TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gary Floyd

Campaign 2008

Guest Desensitized

How was it obviously sarcastic? I don't think it was obviously sarcastic. How did he mean the opposite of what he wrote? He said Rove was disappointed that there wouldn't be a thousand-year reich, then elaborated later that Rove did expect Republican dominance for many years. So he meant what he said, he just chose to say it by once again comparing Republicans to Nazis, which is tiresome and stupid. But I guess I'm an idiot.

Jesus Christ, you're an idiot sometimes, man. It was obviously sarcastic. Where does it say you can't be sarcastic, or hyperbolic in a mocking manner, about the Nazis? I take umbrage with your cock-measuring form of moderation. Participate in arguments, or be a moderator, but when you do both... well... you know who else did both...?

Hitler?

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/05/18/cam...wrap/index.html

Hillary's back to using her "I won the popular vote" argument.

She's right, she did....so long as you count the state Obama wasn't on the ballot for, and DON'T count the caucus states Obama won.

She expects the superdelegates to fall for this bullshit math because...?

Jesus Christ, you're an idiot sometimes, man. It was obviously sarcastic. Where does it say you can't be sarcastic, or hyperbolic in a mocking manner, about the Nazis? I take umbrage with your cock-measuring form of moderation. Participate in arguments, or be a moderator, but when you do both... well... you know who else did both...?

Hitler?

Mole.

Obama drew 72,000 people to Portland's waterfront park today. With the Oregon primary on Tuesday, I think he's got it.

How was it obviously sarcastic? I don't think it was obviously sarcastic. How did he mean the opposite of what he wrote? He said Rove was disappointed that there wouldn't be a thousand-year reich, then elaborated later that Rove did expect Republican dominance for many years. So he meant what he said, he just chose to say it by once again comparing Republicans to Nazis, which is tiresome and stupid. But I guess I'm an idiot.

I'm sorry, I don't really think you're an idiot. I guess sarcasm isn't the right word, it was sort of mocking hyperbole.

Guest Vitamin X

Yeah I was among those 72,000 people today. There was even a free Decemberists concert right before! At least it was good to know I didn't have to pay for that, since they're really nothing special live.

I was just a few feet away from the senator, so it was pretty cool. I really had no idea until today how geeky the guy looks in person. Thin, lanky, and these big ol' ears.

I was just a few feet away from the senator, so it was pretty cool. I really had no idea until today how geeky the guy looks in person. Thin, lanky, and these big ol' ears.

Kind of like this? :)

lincoln_1860_2.jpg

Guest Vitamin X

Yeah, something like that. But darker!

Here's some pictures of the crowd:

PH2008051801901.jpg

obama-oregon533.2.jpg

obama-orego3.jpg

I like the guy who's second from the right. Anyways, this is from my cell phone embedded within the crowd. It's kind of a crappy shot, and a weird view since I was facing uphill-

2.jpg

The Repubs are still banking on the youth become disillusioned again.

You know, show up for the primaries but skip the general ;)

I'm now becoming convinced that adding Mrs. Clinton to the ticket is a good idea. She and her supporters are probably just sore enough losers that they'll try and throw the election to McCain if they don't add her.And, at least on paper, having a VP nominee with her experience and name recognition will end up helping more than it hurts. I'm not 100% sold on the idea, but I can definitely see the benefits.

I don't see an Obama-Clinton ticket happening because Obama's wife doesn't like Clinton and reports are that people running Obama's campaign aren't too big on adding her to ticket either.

I think it'd be a bad idea to put Clinton on the ticket. First, I think she'd almost overshadow the ticket and too many Americans would be seeing this as a "co-presidency" rather than Obama's presidency. Second, some of the Republicans and independents who might defect to Obama would probably be disillusioned by having Hillary a heartbeat away from the presidency. Third, Hillary's message and Obama's message are in conflict with each other. Obama needs to choose someone who reflects his message of change and for the future rather than picking a figure of politics past like Clinton. Finally, and this is a weak argument but you never know what'll happen in the general, the Democrats might be pushing the envelope too far by asking voters to vote for a black/female ticket.

I just think that the benefits Clinton brings to the ticket are overrated. If her supporters want to be sore losers and sabatoge the party this election cycle then let them because it will ruin Clinton's chances in 2012. Also, what real experience does Clinton have that Obama does not? She's accomplished very little in the Senate and never been a governor. I've never gotten the "experience" argument for Clinton anyway because WHAT elected positions did she hold until 2001?

That said, I think Obama needs to go with a Clinton supporter, but not Clinton, for the VP slot. Someone like Ed Rendell (PA Governor) or someone of that nature would probably help him out without having to worry about the distractions of having Hillary on the ticket.

bill richardson maybe?

and hillary will not try to throw the election out of spite if she doesn't make the ticket. she's driven but she's not stupid, and a move like that would effectively ruin her political career.

I now think the best VP pick for Obama is Gov. Ted Strickland of Ohio, who was a big Clinton backer.

That's not a bad pick, but I can't help but think Obama would pick up more Clinton supporters with a woman than with a Clinton backer. Gov. Sebelius of KS is probably the best choice of the female governors, though that doesn't help with regional balance. Granholm would be a slam-dunk if she weren't born in Canada. Senator Landrieu of Louisiana would be my top pick from the Senate, and would provide regional and ideological balance. Of course, if he's going to pick a female Senator, he might as well just go with Clinton.

