TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dubq

The OaO Mid-2005 Zombie Movie Tournament

But gore effects aren't really anyting to get that excited about. Hell, look at all the disgustingly gory Italian horror movies in the 70's like Cannibal Holocaust. Day had good gore effects because they hired Tom Savini, no other reason.

Dude, seriously. Give it up. You're not going to convince anyone who LIKES Day that it's crap, so why are you even bothering?

Guest Dynamite Kido
I just didn't get what the commentary was supposed to be.  To me, Romero has never been that good at it anyway; it's mostly just really obvious jokes.  In Dawn: the people in shopping malls are like zombies.  In Land: rich people are evil.  Romero is many things, but a deep and thoughtful observer of the social zeitgeist isn't one of them. 

Ok, I also thought Day was also pretty easy to see myself. But I guess I'm wrong on that.....

So the only difference is that you see where they land in Day.  It's still exactly the same damn thing: human conflict comes to a head, zombies invade the fortress, evil people get eaten, a few good guys get away in a helicopter.

When you generalize everything like that then ALL movies are the same. They are either happy or sad endings.

Which death scene?  I assume you mean the one where the guy's eye socket was torn apart.  Yeah, that was pretty harsh.  But still, I didn't see one gore effect in Day that wasn't very similar to stuff that had already been done in Dawn and countless other movies. 

Vivi was right, I was talking about Rhodes death.

Hell, I think Shaun nailed the social commentary better than Romero ever did.  It had the Romero zombies, yeah, but what it did with them was utterly and completely different from any movie ever before.  For once, the characters in a zombie film have actually seen zombie films before, and it influenced their actions.

Personally I will agree that they nailed the social commentary wonderfully with Shaun. It wasn't anything "deep" or "pressing" either. What did they do with the zombies that hasn't been done before in some degree though? Well, it wouldn't be the first time in a zombie movie either that the characters have seen zombie films before either. Return of the Living Dead did it twenty years before Shaun did.............and did that part better.