TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mole

I want to get a Hybrid..

I'm going to be investing in a new car soon since my Focus sucks balls.

It doesn't have to be a Hybrid, but a car with really good MPG. What cars should I start looking at?

I can't help about gas milage, but I just saw that Saturn is releasing a roadster similar to the Pontiac Solstice that I fell in love with and posted a thread about. My Tivo downloaded an ad for it, they are calling it the Saturn Sky..

I figure it probably will be priced about the same, so now I have two cars to look forward to.

As far as Hybrids go, the Honda hybrids are cheaper but they don't look as nice as one's from Toyota, but they get about the same gas milage.

These aren't hybrids..so take it for what you will.

I say take a look at the Scion xB(or xA if you want the less ice cream truck like design.) If your looking for something cheap, the Scion xA starts out at $13,425 and the Scion xB at $14,395. Cons? They look like the children of a toaster and a ice cream truck, have low hp (both at right around the 100 mark.).but I think the price and mpg more than makes up for the design and the lack of hp. I'd much perfer the xB over the xA..if only for the increase in storage space it provides.

Credit: fueleconomy.gov

2005 Scion xB

31/34 mpg and a combined mpg of 32.

2005 Scion xA

31/38 with a combined mpg of 34

Hybrids aren't worth the money at this point. They cost too much more than a comparable non-hybrid; even with gas so expensive, you still won't make back the extra cash you pay for the technology, even if you keep the car for 5 years. They also tend to have a hell of a time accelerating with the super-weak engine.

If you really care about fuel economy, just get some sort of compact or coupe. The latest Honda Civics pull something like 38/32 and a regular Civic will cost you about $8,000 less than its hybrid equivalent, I believe. Also, those two Scions look dumb as all hell, but the tC (which is essentially Toyota's replacement for the Celica) is actually a pretty good car all-around for basic purposes.

I started a thread about this in April, but it never really got answered :

Does owning a hybrid make a guy more or less likely to get laid, or about the same?

It's a bit of a catch 22, I mean, hybrids aren't exactly pussy magent cars, which hurts.

Conversely, the money saved can't hurt to attract women.

Thoughts?

...But you don't save money. That's what nobody seems to get about these things yet. The only people who are saving money are the guys who've built charging kits for their garages and have tweaked their cars to get 200 miles per gallon. And even that is a ton more upfront cost.

Now that gas is tetering on going to $4 a gallon, I think that "hybrids won't save most people any money" is going to be wrong.

Of course, demand for Hybrids will be greater now, so the car companies can jack the prices up and that will probably offset the difference in the increased price of gas.