TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
UZI Suicide

HBK is a little unhappy

Is that a mortal sin or something, not following wrestling from other places?

As a wrestling fan, yes it is...

Not in a snarky way but I believe wrestling fans should watch more than just one company's body of work. It helps add to the enjoyment or anguish rather, in WWE's case when someone is doing something right. And I think people who watch WWE exclusively realistically only have 25% of an idea how pro wrestling is to be operated. WWE style? Nameless cruisers? No thanks.

Guest Biggles

And because you watch more than one promotion you know EXACTLY how pro wrestling is suppose to be operated?

Not in a snarky way but I believe wrestling fans should watch more than just one company's body of work. It helps add to the enjoyment or anguish rather, in WWE's case when someone is doing something right. And I think people who watch WWE exclusively realistically only have 25% of an idea how pro wrestling is to be operated. WWE style? Nameless cruisers? No thanks.

I'll give to you that it could give a better understanding of the actual ring-work to have knowledge of other wrestling promotions and styles. But you have to understand that different promotions cater to different audiences/markets. Personally, I don't follow Puro that much, except for the ocassional tape. Ditto for TNA and ROH, although I've followed those more closely this couple of years, certainly more that Japan stuff. Still, just being a WWE-only fan doesn't make anybody less than other.

I consider myself a wrestling fan, but I mainly follow WWE stuff. Why? Preference, plain and simple. Like I said before, I catch the occasional non-WWE american stuff, and I enjoy it quite a lot, but I still find myself more attracted to the WWE product.

A mortal sin? Yeah, God forbid I don't know Hijo del Santo's measurements or Rikidozan's Title accomplishments. Like it or not, WWE is the main wrestling source for most fans. No need to put them down if they haven't heard of Kenta Kobashi or Blue Demon.

I don't care if people don't watch wrestling outside WWE. I think they're missing out, but hey, it's not my problem. However, being that this is in relation to the HBK argument (and it runs rampant in other discussions), I have issues when these people begin to make statements like "No one has been better..." or "... is the best" when, with so much else going on and so little scope in these people's minds, they're not qualified in the least to say such things.

But they obviously are discussing "in the WWE". They are discussing "No one has been better..." or "... is the best", in the WWE should be obviously added to the end.

I can understand not knowing all about the indies and foreign promotions, but if you are missing out on things like WCW or the AWA which were viable national promotions with easy access and a tape library owned by WWE, then that is a problem when we get into these discussions, largely because it involves many of the same workers. If you are basing say Ricky Steamboat's career entirely on what he did in the WWF, then you aren't really qualified to discuss the subject properly. It would be like discussing the history of Carthage when the only thing you know about them is their role in the Punic Wars.

I'll give to you that it could give a better understanding of the actual ring-work to have knowledge of other wrestling promotions and styles. But you have to understand that different promotions cater to different audiences/markets. Personally, I don't follow Puro that much, except for the ocassional tape. Ditto for TNA and ROH, although I've followed those more closely this couple of years, certainly more that Japan stuff. Still, just being a WWE-only fan doesn't make anybody less than other.

I consider myself a wrestling fan, but I mainly follow WWE stuff. Why? Preference, plain and simple. Like I said before, I catch the occasional non-WWE american stuff, and I enjoy it quite a lot, but I still find myself more attracted to the WWE product.

A mortal sin? Yeah, God forbid I don't know Hijo del Santo's measurements or Rikidozan's Title accomplishments. Like it or not, WWE is the main wrestling source for most fans. No need to put them down if they haven't heard of Kenta Kobashi or Blue Demon.

'Course there's no need. Then again, for fans like that, there's no need to attempt a deep discussion about pro wrestling so why bother?

Availability is a big issue here. In the 1990s at various points I watched the WWF, WCW, USWA, and even Global on ESPN. Then ECW debuted in my area and I watched that too. Now I'll watch OVW sometimes as well.

Have I ever watched much Japanese stuff? Not really, aside from those death match things that were sickening). The reason is that it's simply not on TV in this country and I've never worried about it enough to get heavily into tape trading (and it's always hard trading with these guys since they have what I already have. There might be some Mexican wrestling on TV, but if so it's on a station that's entirely Spanish that I rarely watch or a channel I don't get.

Basically, if you put the shows on TV I'll watch em. If ROH got a TV deal, I'd watch them in a heartbeat. I'll probably watch NWA: TNA when it debuts, though it'll be on at the same time as OVW so something will have to be taped there.

Guest *KNK*

The issue of availibility is hardly a legitimate excuse anymore. Ten years ago? Most certaintly but with the wide variety of sources to access puro across the internet, there's almost zero excuses to have narrow avenues to examine what professional wrestling is.

If you are really wanting to expand your horizons and get a fuller picture of the game, there's a proverbial field of options to choose from.

