TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MarvinisaLunatic

Capcom screws Nintendo again..

I think everyone knows how Capcom promised to deliver 5 Gamecube exclusive games and how that ended up (Viewtiful Joe, RE4 and Killer 7 end up on the PS2, PN04 was exclusive but sucked and the other game got canned)

So now:

"Utilizing the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360's unprecedented power, Resident Evil 5 promises to revolutionize the series by delivering an unbelievable level of detail, realism, and control. Resident Evil 5 is certain to bring new fans to the series while expanding the world of videogame entertainment to new heights; confirming once again Capcom's long-standing reputation as a bold innovator within the industry."

Gaming Horizon article

This pisses me off to no end. RE4 was easily the best non-Nintendo produced game to grace the Gamecube, and they went to the trouble of re-releasing all of the games for the Gamecube. No one was asking/expecting RE 5 to be released only on the Rev., but it could at least get released on the Rev.

Maybe they have no confidence that the Revolution will sell enough for it to be worth their time to port games to it. This is nothing new; a bunch of third parties ported games to PS2 and X-Box but not GC, because ports to GC almost never sold (unless they whored out Link).

Get used to this, it's gonna happen a lot.

Really, Nintendo screwed Nintendo.

They've been keeping the hardware so under wraps, there aren't any Revolution dev kits yet, but there are PS3/Xbox360 ones.

You may see a port later on, though..

Give me a break. Capcom knows the score and that game will NO DOUBT be released on the Revolution a year or so down the line from it's initial PS3 release.

You act like this has never happened before..

It's a MONEY MAKING CYCLE, people!!

Maybe they have no confidence that the Revolution will sell enough for it to be worth their time to port games to it.  This is nothing new; a bunch of third parties ported games to PS2 and X-Box but not GC, because ports to GC almost never sold (unless they whored out Link).

Get used to this, it's gonna happen a lot.

He speaks the truth.

Wow, how money talks. The RE4 game does AWESOME, but they lose confidence in Nintendo just because they are keeping things under wraps.

Fuck Capcom....

Wow, how money talks. The RE4 game does AWESOME, but they lose confidence in Nintendo just because they are keeping things under wraps.

Fuck Capcom....

Hmm? How about fuck Nintendo instead?

Fuck Capcom....

Nintendo's trying to protect themselves, since they're going up against not one, but two MNCs who have vastly superior resources to them.

That's not saying the Revolution will be any good, but it's something worth keeping in mind before bashing Nintendo. They're no longer able to directly compete. They were at a disadvantage when Sony first entered the industry just because Sony is Sony.

Fuck Capcom....

Not really, because after reading this, Nintendo is the victim of what I call corporate greed, but AT THIS POINT, no one has a clue whether the secrecy of the Revolution is hurting them.

The same amount of secrecy was around when the Rumble Pak appeared. What was gonna happen with Star Fox 64? Was Nintendo just gonna let Sony make Star Fox 64, after they BLATANTLY stole the idea of the the Rumble Pak from Nintendo?

Actually, the "Dual Shock" incorporated the feature directly into the controller itself, and didn't have the shock feature as part of an optional add on. The Dreamcast "Jump Pack" was blatantly ripped off of Nintendo.

But Sony got sued over the Dual Shock, so whatever.

They've been keeping the hardware so under wraps, there aren't any Revolution dev kits yet, but there are PS3/Xbox360 ones.

Has anything been released about it yet?

Has anything been released about it yet?

About the only thing that hasn't is the controller.

We've seen the system, the specs and the fact that its going to be able to play classic nintendo games.

Guest MikeSC

Maybe Capcom is actually looking to make money and Nintendo is not the money machine it was 10 yrs ago.

Fuck Capcom....

Nintendo's trying to protect themselves, since they're going up against not one, but two MNCs who have vastly superior resources to them.

That's not saying the Revolution will be any good, but it's something worth keeping in mind before bashing Nintendo. They're no longer able to directly compete. They were at a disadvantage when Sony first entered the industry just because Sony is Sony.

Oh, boo-hoo, my heart bleeds peanut butter. They've sown their own grave and have no one to blame but themselves for not being able to directly compete.

"They've sown their own grave and have no one to blame but themselves for not being able to directly compete. "

How?

