tsunamis (as the LA area actually got a warning last week when one hit-though it was only about 1cm tsunami)

I have an interesting story, when I was a kid in the 80s we actually had a quake in NYC. It was really bizzare. I had no clue what was happening, my parents freaked out and grabbed me and forgot about my baby sister who slept through it in her crib.

I moved here just months after the Northridge quake. I understand that it was felt here alot, as some friends houses were messed up.

when I was in 11th grade, We had a little one while I was in English class taking a test. We just shrugged it off and continued the test, but my sisters teacher , who also taught me in a diff class(who was legit crazy-infact later on she got put in a instution)went insane with fear and started to yell and run around campus.

I felt a nice one in near xmas time 2003. It was a roller and I felt a little dizzy and the floor was moving and the walls were moving like "wee-wahhhh"

Last year some fools predicted the big one for a day in sept but obviosuly were wrong.

It is a bit scary though.