TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
USC Wuz Robbed!

UPN Bans Hassan Permanently

They should have the whole SD locker room come out during the match and drag Hassan out of the ring. Then take him out of the arena. Then right before the main event, air "LIVE!" footage (aka pretaped) of the guys throwing Hassan off the bridge or something.

Killing someone should be the new GAB tradition. And this would be better than UT just squashing him. Still think moving him to Raw is the most painless solution, but this is the best idea for getting rid of him.

Although, most of the people who support Hassan being "killed off" would also most likely be offended by what you proposed, which is essentially a lynching.

That's the point, to offend the people who screwed it up for them. I want Hassan killed off, but not because he offends me, but just because he's annoying. This is the ideal way to do it, the whole locker room hates him. They should have a hand in his demise.

Guest jm29195
And for people that are so ridiculously overjoyed that this "awful" storyline might be over, what exactly entertains you all?

Pretty much everything else apart from the Diva search really, although for totally different reasons, these are the only 2 things in the entire time that I've watched wrestling in any form that I've switched channels as soon as the segment/character comes on..... it's not just the Hassan character although this is a MAJOR part of it, but the guy is totally useless in the ring compared to the push he is getting and only gets heat at all due to the current events that are occuring whilst he is on tv.....

When I watch wrestling I watch it for the actual wrestling, a good storyline/character can enhance the actual wrestling match and add to the entertainment value, but a bad storyline/character normally dosn't affect my enjoyment of a match once it gets going but this character and the push it has recieved, using real life death and disharmony as a conduit for money for VKM - I may be wrong but has the Hassan character ever had a noticable boost on ratingsas far as I can tell, he has never been involved in a good match and all the segments Hassan has appeared in have just used cheap heat tactics to gain boos from the crowd- so what is the point of pissing off and alienating large parts of your audience to gain.... what exactly??

Guest Trecko
cheech (fitting name for your mushminded remarks) - The following are DRAWS for the wwe:

John Cena

Eddy Guerrero

Rey Misterio Jr

Brock Lesnar (when hes back)

Undertaker

And, to a lesser extent for various reasons - HHH, Batista, Angle, HBK, Hogan, SCSA, Big Show, Bradshaw, Foley.

These guys have proven themselves to be money draws...Eddy/Rey bring in huge money from the Hispanic demo, Cena has the youngsters, Taker for his image, and Lesnar will draw again when he returns. If an announcement is made that Austin or Foley or Rock will appear somewhere, itll be money. HBK-Hogan will sell some ppv buys no doubt. HHH is still the #1 guy in the company and his absence should see him bringin in bigger numbers when he comes back, if alls done right.

Hassan, however, is not and will nit be a draw.

I'm REALLY thinking the guy's comparing "draws" from now to back 98/99 with Austin and Rock. And of all the guys you mentioned that are the big current draws, I only see Cena as the most realistic, and possibly Lesnar, when he does come back. MAYBE Taker. I can't honestly hear in my head "OMG EDDIE GUERRERO'S ON THE CARD! GOTTA GO SEE IT THAT SHOW!", and I'm a fan of Eddie. Same for Mysterio. Hogan, Austin and Rock will definitely spike ratings/attendence to some degree, but as of current, every day guys in the company, outside of really maybe Cena, I'd be really surprised if other WWE "superstars" are really puttin asses in seats like they used to.

Hassan in funny boots that curve into a horn at the toe and speaking in a ridiculously overstated accent, spitting on all that is the USA and riding in on a camel would entertain me. Seriously.

Don't give me nuanced angsty "I'm an American too!" bullshit. I like my foreign heels stupid and cartoonish so I can call them dirty yellow Japs or damn Rooskies or sand people. That's pro-wrestling.

lol @ this, by the way.

And for people that are so ridiculously overjoyed that this "awful" storyline might be over, what exactly entertains you all?

Pretty much everything else apart from the Diva search really, although for totally different reasons, these are the only 2 things in the entire time that I've watched wrestling in any form that I've switched channels as soon as the segment/character comes on..... it's not just the Hassan character although this is a MAJOR part of it, but the guy is totally useless in the ring compared to the push he is getting and only gets heat at all due to the current events that are occuring whilst he is on tv.....

