TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jericholic82

WinFixer 2005

Hey, somehow this wound up on my dads (in his usernames) desktop. I guess it asked him if he wanted to dowload a program, but he stopped it cuz it asked to register for 39.95 . But the shortcut was still on his desktop and in the programs files. I googled this and found people saying it was some sort of spy/mal ware program and what you had to do (run hijack this and all kinds of stuff I dont have on my PC right now). Not being good at geekspeak I had no idea what to do. I went to the control panel on windows xp and to add/remove programs and removed this thing. I restarted it and its no longer listed there or on my processes list. But did I really get rid of it, or did I screw myself worse?

Sorry to sound like an idiot but I guess I am.

However I would never click on anything like this myself as I know better at least.

Anyone have any idea about this?

Son of a,

I thought that was it, but it wasn't

now i got popups for WinAntiSpyware AND Match.com

I got a program called 'cleanup 4.0' , google it and it SHOULD remove it..i have no problems so far

Ok, I read online that the best solution is to use microsoft spyware program (whatever its called I forget). Also heard frist hand that theer is a program to fix this problem (guessing its the ms one) so Im going to contact an expert and ask which program wil take care of this. If I find out, I'll be sure to post on here.

as of now I am using my AOL due to my expolrer being all ajcked up.

HijackThis is a program that examines a lot of things about your system and creates a list of various programs, DLL libraries, and other things it's using. It's dangerous to use if you don't know what you're doing, much moreso than Ad-Aware or Spybot or MS AntiSpyware, because if you just choose to check all the things it brings up and delete them, you'll wreck your system. The best thing to do is save the list as a log file and then paste the log into the forum so people can examine it for you.

In the meantime, this is a very new adware trojan and the scanners and like haven't gotten around to adding it yet. In the meantime, please stop using MSIE and move to a non-Microsoft browser. IE is essentially tied into the Windows OS a little too much, and that makes it dangerous to browse the web with.

FireFox and Opera are two free web browsers (Opera stopped charging people for it's browser the other day) that are both way better than IE.

I bought a software called "SPYWARE KILLER PRO" at Best Buy (ots on sale this week for 29.95 with 30 bucks in mail in rebates so you only pay tax and postage really) It appears to have fixed my problems.

but who knows.

I really need to stop using explorer :D