Hiding behind "availibility issues" is a excuse to avoid discovering something beyond the televised promotions or perhaps, fear of not being able to "get it".

But they obviously are discussing "in the WWE".  They are discussing  "No one has been better..." or "... is the best", in the WWE should be obviously added to the end.

I don't buy that. Maybe it's true for some people. But I'd say the idiots who make statements like "So-and-So is CLEARLY one of the top 10 workers in the past 15 years" don't want that to mean "only in the WWE".

I'd also like to add that people don't have to watch various promotions, nor do they have to be even familiar with good in-ring wrestling. But if people are going to be making statements that would require knowledge of promotions outside the WWE and knowledge of in-ring wrestling, you better be well-versed in the topic. Too many people like to make statements about who the best wrestler is, or what the match of the year is, despite having seen nothing but WWE stuff.

But they obviously are discussing "in the WWE".  They are discussing  "No one has been better..." or "... is the best", in the WWE should be obviously added to the end.

I don't buy that. Maybe it's true for some people. But I'd say the idiots who make statements like "So-and-So is CLEARLY one of the top 10 workers in the past 15 years" don't want that to mean "only in the WWE".

He's right. When you've got people saying HBK is one of the best workers of all time, they clearly mean in all of wrestling. When they've never seen anything outside of WWE such a statement only looks more foolish than it already does.

Hiding behind "availibility issues" is a excuse to avoid discovering something beyond the televised promotions or perhaps, fear of not being able to "get it".

How else do you expect certain people around here to keep living in denial? They've got to have some plausible excuse to avoid facing up to what they deep down already know.

He's right. When you've got people saying HBK is one of the best workers of all time, they clearly mean in all of wrestling. When they've never seen anything outside of WWE such a statement only looks more foolish than it already does.

Yeah, that's actually what I was referring to, but I couldn't quite remember the quote.

All I will say is that it is hard to get into something new. Period. With the WWE, most people here have probably grown up with it from an early age and when we're younger everything is new, so it's not quite as hard. Over time, as new wrestlers are introduced and mesh with the older, more familiar, wrestlers, we hardly notice the change. When you watch foreign wrestling, it's all lumped on you at once.

What about the stuff that featured today's WWE guys? Those should be fairly easy to get into. "Oh I didn't know Eddie Guerrero was Black Tiger. Maybe this Pegasus vs Tiger match will be good!"

It takes an open mind to get into a new product, especially a foreign one. So you can see why certain people around here would have trouble getting into it, even if it was feature Benoit and Guerrero.

Yeah, of course. That's one of the reasons why Jcup 94 is often (suggested to be) the first purchase made. You watch that for Benoit, Eddie, and Dean (Even Taka and Lyger), and you see Sasuke, Delphin, Ohtani and Hayabusa (El Sam to some extent) and you get interested in those guys as well. I, personally, don't know why someone wouldn't want to pick up that show (don't want to buy on-line??). I guess you'd have to ask them.

Some people are afraid to watch it because it's unfamilar, and some people just don't want to put the effort in and will get by on watching Raw.

I, personally, don't know why someone wouldn't want to pick up that show (don't want to buy on-line??).  I guess you'd have to ask them.

Some people are afraid to watch it because it's unfamilar, and some people just don't want to put the effort in and will get by on watching Raw.

Like you said, some people don't want to put in the effort. They want to remain within the safety of their own little world where WWE is the only wrestling that matters, and anything else isn't worth bothering with.

Since you're obviously referring to me, I'll just say that I did mean Top 10 in North America. By no means do I consider myself qualified to evaluate puro.

How else do you expect certain people around here to keep living in denial? They've got to have some plausible excuse to avoid facing up to what they deep down already know

Like you said, some people don't want to put in the effort. They want to remain within the safety of their own little world where WWE is the only wrestling that matters, and anything else isn't worth bothering with

I love it when the moderator tries to psychoanalize people that don't conform to his standards. "Some people this," "certain people that," my God.

No one. Perhaps the slightly-retarded. But generally... NO ONE. Can legitimately "like" the WWE. The WWE can't be someones "preference". It's just too bad of a product. So please understand where he (we) are all coming from trying to "psychoanalize" you.

RavishingRickRudo

Most active in  World Wrestling Entertainment

( 5982 posts / 57% of this member's active posts )

Get off your goddamn high horse.

Guest *KNK*

How exactly is RRR's (one of the very few people here, who have a clue what he is talking about) post percentage supposed to indicate that he isn't allowed to dicuss WWE?

Unlike Iggy for instance, Rudo in all his infinite hatred for Vince McMahon and his promotion is more credible then fanboys who blindly swallow this and try to offer excuses when the excuses arent nearly good enough to justify what they do.