When I watch wrestling I watch it for the actual wrestling, a good storyline/character can enhance the actual wrestling match and add to the entertainment value, but a bad storyline/character normally dosn't affect my enjoyment of a match once it gets going but this character and the push it has recieved, using real life death and disharmony as a conduit for money for VKM - I may be wrong but has the Hassan character ever had a noticable boost on ratingsas far as I can tell, he has never been involved in a good match and all the segments Hassan has appeared in have just used cheap heat tactics to gain boos from the crowd- so what is the point of pissing off and alienating large parts of your audience to gain.... what exactly??

:cheers:

The guy is fantastic on the mic and his lacking in-ring skills seem to be far more a result of inexperience instead of lacking the attitude to learn the craft (Cena, Carlito).  Why would you want a 24 year old with immeasurable upside who's over as shit to be buried and removed from the roster>

Fantastc on the mic - not my my standards. Playing off against the war is cheap heat in it's most mediocre form, Davari could do as good of a job if not better than him. I dont see at all where anyone thinks he can cut great fantastic promos. They all come off boring, tedious, and predictable to me. Not one has actually made me want to see Hassan work a program with ANYONE. How can you make a feud with a hot off the HOF returning Hogan and a very over Michaels boring as fuck?

Immesurable upside? Huh?

And where are people getting it that he's fucking over?!!! Is he drawing huge quarter hour ratings? No. Did he draw against one of the easiest and most successful babyface draws EVER in Hogan? No. Did people care when he went back and forth with Austin (meaning did the quarter hours soar through the roof)? No.

The reality of the situation is now WWE, I think, realizes playing off the controversy wont work, nothing has worked to get this guy over as a draw, and they finally gave up. I would too if I was them.

While I will agree to disagree in regards to Hassan's entertainment factor, it is really unfair to blame him for not being a draw. NO ONE IN THE WWE today is a draw. The brand draws and that's it.

You just said he was a draw though (or should I say "over" which is the same to me as a "draw", now you're saying he's not and just the brand is?

Over does not equal draw in my book. A character that is over receives a strong reaction from the fans, be it positive or negative. Hassan receives a reaction by playing an interesting character. The crowd pops when he comes out and boos when talks. That's over.

A draw denotes someone who makes money for the company, of which there are none on the current roster. WWE shows and PPVs make money because of the brand name, and not any single character.

Ok I'll give you that, so over to you is not a draw, sorry for misunderstanding.

With that said though, I'm still not seeing a "strong reaction" from the crowd for him, and you are saying its because it's an interesting character? I'm seeing the same reaction, say, La Resistance would get. Seriously.

I think some people in the company are draws in certain situations still at this point but that is a whole other subject in itself. If it was just the brand that was drawing, I really dont think Mania would have drawn as well as it did this year. Why did Mania XIX not pull a similar buyrate then if its just the "brand" along that has been holding ground? Sure, Mania 20 drew because of the brand and in general, just the name WrestleMania, but I think it's a little ridiculous to say NOBODY is drawing. When you go to a live event and see Cena, Rey Jr, and Austin merchandise, as an example, on just about every other person depending on the show you go to, how is that not really drawing? The numbers arent down enough to fully say nobody is drawing at this point if you ask me.

"Muhammad Hassan being killed at the pay-per-view" = oh man, Magnus is going to take a fucking beating on Sunday.

Did he draw against one of the easiest and most successful babyface draws EVER in Hogan? No.

Please don't give an example that doesn't exist - he wasn't in a position to draw. Until said time where he is given top billing at a pay-per-view, we can only make assumptions as to what kind of a draw he is.

So you're telling me that match wasnt used as top billing on the ppv? Give me a break, WWE was pushing out pre-taped calls over the phone from Hogan saying something to the effect of watch me kick Hussein's ass at Backlash, etc. That WAS the match that was being pushed as the top match at Backlash, dont make any mistakes about it.

There was very predictable and fortelling segments on Raw between Mania and Backlash as well with Hassan that should have drawn in theory, where he was baiting Hogan for the return, and then the Hogan return at MSG. Those all should have drawn significant ratings if Hussein was/is a draw, or should I say if he was worthwhile enough to draw some interest against Hogan, who was gone for so long that many in the company expected some firepower from a return. All I'm saying is he HAS had chances, and nothing amounted from them.

