TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bob_barron

Weekend Box Office Report

A final word about Batman Begins...

The word "disappointment" is a total exaggeration so long as movies like "Lords of Dogtown" exist.

Guest SP-1

"Disappointment" is an exaggeration. Period.

In the case of BEGINS, at least.

I also want to see Mr. and Mrs. Smith unless someone here has already seen it and can tell me not to waste my money on it.
Watch it. I know your taste in movies, and you'll enjoy it.

Well, thing is Begins is more on a track to do Hulk type business than Spidey type business. I'd expect more out a Batman movie than I ever would that god awful Hulk movie. That said I think word of mouth will be a lot better, whereas it killed Hulk.

I also want to see Mr. and Mrs. Smith unless someone here has already seen it and can tell me not to waste my money on it.
Watch it. I know your taste in movies, and you'll enjoy it.

I didn't like Mr. and Mrs. Smith. The first half was okay, but the second half was horrible.

The movie has no ending!

:: shrugs ::

I didn't say anything about you liking it; I said that Secret Agent would like it... :P

And what do you mean, the movie has no ending? You see the two of them in marriage counseling, trying to work out their problems; that's definitely better than a simple "and they all lived happily ever after," don't you think?

All we know is they're having sex again.

What happened to Jolie's female assassin friends?

So are they still trying to kill Mr. and Mrs. Smith?

Who is 'they' anyway?

Did Mr. and Mrs. Smith eliminate all threats against them?

Is Mr. Smith still friends with Vince Vaughn's character?

The fact that the movie never established a villain was its major downfall.

I don't think that it was ever intended to be a true "action" movie, where a clear "face vs heel" dynamic is important; I thought of it more as a twist on the romantic comedy, where them being assassins was just the plot device that was used to justify the inevitable "fight" that happens between the two lovers in all romantic comedies. To me, the movie had more parallels to a movie like

Fever Pitch than it did to an action movie; it just happened to have a lot of shooting in it.

Therefore, to me, finding out who "the higher power" was isn't really all that important, as it isn't a part of the main plot; all the spy stuff was just secondary to the romance. It's like asking if Drew Barrymore's character in Fever Pitch lost her promotion by walking out on her celebration party, or did Chris take Ben to court over the tickets, saying that he signed the contract, and it was binding; I just don't see that it matters.

That's an interesting comparison Slim.

I would assume that the guy in Fever Pitch was either told by his wife to forget it or something- I don't remember Jimmy ever fully signing the contract.

I see your point about the movie. My problem is I never cared whether they got back together or not, since that was part of the plot and established at the end of the first hour. I guess on the bright side, they have a sequel easily set up.

A final word about Batman Begins...

The word "disappointment" is a total exaggeration so long as movies like "Lords of Dogtown" exist.

Well that's some out there logic right there.

Okay, let me spell it out for you...

"Batman Begins", a movie endlessly over-shadowed by hype for Star Wars, made $73 million in 5 days, and as of today was the number one movie for 2 weeks, totally over $120 million. It had a budget of $135 million. It'll probably earn about $200 million before the end of its theatrical run.

"Lords of Dogtown", a movie endlessly hyped on MTV and programs aimed at young people, didn't even crack the top 10. It was essentially completely ignored by everyone. It had a budget of $25 million. It'll probably won't even earn $10 million.

I never said Batman would end up a disappointment, but it's first 5 days was a disappointment. It has held up well though.

You've got to be kidding me if your comparing the hype of Batman to Lords of Dogtown.

LOD opened on less then 2,000 screens. Batman opened on 3,500.

I never said Batman would end up a disappointment, but it's first 5 days was a disappointment. It has held up well though.

And how much did Lords of Dogtown make in its first 5 days?

Like I said, get a little perspective when talking about disappointments.

and LOD didn't cost $25 million.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0355702/business

Lords of Dogtown was a disappointment as well in its first 5 days.

Just like Batman.

Yes Robot Jerk, two movies can be disappointments.

Lords of Dogtown was a disappointment as well in its first 5 days.

Just like Batman.

Yes Robot Jerk, two movies can be disappointments.

I'm sorry "Batman Begins" was a disappointment to YOU, but I'm sure there's some ACTUAL movie executives over at Warner Brothers who are more than happy to have the movie earn back its budget in 2 weeks.

It did well in its second week, I'm not disputing that.

I even saw the movie and thought it was good. But it didn't do that well its first week.