TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
GreatWhiteNope

Chappelle's Show = finished

I saw Mind of Mencia last night, and wasn't that impressed.

I wish they'd push the real skit based shows more, like Reno 911.

Reno 911 is almost unrecognizable these days, though. =/

Mencia's material is:

40% I am from Honduras not that country

40% alalalalalaalalalalalala ahmed

10% white people are stupid

10% current events not involving arabs or beaners

Perhaps his stand up material, but his show was a bit different from what I saw.

I can't decide whether I think Stella is "mildly funny" or "off the scale stupid."

BTW the full article (which I'll try and transcribe/find in full online and post in this thread later this evening) says this about the material for season three that has already been film:

Basically five episodes worth of material has been filmed BUT the intro segments with Chappelle and the audience haven't been filmed yet

As for skits:

The Magic Fairy Sketch- Magic fairys/pixies from every race who embodie all of the worse stereotypes of each race try and get people of their respective races to act like racist stereotypes.

A Tupac sketch mocking the post death album releases by having one post-death song mentions specific people at a club Chappelle is at

A Pro-Howard Dean sketch involving his imfamous scream and how the media treated him unfairly because of it

Except race jokes are only about 30% of Rock's material, and most of the time even that material that's critical of black people.  In "Never Scared" he spent almost the entire show bitching about being married.

YOU STUPID BASTARD WHY DON'T YOU MAKE ANY MONEY! WHY DO I HAVE TO DO ALL THE WORK WHY WONT YOU GIVE ME ANY HELP? YOU MUTHAFUKAAAA! I HATE THIS SHIT!

Mencia is one of the worst shows on TV to appear in some time. I just hope Adam Corolla's show is better and that Stella doesn't get canned as quickly as Distraction did.

Except race jokes are only about 30% of Rock's material, and most of the time even that material that's critical of black people.  In "Never Scared" he spent almost the entire show bitching about being married.

YOU STUPID BASTARD WHY DON'T YOU MAKE ANY MONEY! WHY DO I HAVE TO DO ALL THE WORK WHY WONT YOU GIVE ME ANY HELP? YOU MUTHAFUKAAAA! I HATE THIS SHIT!

Mencia is one of the worst shows on TV to appear in some time. I just hope Adam Corolla's show is better and that Stella doesn't get canned as quickly as Distraction did.

Corolla will probably get a full year minimum since he's one of the network's pet comedians; as for Stella, I wouldn't be suprised if the show undergoes massive retooling into a more standardized sketch comedy show as a condition for it coming back for another season.

I don't get the logic behind "The show would have sucked, so I'm glad it's gone." The first two were good, what indication do you have that the next two wouldn't have been? Besides, some funny is better than no funny, and even if it was horrible, it shouldn't take away from the goodness of the first two seasons.

not saying it would've sucked. but its tough to follow up the greatness of those two seasons. sometimes following seasons become contived caricatures of the past. that would be too bad. shows should follow the path of THE OFFICE by ending while on top. i don't shed a tear about this whatsoever. chappelle's consciousness about becoming the thing he is mocking is very true. it happens. not everyone can detect the sarcasm or whichever in regards to his racial shit, and unfortunately, it sorta perverts his humor in an unflattering way. still, i think its peachy.

I can't decide whether I think Stella is "mildly funny" or "off the scale stupid."

It's mildly funny, but a huge disapointment to me considering all the hype it brought along, and the fact that I enjoyed Wet Hot American Summer which was written by the same team

how about DLs new show? I saw some of it this weekend. the best part was when he went around LA looking for a balck woman who had Conaleeza Rice's hairstyle and actually got a white woman to get the haircut. it was sorta amusing

MOM is kinda lame. I liked the first epidoe, but the rest have been dumb. His standup is the best part and even that isnt so great. But some of it made me laugh.

Like his cracks about fast food workers "How do you burn the fries? The thing beeps when its done."

Actually I read an article about how MOM was supposed to air on weds right after chappelle, so the network thought the chappele lead-in might bring good rating for MOM. Now its on its own.

But if CS is over, then I guess we should all grieve. SNL wished they could be that funny or interesting these days.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050913/ap_en_...eople_chappelle

Dave Chappelle Happy to Be Working Clubs

Mon Sep 12, 9:56 PM ET

CINCINNATI - Comedian Dave Chappelle, who walked away from his hit TV series earlier this year, said working in front of smaller audiences is more his speed.

Chappelle sold out 10 shows at a northern Kentucky club and said doing standup is "like I'm hanging out with a bunch of people."

Chappelle stunned fans and the entertainment industry when he abruptly left during production of the third season of his Comedy Central series, "Chappelle's Show." He spent two weeks in South Africa before returning home to his 65-acre farm near Yellow Springs, Ohio, about 75 miles northeast of Cincinnati, and then returned to standup comedy.

He played the Funny Bone Comedy Club at Newport on the Levee last week, a 325-seat club.

"I like that particular kind of attention. People don't know what it's like standing up there on stage, when you have a wall of people smiling at you," Chappelle told The Cincinnati Enquirer for a story published Monday.

"Most people don't know what it's like to stand up there and speak their mind. I have a venue to do that. I get paid to do that. It's not like I'm doing heavy lifting up there. It's not like I'm solving the world's problems. It's like I'm hanging out with a bunch of people and it's cool," he said.

Chappelle has said he was unhappy with the direction of his show. His decision triggered reports that he had mental or drug problems, which he denied.

"It was a little weird," he told the newspaper. "It felt like some of the stuff was real tabloid, like raw speculation.

"It was like stuff I would normally buy and believe," he added, laughing. "I just took it as a learning experience. It was like becoming a public person and learning all the responsibility that comes with that."

Chappelle said he wasn't sure what's ahead for him: "Wow. Damn, that's a good question. ... Is 'I don't know' an acceptable answer?"

Well at least he's happy doing what he loves to do.