I see people say bring Mark Magnus back as the model etc but he's Hassan and if he comes out they know he's Hassan, they SEE he's Hassan and there is almost no way he would become a Face or have another character. He's fucked IMO, the only thing they can do is put him on RAW or put him in OVW and wait for UPN to drop the ban or the WWE moves SD! to another channel. You don't know if Hassan would draw, who would have thought Batista would draw and he did because Vengeance had a BETTER buyrate then ECW's spectacular PPV. They could put him on RAW, let them feud with Hurricane and Rosey which would make PERFECT sense, let them win the belts and they can even feud The Big Show and (instert name here) for the titles, it would make the titles seem important again. I'm one of those guys who likes Hassan, he entertains the hell out of me because I LOVE good promos, I love guys who can act. That's why I like Carlito, Hassan and JBL, they are all average in the ring but I like em because of their promos. I think it would SUCK ASS if Hassan gets taken off TV.

Some thoughts/perspective from Meltzer, reasoning why Hassan probably wont be on Raw either....let the bitching begin....

--Regarding the 1wrestling.com story about UPN wanting Muhammad Hassan permanently off Smackdown, we've been able to confirm that is the case. I would presume he would have to go back to Raw and complain about unfair persecution (as opposed to corporate unbelievably bad foresight/borderline outright stupidity, I guess). Who knows if Spike will or won't care. The other alternative is to do away with the character this weekend. At this point that's the smart move, because moving him to Spike would be dangerous if the New York Times and other New York media follows up, because it's just more bad pub and Spike would react the same way, and WWE would look even worse, and at this point any follow-up negative pub would cause advertiser issues which they can't afford at this time. I would presume the scheduled Batista vs. Hassan Smackdown title match plans for SummerSlam is not happening and they'll have to at least consider re-booking finishes for one, and perhaps two matches for Sunday.

I see people say bring Mark Magnus back as the model etc but he's Hassan and if he comes out they know he's Hassan, they SEE he's Hassan and there is almost no way he would become a Face or have another character. He's fucked IMO, the only thing they can do is put him on RAW or put him in OVW and wait for UPN to drop the ban or the WWE moves SD! to another channel. You don't know if Hassan would draw, who would have thought Batista would draw and he did because Vengeance had a BETTER buyrate then ECW's spectacular PPV. They could put him on RAW, let them feud with Hurricane and Rosey which would make PERFECT sense, let them win the belts and they can even feud The Big Show and (instert name here) for the titles, it would make the titles seem important again. I'm one of those guys who likes Hassan, he entertains the hell out of me because I LOVE good promos, I love guys who can act. That's why I like Carlito, Hassan and JBL, they are all average in the ring but I like em because of their promos. I think it would SUCK ASS if Hassan gets taken off TV.

That could turn out not to be the case. The PPV company is saying ECW drew more than 300K buys. And they'd know.

How? If you can honestly show me how that attack on the Undertaker was a mock beheading or using the deaths to push Hassan as a terrorist heel, I will stand there right alongside you in bashing WWE for doing something so tasteless and offensive. Just show me HOW.

It was very subtle, and they could have easily hit him with chairs or something else instead. It's all about the context. While it wasn't totally explicit and obvious to everyone, it did seem like they were trying to draw certain parallels for the sake of the angle. Hassan praying and Davari being carried out like a martyr only exemplified this. It's subtle, so they can easily claim that it wasn't what they meant. That said, I still don't find the angle more offensive than it is stupid. It was highly illogical for Hassans character and I really don't know how they could have gone about explaining it. I agree with everything else you've said regarding the issue though.

As much as I seem to be coming across offended by the angle, I never really was so I agree with you that it was more just stupid than offensive really. Was just a cheap attempt to elevate the character's level of interest by drawing obvious comparisons to arab terrorist activities/behavior.

The point I think alot of us are trying to make is that the company as a whole should have seen this was going to be a problem way before they even greenlit the angle. And now they are paying for it. While it may not be offensive to some of us that understand the ways of the pro wrestling world, I would imagine that the majority of WWE fans and to take that a step further, the majority of people in the country, at least had some offended thoughts of some sort by this or at least by hearing about it through media reports, etc.

