TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dangerous A

What works better for you? Cena and Batista

Cena and Batista are on top now on both brands. Unless a major injury were to happen, they are going to probrably stay in top spots for at least another year or so. Both men are champs and being given the chance to run with the ball. Time will tell which reigns were good in terms of creative and drawing money.

That said, which do you think works better for each man?

Both men defending? (where they currently are now)

Cena chasing the title ?

Batista chasing the title ?

Both men chasing?

Take into account the men's characters and where they are now. For instance, I think Batista is better off defending because he's a monster, tough, hoss type who should be fending people off the top of the mountain. Cena, for me anyways, works better as the underdog type that is out to prove himself to everyone (whiteboy rapper, anyone?) that he is the man. I will say that right now would not be a good time to take the belt off Cena because he's hot right now and they should let him run with the ball some more before possibly taking the belt off him. However, on the road to WM, I think Cena could stand to lose it and try to get it back at Mania, whereas Batista needs the ball as long as possible.

Discuss.

Guest FromBeyondTheGrave

Cena should be chasing the title and Batista should be defending off all comers until he loses to Lesnar.

I think both men should come out of WM XXII as champions, but that Cena should go in as a challenger. I can see him dropping the WWE belt at NYR if it's a Raw PPV next year, and then winning the Rumble to get a return title match at WM XXII, which he will win. After WM XXII, I think Batista will drop the World title in screwjob fashion, possibly to a heel that heads a faction of some kind, and he'll go through all of them en route to regaining the World title at Summerslam.

Cena chasing and Batista jobbing.

I think Cena falls in the same group as Sting and other guys like that, where it's just more interesting if he's in the title hunt. I really liked Cena as he was trying to get the title, even though I didn't want him to win.

As for Batista, I think his career will really get started once he is a champion as a heel. I hate his face character right now, I just can't stand it. Ever since he turned face, my love for the guy has all but totally disappeared. I just don't see a reason to cheer for the guy as a face.

Guest Fook

I see Cena losing in screwjob fashion due to Bischoff around Survivor Series (probably to HHH), then winning the Rumble (as that's the only way he would get a title shot) and regaining the belt at WM.

I see Batista having a long reign, lasting pretty much until he faces Brock.

I hate watching Cena and Bischoff try and do Austin/McMahaon. I understand that it works for the Cena character...but I'm just going to be annoyed when an Eric run in costs the title

Batista is a fun champ, and I enjoy watching him squash people. His ring skills may not be top-notch, but the guy just looks like a star, and his entrance never fails to bring a smile to my face. Well, maybe not an actual physical smile, but I like the guy.

Cena just sucks and shouldn't even be at indy level right now.

Cena just sucks and shouldn't even be at indy level right now.

I love that comment :headbang:

Following the crowd, Cena chasing, Batista defending.

I like the way everybody has taken for granted that Cena will be challanging for the title again at WM by winning the Rumble.

As much as I hate to admit it, if anybody is going to lose the belt, it will be Batista first IMHO.

I can see both of them keeping the belts till WM, with 1 of them losing it.

Guest Trecko

Cena chasing, Batista following the D-Von Dudley around with a collection plate.

As for Batista, I think his career will really get started once he is a champion as a heel. I hate his face character right now, I just can't stand it. Ever since he turned face, my love for the guy has all but totally disappeared. I just don't see a reason to cheer for the guy as a face.

I wouldn't say hate but I pretty much feel the same way. I would still be into Batista if he wrestled on TV a whole lot more. He hasn't really done much since going to Smackdown.

Cena I could care less about either way.

I would love to see Kurt Angle as the WWE Champion again but I don't know with who he can feud then. So I'm thinking Shawn Michaels should beat Hogan and beat Cena for the WWE Title because HBK can have a last run and he's great as a Heel. Then HBK can feud with Big Show what will probably be a nice match, maybe even feud with Shelton Benjamin a bit and then drops it back to Cena.

