TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
spman

Getting to NYC

So I happened to luck into tickets for The Maury Show today, they tape in NYC. I've never been to the city beofre, despite it only being maybe a 2 hour drive tops from here in CT. To those who frequent NYC, what's the best way to get there? Car? Train? I hear the train is expensive now, but I also hear that parking and traffic in the city can be a pain. Any advice?

Driving into Manhattan, and I think you'd probably be taking 278 West, could be a nightmare. The driving is seriously intense. You'd probably worry less about being on time, and about incurring large parking charges, if you just took the train.

Who knows though, maybe someone else had better experiences.

How expensive can the train be? I used to take the train from Boston to NYC occasionally when I was a teenager, and I don't remember it being cost prohibitive. Plus, once you get to the city you won't need a car ... why bother driving in if you're just going to leave your car parked with you take the subway or a cab everywhere?

Guest TheDon

Amtrak is getting pretty expensive. They also raised their prices due to the oil prices going up. MetroNorth is pretty cheap though. You can take that from Stamford or New Haven and right into Grand Central.

i'd go with the train. going by car brings in a host of x-factors that i just wouldn't want to deal with (finding and paying for parking, traffic, perpetual one-way streets, hordes of pedestrians, almost no gas stations).

plus it's nice to just walk around the city.

Guest Miss Indy Queen
So I happened to luck into tickets for The Maury Show today, they tape in NYC. I've never been to the city beofre, despite it only being maybe a 2 hour drive tops from here in CT. To those who frequent NYC, what's the best way to get there? Car? Train? I hear the train is expensive now, but I also hear that parking and traffic in the city can be a pain. Any advice?

I would definitely recommend taking the train. The prices for parking your car is ridiculous in the city and the show tapes at Penn Plaza if I'm not mistaken so you're right smack in the middle of downtown NY. If you're not used to NY drivers (which means the yellow taxis who don't give a shit about other drivers on the road), I don't think you want to take the hassle of driving through the city and sitting in traffic midday.

Guest TheDon

Are you kidding me? Do you know how many cars there are in Manhattan? The rich dont want to take subways or the bus. You have people coming from all over the tristate area coming into Manhattan and parking is the biggest pain in the ass.

*shrugs* I wouldn't know, I've never been...I meant like in general...like in my city, you want to go to the store, you get in your car and drive...I got the impression most NYers either walked or used public transport for such things...

*shrugs* I wouldn't know, I've never been...I meant like in general...like in my city, you want to go to the store, you get in your car and drive...I got the impression most NYers either walked or used public transport for such things...

Generally, they do. If you're a rich local, that just means you'll shell out for a cab every time. That's too expensive for us average joes. Mostly everyone has to rely on the subways, although MTA does nothing but piss everyone off on a daily basis.

So I got my ticekts today for the show, and they tell me to be outside the studio at 9am. That sucks because it means I gotta start really early. There are local metro north stops, like within 10 minutes driving of my house, but they don't start operating untill around 7am, which would be too late. Instead now I have to find the main transfer point in Bridgeport, CT, and I have to get up at 5am to catch a train around 6 to make it to NYC by 8. Oh well, I guess it'll be an experience at least.

Are you kidding me?  Do you know how many cars there are in Manhattan?  The rich dont want to take subways or the bus.  You have people coming from all over the tristate area coming into Manhattan and parking is the biggest pain in the ass.

i know exactly 2 people in this city who keep cars here, and that's only for when they go on out-of-state trips to connecticut and shit. there ARE a lot of cars in manhattan, but keep in mind that at any given time during the day there's something like 3 or 4 million people in a pretty damn small area. also keep in mind how many cabs there are (one taxi for every 2 cars i think), and that ONE cab transports far more people in a day than 3 or 4 cars. people obviously do commute here from NJ, CT, etc., but they generally don't use cars to get around IN manhattan. they come to work, leave the car there, come back in the evening. if they have to run errands around manhattan, they don't drive.

it's generally accepted knowledge that to get around manhattan in a car is difficult, cumbersome and insane. exceptions are far and few between, and you can only say there's a lot of car-drivers here because there's so many god damn people here.