If you can honestly show me how that attack on the Undertaker was a mock beheading or using the deaths to push Hassan as a terrorist heel, I will stand there right alongside you in bashing WWE for doing something so tasteless and offensive. Just show me HOW.

The use of the throat slashing gesture by Hassan.

The use of masked men wearing psuedo-military clothing, some of whom took praying positions.

The use of piano wire to signify strangulation.

The references to Davari as a "sacrifice", similar to how suicide bombers are portrayed as martyrs.

The further implication that Davari was a martyr by the way he was carried out.

That's the way I see it, and I'm certain that's the way the "creative" team intended it to be interpreted.

That could turn out not to be the case. The PPV company is saying ECW drew more than 300K buys. And they'd know.

My theory is that WWE will not accept publicly that the ECW ppv did any better number than their own. I think it's pretty clear the show did better than Vengeance when now reports are coming in from the ppv companies of estimates more in the mid to high 300,000s. And typically that means less than the final number. Its more an ego thing than anything as I'm sure internally some of the upper echelon of management (most of the McMahons, Laurintatus, etc) were not happy with the way Heyman and Co. mocked the company as a whole on the show and will still do a yearly deal for the sake of profit, but anything more is against their pride or something to acknowledge that ppv drew better, if that makes any sense.

Back to topic, sorry

I'm REALLY thinking the guy's comparing "draws" from now to back 98/99 with Austin and Rock. And of all the guys you mentioned that are the big current draws, I only see Cena as the most realistic, and possibly Lesnar, when he does come back. MAYBE Taker. I can't honestly hear in my head "OMG EDDIE GUERRERO'S ON THE CARD! GOTTA GO SEE IT THAT SHOW!", and I'm a fan of Eddie.

Back in 2003/2004, Eddy was the closest thing the WWE had to a "draw." House show numbers increased when he was on the card and he had some of the highest rated segments on Smackdown. This is really the main reason he got a shot at being the champion.

Guest Trecko

And from that it all seems to come back down to not liking him because of his ring work. Enjoying his character will come down to opinion, and I hate that bullshit "he gets cheap heat" excuse, but it seems like a lot of you are much more willing to see him take the fall for this situation just because he doesn't put on the type of matches you'd want to see. All those "maybe Daivari can get pushed now!" comments are noticed.

What should they do, then? NOT make characters off of real life? People see a guy debut like Mordecai or Boogeyman and laugh out how jokey it is. It's goofy, it can't be taken seriously. A character like the Undertaker or Kane when they debuted, being brought in in this day and age, would probably be laughed at. They go a realistic route, and now they're not being tasteful with their choices?

And wtf @ "pissing off and alienating large parts of your audience"? From a simple wrestling point, I would think that's a GOOD thing when you're a heel. Anything other than that, do you really want to sit here and defend ignorant ass people that are legitimately pissed off by his character and might really have those "deport that sand :throwup: nigger!" thoughts?

It was very subtle, and they could have easily hit him with chairs or something else instead. It's all about the context. While it wasn't totally explicit and obvious to everyone, it did seem like they were trying to draw certain parallels for the sake of the angle. Hassan praying and Davari being carried out like a martyr only exemplified this. It's subtle, so they can easily claim that it wasn't what they meant. That said, I still don't find the angle more offensive than it is stupid. It was highly illogical for Hassans character and I really don't know how they could have gone about explaining it. I agree with everything else you've said regarding the issue though.

It was subtle. And I can understand in everyway why someone would think off the bat "terrorist!". But I don't agree with that, not because I think WWE are saints and would never do something like that, but because I don't think it's as big a deal as it's been made to be, and when it results in banning, it makes it even worse. It's more me playing devil's advocate than anything else, but it's also me not liking what's being done to Hassan, as well...

Hassan could draw 1,000,000 PPV buys and I'd still be against how he's been used.

Money shouldn't be used as an excuse to do whatever you want.