Anyways, here's my top 5 (in no particular order):

Wesley Clark

Hillary Clinton

Mary Landrieu

Bill Richardson

Kathleen Sebelius

I like all of those except Landrieu & Clinton. I just think Hillary brings more negatives than positives to the ticket and undercuts his message of change & judgment on Iraq.

I like Wes Clark, but he was pretty terrible at campaigning in '04. He's probably gotten better since then because he's been all over the place for the past 4 years...but I don't know if he would bring Arkansas (his home state).

Granholm is actually unpopular because of Michigan's struggling economy, I think, but it's moot anyway.

General Clark wouldn't need to bring in Arkansas if he could bring in a bigger chunk of the military vote, or help put to rest concerns regarding Obama's inexperience with military issues. Clark also gives instant credibility to any promises Obama makes concerning military deployments.

To me, adding Clinton to the ticket would be a huge step BACK for Obama. She has ripped him apart the whole campaign, held on when it was obvious she had no chance and just overall been a nightmare. For a guy preaching "Hope and change", adding Hilary to the ticket would just look like he was another fold up the tent business as usual politician that he has been preaching he's not.

Obama Leads Hillary By So Freakin' Much

gallup0519.jpg

Here's your favorite Gallup daily tracking poll, which now shows Obama's largest lead ever of 16 percentage points. Jesus, did a huge wave of black voters (his only constituency) register to vote in the last day or something?

http://wonkette.com/391764/obama-leads-hil...so-freakin-much

Alternate theory...hard working white people are too busy working hard to talk to pollsters.

Another endorsement, from someone whose opinion should actually matter...

Buffett supporting Obama

(CNN) — Warren Buffett, a longtime friend of both Hillary and Bill Clinton, told CNN Monday Barack Obama would be his choice for the next President of the United States.

Speaking with CNN's Becky Anderson, the billionaire investor said he would gladly vote for either candidate, but said it is clear the senator from Illinois will be the party's nominee.

"So it would be Barack Obama, — [he] would be my preference," Buffett said.

Buffett had refused to take sides in the prolonged Democratic presidential race. The Nebraska Democrat hosted million dollar fundraisers for both last summer, and had previously held back on endorsing one over the other. Though he reportedly said at the Clinton fundraiser that the New York senator is "the person to run the country."

Buffett also has offered Clinton informal advice on the economy, and the two led a question-and-answer session about the economy with voters at a San Francisco campaign event in December.

Buffett, the world's richest man according to Forbes Magazine, runs Omaha-based Berkshire Hathaway Inc. The company's assets total more than $260 billion.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/...pporting-obama/

In other news...

Gender Issue Lives On as Clinton’s Hopes Dim

Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton is now in what most agree are the waning days of her bid for the Democratic presidential nomination. To use her own phrase, she has been running “to break the highest and hardest glass ceiling” in American life, and now the presidency — even a nomination that once seemed to be hers to claim — seems out of reach

Along with the usual post-mortems about strategy, message and money, Mrs. Clinton’s all-but-certain defeat brings with it a reckoning about what her run represents for women: a historic if incomplete triumph or a depressing reminder of why few pursue high office in the first place.

The answers have immediate political implications. If many of Mrs. Clinton’s legions of female supporters believe she was undone even in part by gender discrimination, how eagerly will they embrace Senator Barack Obama, the man who beat her?

“Women felt this was their time, and this has been stolen from them,” said Marilu Sochor, 48, a real estate agent in Columbus, Ohio, and a Clinton supporter. “Sexism has played a really big role in the race.”

Not everyone agrees. “When people look at the arc of the campaign, it will be seen that being a woman, in the end, was not a detriment and if anything it was a help to her,” the presidential historian Doris Kearns Goodwin said in an interview. Mrs. Clinton’s campaign is faltering, she added, because of “strategic, tactical things that have nothing to do with her being a woman.”

As a former first lady whose political career evolved from her husband’s, Mrs. Clinton was always an imperfect test case for female achievement — “somebody’s wife,” as Elaine Kamarck, a professor of government at Harvard and a Clinton supporter, described her.

Still, many credit Mrs. Clinton with laying down a new marker for what a woman can accomplish in a campaign — raising over $170 million, frequently winning more favorable reviews on debate performances than her male rivals, rallying older women, and persuading white male voters who were never expected to support her....

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/19/us/polit...amp;oref=slogin

Guest Vitamin X

The girl in the sunglasses all the way to the left doesn't look too bad. That uber-nerd that's second from the right though, that dude is just comedy.

Still doesn't sound like Hillary is willing to give up after these next couple of primaries. Not a shocker, but getting even more pathetic by the day.

Guest Vitamin X

I thought there were rumblings this past weekend that she might concede by midweek? Hopefully, she'll see the light. I do like that the media and Obama are more focused on a race versus McCain at the moment than they are on Hillary, whose campaign is just a punchline now.

That's not a fair thing to say considering she gotten more votes than any other Democrat ever!*

*Not really.

Sign in to follow this