OR they can surprise us and have Brock Lesnar show up on RAW, become the WWE Champion and do a champion vs. champion match at WrestleMania, batista vs. lesnar and you'll have a big money draw right there and the shows reunite after that with Batista as WWE Champion. Batista then turns Heel :D

Batista as a face works very well for me. He's got a great look and is comfortable (not to mention amusing) on the mic, so he's easy to connect to. The other important point is that he can beat the SHIT out of heels. For once, the WWE has succeeded in creating a monster face who can be relaxed and calm most of the time, but not go down the 'goofy happy face-Big Show' route. Batista comes across as a nice guy... but you don't want to piss him off. He works well as a monster face crushing heel challengers.

I have to say, if they ever find someone with the charisma of Batista and the ring skills of Lesnar they're gonna spawn a superstar.

As for Cena, I prefer him chasing because that way there's a chance he won't get the damn thing, and should he get injured they'd just take him off the show rather than keep him on in a protected role like they normally do with a hurt champion.

If Angle won the title he could face Cena in a rematch, Michaels in a rubber match, or in a fresher matchup a returning RVD.

Anyway, I think Batista is better off defending the title while Cena is better off chasing it. It was odd that Cena never really had a big chase for the title...he just won a #1 contender tourney, dropped the US title, then won the WWE title.

I would love to see Kurt Angle as the WWE Champion again but I don't know with who he can feud then. So I'm thinking Shawn Michaels should beat Hogan and beat Cena for the WWE Title because HBK can have a last run and he's great as a Heel. Then HBK can feud with Big Show what will probably be a nice match, maybe even feud with Shelton Benjamin a bit and then drops it back to Cena.

OR they can surprise us and have Brock Lesnar show up on RAW, become the WWE Champion and do a champion vs. champion match at WrestleMania, batista vs. lesnar and you'll have a big money draw right there and the shows reunite after that with Batista as WWE Champion. Batista then turns Heel :D

You could put in Angle there to, to strech out HBKs reign.

The champion vs champion would be an utter waste! You lose the 2nd match and the title cant change hands, which detracts from its interest. I dont think the shows will reunite any time soon.

Batista as a face works very well for me. He's got a great look and is comfortable (not to mention amusing) on the mic, so he's easy to connect to. The other important point is that he can beat the SHIT out of heels. For once, the WWE has succeeded in creating a monster face who can be relaxed and calm most of the time, but not go down the 'goofy happy face-Big Show' route. Batista comes across as a nice guy... but you don't want to piss him off. He works well as a monster face crushing heel challengers.

I have to say, if they ever find someone with the charisma of Batista and the ring skills of Lesnar they're gonna spawn a superstar.

As for Cena, I prefer him chasing because that way there's a chance he won't get the damn thing, and should he get injured they'd just take him off the show rather than keep him on in a protected role like they normally do with a hurt champion.

Thank god for that.

Burchill maybe?

A hurt champion should normally be stripped. How long has it been since the Woman's title has been defended huh? Isnt there like a 30 day defend clause?

If Angle won the title he could face Cena in a rematch, Michaels in a rubber match, or in a fresher matchup a returning RVD.

Anyway, I think Batista is better off defending the title while Cena is better off chasing it.  It was odd that Cena never really had a big chase for the title...he just won a #1 contender tourney, dropped the US title, then won the WWE title.

Did we ever get RVD-Shelton proper? RVD should get an enormous push when he comes back, given the people were queing up for him to face.

Thats what blew about WM, there was no build-up to it. :angry:

I think face champs usually make their money on the first title chase and then the first 3-4 months of their run in the modern era. It's a lot different than the old territory days.

Batista's a guy who has to be booked strong since he's nothing if he isn't a monster. With Cena you have a little more flexibility since he can get over by talking.

Cena chasing, Batista defending. But then again, we haven't had a long face title reign since well Chris Benoit so I hope we can get one of them to have a JBL-like reign. A nice good long one though.