My theory is that WWE will not accept publicly that the ECW ppv did any better number than their own. I think it's pretty clear the show did better than Vengeance when now reports are coming in from the ppv companies of estimates more in the mid to high 300,000s. And typically that means less than the final number. Its more an ego thing than anything as I'm sure internally some of the upper echelon of management (most of the McMahons, Laurintatus, etc) were not happy with the way Heyman and Co. mocked the company as a whole on the show and will still do a yearly deal for the sake of profit, but anything more is against their pride or something to acknowledge that ppv drew better, if that makes any sense.

Back to topic, sorry

At this point, unless it is a hard number coming DIRECTLY from the PPV company, you can't trust the number. Most of the IWC are probably pulling for the buyrate to be better than the recent WWE pay-per-view(s) - I've heard numbers ranging from 225,000 (okay) to 375,000 buys (great). The only accurate number I've heard (meaning in Meltzer's daily update) was in the 275,000 range, so hearsay seems to be out of the question.

EDIT: Corrected the number.

And wtf @ "pissing off and alienating large parts of your audience"? From a simple wrestling point, I would think that's a GOOD thing when you're a heel. Anything other than that, do you really want to sit here and defend ignorant ass people that are legitimately pissed off by his character and might really have those "deport that sand  :throwup: nigger!" thoughts?

No way is that a good thing. Sure you can piss off the fans somewhat by actions but alienating them? No fucking way. The point of a heel is to get people interested in the heel character, yet legitimately hating them enough to actually want to see them get their ass kicked. Case in point mid 80s WWF Roddy Piper played that to a tee. He was an obnoxious whiny heel who was quirkly, yet a piece of shit at the same time. I never really wanted to see Hassan get his ass handed to him ever. Fuck, even goddamn Kid Kash, Jeff Jarrett, and HHH can do that for me.

This is the problem with Hassan to me. The character is too forced for me to actually be entertained by it as everytime he talks, he gives me the impression he's just BEGGING for heat. It's all too fake and false for me to buy into. It's a fucking Arab gimmick for a goddamn Italian guy - nuff said.

Guest Trecko
If you can honestly show me how that attack on the Undertaker was a mock beheading or using the deaths to push Hassan as a terrorist heel, I will stand there right alongside you in bashing WWE for doing something so tasteless and offensive. Just show me HOW.

The use of the throat slashing gesture by Hassan.

The use of masked men wearing psuedo-military clothing, some of whom took praying positions.

The use of piano wire to signify strangulation.

The references to Davari as a "sacrifice", similar to how suicide bombers are portrayed as martyrs.

The further implication that Davari was a martyr by the way he was carried out.

That's the way I see it, and I'm certain that's the way the "creative" team intended it to be interpreted.

I continue to read about a "throat slashing gesture", and while I'm only going off seeing it the first time, I was VERY into it, literally edge of my bed watching in awe, and not ONCE did I see Hassan do a throat slash. If there was ANY gesture, it was for the camel clutch. I don't remember ever seeing a throat slash.

Daivari being a "martyr" and a "sacrifice" to the Undertaker does not = being a terrorist. If you're comparing it to them using DEATH, then you might've been one of those people pissed at Kevin Garnett last year for talking about being ready for "war", and bring all types of guns to the basketball court. And if you don't watch basketball, you must've DEFINITELY been here in '98/'99 complaining that the WWF was being inconsiderate with the use of "sacrifices" that this same UNDERTAKER was tyin people up to his symbol as a SACRIFICE.

There's no proof that it was piano wire, or intended to be used as piano wire. I think Tazz threw that name out there, amongst others. Even if it was, the "camel clutch" is enough of a showing that they really WERE trying to strangle him. It's happened before. No connection with terrorism.

The praying I still put up there with the religious theme with the sacrifice.

The uniforms are probably the only suspect thing about it that I can agree with you on. The rest are up for interpretation, and the throat slash, I'm still not sure if that ever even happened. Still shouldn't be banned from SD and have his career possibly ruined. :-"

From WWE.Com

Due to the unfortunate terrorist attacks in London on Thursday, July 7, which coincided with our pre-produced WWE SmackDown! program, UPN has asked us to be sensitive to the usage of the Arab-American character, Muhammad Hassan. We have agreed with UPN, and have not had the character on SmackDown! since that date. It is uncertain as to whether or not the WWE will continue with this character beyond this Sunday’s Pay-Per-View, The Great American Bash.

