TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dr. Tom

Lois & Clark: TNAOS

The first season of Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman dropped on DVD a couple weeks ago. I picked it up because I remembered the first season as being good, and because I was without cable for about 10 days after moving. I'm most of the way thru the season, and it's actually aged pretty well. What I always liked about the first season is that Superman was a minor character, who only got a few minutes of screen time per episode. The first season was about the dynamic between Lois Lane and Clark Kent, and it pulls that off very well. Later seasons introduced more fantastical elements to the stories, which necessitated that Superman play a larger part. They also replaced the fellow who played Jimmy Olsen for the first season, which was a big mistake, IMO. Other perqs of the first season are the late Lane Smith's excellent portrayal of Perry White, John Shea's superb turn as Lex Luthor, and the hotness of Teri Hatcher. :wub:

Anyone else pick this up or remember the show when it originally aired in the mid-1990s?

Guest news_gimmick

I just picked it up too, and it was a good buy. I agree it has held up well, and this season was one of my favorites of the entire run. You took me by surprise those, I had not heard that Lane Smith had passed away. It happened 9 days ago :(

I just picked it up too, and it was a good buy. I agree it has held up well, and this season was one of my favorites of the entire run. You took me by surprise those, I had not heard that Lane Smith had passed away. It happened 9 days ago  :(

RIP Lane Smith, We'll miss you Chairman Dodge

Guest JMA

I only really cared for the first season myself. Killing Luthor was a HUGE mistake that the show never really recovered from, not to mention replacing Jimmy Olsen and writing Cat Grant off (with no explanation). The show also gets props for the incredibly hot Teri Hatcher (easily the hottest Lois Lane...so far).

And yes, Lane Smith (RIP) was great as Perry White. His obsession with Elvis made the character for me.

I started watching this show after it had gone into syndication. I think TNT used to run it for a while. Anyway, I liked it quite a bit. Didn't get to catch very much of the last year or two of it though.

This is one of the few tv dvd sets I might pick up.

Killing Luthor was a HUGE mistake that the show never really recovered from

I concur. Without a reliable villain and effective foil for Clark/Superman, the show spun its wheels a lot. I just watched "The House of Luthor" last night, and there were many more ways they could have gone. Simply having Luthor get arrested would have been a good option. He could be in jail and watch his financial empire crumble while he's unable to do much about it. When he gets out, he'd have to rebuild himself to where he was, and he'd still have his obsession with destroying Superman.

not to mention replacing Jimmy Olsen

Yeah, I'm not sure why they did that. I guess I'll have to wait for the season 2 DVD set. :-/ The fellow they got for the last three seasons (Justin Whalin?) just didn't click like the original Jimmy did.

and writing Cat Grant off (with no explanation).

I heard that was because Tracy Scoggins abruptly left the show. I always thought the character was pretty useless anyway. Comic relief was handled well enough by Jimmy, and they dynamics between Jimmy and Perry and Lois and Clark.

I always loved the episode where Lex Luthor buys out the Daily Planet, and that one kid gets framed for blowing up the printing plant. Clark, Lois, Jimmy and Perry are left without jobs and Lois shacks up with Luthor, much to the ire of Clark.