TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jericholic82

UPW SUPERSTARS DVD

Hope this belongs in this the Movies section and not the other wrestling sec, but feel free to move it if needed.

Hey Yesterday I was at Suncoast and they had this dvd from UPW called Pro wrestling Superstars. It appears to be a UPW live show featuring some big names like DDP, Rikishi,Konnan, Chyna/Joanie Laurer, Psychosis, Roddy Piper, Ken Shamrock and others. As well as some other Top indy names like Frankie Kazarian, Jerry Lynn, Hardkore Kidd (Jesus in WWE) and many other.

It was only 7.99 so I said "what the heck" and bought it. Plus the extras include a Joanie musical performance, and that's wrestlecrap, so I'm so there!

I haven't watched it yet, but popped it in for a quick look annd DOES IT EVER LOOK CRAPPILY DONE.

I mean yea I expect crappy cameras and mono sound, but it looks so pixilated on a bigger tv cuz it is rather dark. It looks better on my 13 in tv using my PS2

and my other DVD player is a cheap APEX one so who knows, but it is very poorly done.

Anyhoo, after I see it I will give a quick review for all you who might care.

I'm aware of them being a feeder. I remember they had a special on their school and promotion on the discorvery channel back in 2000, which spotlighted among others, The Prototype (AKA John Cena) being a great prospect out of their school.

They seem to have a pretty good promotion, but I have never been able to catch a show cuz they run shows in places like Santa Ana which is a bit too far away for me to go.

Wow they moved the topic, well I was going to put it here first but figured since it was a dvd topic it might fit in the other folder, oh well.

Anyhow I will post my thoughts after I get a chance to watch it through.

I thought the DVD was pretty dumb. It costed me 10 bucks, but someone else I talked to said they got it for 8 buckm too, so I guess I overpaid. It did seem pretty poorly produced to me. The video quality was really pretty shitty for me too considering its a nationally produced DVD. The matches themselves were fun, but the video quality was what pissed me off. And Joanie's rendition of that song was hilarious...gotta love the heckling she got, although I do give her credit for sticking wtih it.

Almost all of UPW's dvds are average indy shows with really, REALLY godawful production. They look and sound so fucking terrible that I can't believe that anyone would actually sell these discs in a retail store. Bad footage quality, bad lighting, bad camerawork, bad camera placement, bad editing, bad crowd/ring sound, bad commentary sound, bad everything. My old federation's home-brewed DVDRs that my boss made on his home PC look and sound a hundred times better than this.

Yeah, the commentary sound did indeed suck too. This was the first of UPW I've ever seen except for matches I've donwloaded on the net, and I wasn't impressed by their product at all. They're supposed to be a WWE developmental league? Ha.

I watched a few matches so far annd the video and sound quality (you can't even hear the crowd in most of the matches cuz of the commentary dubbed over and you have to lower the volume cuz of a loud hissing noise. really makes it hard to enjoy it. Lynn/Kazarian/Karagia is not good at all IMO and features the same spots you have seen repeated iNnTNA for a while now. Shamrock/Predator is a long, boring match.

Actually I did notice that this was not all from 1 show but from a few diffferent ones, and paprantly some of them were from the UPW tv show (especially the skits obivously). The skits are lame and not even as so bad its good like XPW's and not too funny as well. Though Adam Pearce wiping his ass by tearing out pages of DDP's book was pretty funny. Joanie's singing was "classic crap" and the audience response was great. Someone keeps yelling out Triple H.

All in all, WHY DID I BUY THIS CRAP?

I had seen a review for another UPW dvd online and it was given a favorable review and they never mentioned the qulaity being that bad LIARS.

I don't even have any drive to finish watching it, but I probably will since I actually paid for it. I think I bought it cuz you never seen any dvds for under 10 bucks at Suncoast usually.

Good thing I din't but the other dvd of UPW they had (it was a used copy of a show for like 4.50)

Hell those before they were stars dvds of like Austin and Foley were way better produced than these.

OH WELL, LIVE AND LEARN

Another note, UPW would get sued if more than 3 people bought the dvds. They used both Jimmy Snukas, and Shamrocks WWF themes, as well as using "Hey Ya" during the party segment and Britney Spears' "Toxic" in the feature on the UPW dancers.

Wish wwe could get away with this huh?