If any of those SINGLE things were used, you might have a case.

Since they were all used at once, you don't.

The idea that those people were mimicking real life terrorists was definitely there. You're just choosing not to see it.

Guest Trecko
And wtf @ "pissing off and alienating large parts of your audience"? From a simple wrestling point, I would think that's a GOOD thing when you're a heel. Anything other than that, do you really want to sit here and defend ignorant ass people that are legitimately pissed off by his character and might really have those "deport that sand  :throwup: nigger!" thoughts?

No way is that a good thing. Sure you can piss off the fans somewhat by actions but alienating them? No fucking way. The point of a heel is to get people interested in the heel character, yet legitimately hating them enough to actually want to see them get their ass kicked. Case in point mid 80s WWF Roddy Piper played that to a tee. He was an obnoxious whiny heel who was quirkly, yet a piece of shit at the same time. I never really wanted to see Hassan get his ass handed to him ever. Fuck, even goddamn Kid Kash, Jeff Jarrett, and HHH can do that for me.

This is the problem with Hassan to me. The character is too forced for me to actually be entertained by it as everytime he talks, he gives me the impression he's just BEGGING for heat. It's all too fake and false for me to buy into. It's a fucking Arab gimmick for a goddamn Italian guy - nuff said.

lol @ the italian thing.

That, if anything, will be a problem for Hassan. Not him seeming forced, he doesn't come off forced to me, but the crowd HONESTLY hating him. I enjoy the character, I think he plays it perfectly, but the live crowd seems to really have that "GO BACK TO IRAQ" attitude with him, and won't be willing to take the character in and have him potentially turn face like they do with other heels. And I dunno about people not wanting to see him get fucked up. I'm thinking most of the crowd, once they see him, have that "kill the foreigner" mentality.

Guest Trecko

The idea that those people were mimicking real life terrorists was definitely there.  You're just choosing not to see it.

I think I've flat out said "I know why people would think terrorism" enough times in this thread, so it's not like I'm completely oblivious to the idea or shutting it down. I just don't think it was enough for it to get this point, to warrant this result, and that in the end, Hassan is the one fucked over in the most.

Someone above posted a joking post saying that they wanted cheesy foreign heel gimmicks like the evil Iranian, or evil Russian, evil Nazi, Jap, etc. These were goofy gimmicks but they always worked and got the redneck crowds in a furor to see them get their asses kicked.

Hassan constantly blathering about being an American only to me puts the spotlight on him NOT being Arab! I mean seriously, when I saw Hassan I just thought "This guy isn't an Arab at all." Though oddly enough I didn't realize for a while that he was Mark Magnus, whom I had seen maybe once on OVW in person (he was forgettable).

Wrestling is above all else escapist fare. Lots of people don't feel comfortable with a so called Arab American ranting about how he is mistreated. Most people don't want to hear it, and those that don't mind feel uncomfortable. Hell, I'd rather have The Shockmaster come back rather than listen to Hassan's phony Arab bullshit...at least that would be amusing.

The idea that those people were mimicking real life terrorists was definitely there.  You're just choosing not to see it.

I think I've flat out said "I know why people would think terrorism" enough times in this thread, so it's not like I'm completely oblivious to the idea or shutting it down. I just don't think it was enough for it to get this point, to warrant this result, and that in the end, Hassan is the one fucked over in the most.

Well...I'll at least agree with you that Hassan's getting fucked over.

WWE Statement Concerning Muhammad Hassan

Due to the unfortunate terrorist attacks in London on Thursday, July 7, which coincided with our pre-produced WWE SmackDown! program, UPN has asked us to be sensitive to the usage of the Arab-American character, Muhammad Hassan. We have agreed with UPN, and have not had the character on SmackDown! since that date. It is uncertain as to whether or not the WWE will continue with this character beyond this Sunday’s Pay-Per-View, The Great American Bash

From WWE.com

I wonder if WWE.com released that statement as sort of a selling point for the ppv?

"Come see the end of Hassan"

It appeals to both marks and smart fans.