By simply not being a multi-billion dollar company that owns record companies, movie studios, practically all of Japan?

Yet Sega made 3 crappy systems in a row, but since the DC was great, I picked it up.

Nintendo still has a ton of money though. They make more profit that sony and are doing better financially.

They lost because Sony made good decisions and Nintendo is constantly doing stupid things.

^^^ See above.

Nintendo was once the dominating force in consoles. It's not Capcom's fault that they've lost their spot due to stupid decisions. *cough*usingcartridgeslongpasttheirlifespan*cough*

Pikmin aside I think the Gamecube has by far the worst set of exclusives that I've ever seen for a mainstream console. Even the big names like Mario and Zelda were given pretty craptacular outings and no follow ups. And this isn't the N64 era where Nintendo can use pokemon as a crutch to support themselves.

Capcom have had one of the most critically and commercially successful years in a long time so I don't blame them for not wanting to take chance and lose money with Nintendo.

*looks forward to paying for snes roms on the revolution...then turns on znes*

^^^ See above.

Nintendo was once the dominating force in consoles. It's not Capcom's fault that they've lost their spot due to stupid decisions. *cough*usingcartridgeslongpasttheirlifespan*cough*

Which would have been completely irrelevant anyway when your competition had a huge head start and has more money than God.

Both Dreamcast and N64 were screwed, to some extent, by their choice in medium. That was only one factor, though. Cartridges themselves were *not* the problem--rather, it was 3rd parties dislike of using them. The N64 was still a success, but the decision was shortsighted. Dreamcast was developed before it became apparent just how big DVDs were going to be (of course, the ease of pirating DC discs can't be overlooked), but Sega's previous hardware failures and poor/nonexistent marketing doomed it.

Judgment's out on Revolution, although with it coming out last, having a poor relationship with 3rd parties, and already generating negative press puts them at a disadvantage already.

I don't doubt that Silicon Knights, HAL, Retro, etc. already have development kits, but there's a line between being cautious and being paranoid. That being said, the only "bad" Nintendo system has been the VB, and I expect quality for the Revolution. However, unless something huge happens to dislodge all of Sony's tentacles at once, they don't have any chance in hell of making significant gains, and neither does Microsoft, really. Yes, even if you ignore Japan.

Really though, this is just an announcement that Capcom is making a game for systems that're less than a year away. PS3 development kits were recently sent out. No big surprise, then.

I think the argument about Revolution's purported power has been blown out of proportion. The weakest console has dominated a market before, and the strongest consoles have sometimes been dead last. The important factor--arguably the only one that really matters--is 3rd party support and the games they provide. That's where the Revolution isn't looking too good right now.

Is Silicon Knights still a second-party for Nintendo ? I read one time that they could go multi-consoles because, apparently, there were problems with the amount they received for Eternal Darkness.

And if I might add, even though it has nothing to do with the subject, I've just finished ED for the first time yesterday, God was that game amazing. The sanity effects are great.

Is Silicon Knights still a second-party for Nintendo ?  I read one time that they could go multi-consoles because, apparently, there were problems with the amount they received for Eternal Darkness.

My mistake; they're doing Too Human on XB360 now.

Guest Essa_Angelico

Has anyone else checked out that small trailer for Resi 5 yet? Saw it and thought it was impressive.

Can't find a link to the trailer at the moment due to this:

July 26, 2005 - Citing an official press document from Sony's PlayStation Meeting 2005, Capcom asked Internet publications to remove any sign of movies or stills taken from the Resident Evil 5 trailer. According to a company official, the trailer was never to be filmed in the first place and will be aired officially in the near future. No real window of time was given, however.

Those who were lucky enough to catch the wildly popular Japanese trailer were treated to a pretty impressive vision of what the future of Resident Evil looks like. A lone soldier finds himself in a desert town, quite similar to the scenes from Somalia featured in Black Hawk Down. The wavy distortion and haze of the hot climate is a continuing theme. As he searches the city he is startled by a large flock of black birds. The trailer then cuts to a team of undead-like creatures staggering under the bright mid-day sun; soon after, the creatures shadows paint nearby walls, showing they are now running. Soon they close in on the lead character, he spins around to greet them with his sleek, modern pistol and the trailer abruptly ends with the teaser "Biohazard" (known as Resident Evil to the rest of the world.