TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dandy

Which DVD's have the best commentaries?

Off the top of my head, the Futurama commentaries, the 2 for Series 1 of Arrested Development (too bad there couldn't be more) and the Red Dwarf commentaries. Half of it is the cast having a go at each other and laughing about it, and whinging about everyone else getting the laughs during the show.

One needs to divide this into 2 categories, 1)The commentary track where the principals involved either rip the movie or just joke and have a good time (Evil Dead, Kevin Smith flicks) and 2)The ones with actual facinating info on the making of the film (ie Ebert's comments on Casablanca and Citizen Kane, James Cameron & William Wisher on T2, PTA solo on Boogie Nights)

There's actually a commentary on the Speed DVD by Graham Yost (the writer) and Mark Gordon (the producer) that's a wonderful example of both as they talk about the movie, but also have fun laughing at some of the more implausible parts.

Dude, Where's My Car commentary with Seann William Scott, Ashton Kutcher and Director Danny Leiner was pretty funny

Fight Club commentary with Edward Norton, Helena Bonham Carter, Brad Pitt and David Fincher, this alone made me respect Brad Pitt cause he was funny as hell.

Most Kevin Smith movie commentaries are solid.

Road to Rhode Island commentary with Brian and Stewie classic.

Evil Dead, especially Bruce Campbell's during the tree-rape scene. "You know, at this point, we used to lose about 85% of the audience in the theater, and I can't figure out why...**branch goes into girl's vagina**...oh yeah, that's why."

Cannibal! The Musical, though, has the best commentary I've ever heard. Trey, Matt, Dian, Jason, and the kid who played the Trapper with the mohawk all getting drunk while watching the movie, and Trey breaking down emotionally about his failed relationship with the girl that played Polly Pry. And, of course, at the credits, all of them agreeing to go to a titty bar and Trey yelling "YEAH, TITTY BAR! TITTY BAR!"