TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianChris

This Week in Baseball

Guest *KNK*
On the other hand, they could move Berkman to first and play Dunn in the outfield.

Just curious, Who would the Astros have to give up to get Dunn? Because like Victim said, they wouldn't have to do much to get Dunn off Cincinnati's hand (they are already covered in the OF/1st) and Dunn will require a big contract that Cincinnati really doesn't need to give him. Does Houston have good pitching prospects to give up?

On the other hand, they could move Berkman to first and play Dunn in the outfield.

Just curious, Who would the Astros have to give up to get Dunn? Because like Victim said, they wouldn't have to do much to get Dunn off Cincinnati's hand (they are already covered in the OF/1st) and Dunn will require a big contract that Cincinnati really doesn't need to give him. Does Houston have good pitching prospects to give up?

Rumor has it they wanted 2 major league ready pitchers (like Wandy Rodriguez and Ezequiel Astacio) and at least one position player (like a Chris Burke). That was their baseline. However, as Adam's free agency looms closer and closer, they might be willing to bend a little bit.

Houston doesn't have a very strong upper level minor league system, but they have quite a few lower level prospects that look promising, such as a Hunter Pence, Charlton Jimerson, Jason Hirsch, and Ben Zobrist. Pitching does seem to be the one area their fairly deep in, as the Astros go pitching heavy in most of the last 4 or 5 drafts.

On the Thome to Detroit idea. I can't imagine Detroit trading for him, considering the size of a contract for an injury plagued player (course, seeing the way Detroit has handled their free-agent signings lately, injury prone players are their favorites). Also, Carlos Pena came back from the minors late in the season and went on quite a tear. They have both Chris Shelton (who was as hot as anyone for a good part of the mid-season after being called up)who they seem to be high on, as well as Dmitri Young. So between the three of them, the DH/1B positions seem covered. That being said, I don't have faith that Pena can ever be consistant enough to be the permanent 1B though, but maybe a Shelton/Pena platoon could work for a year.

On the Thome to Detroit idea. I can't imagine Detroit trading for him, considering the size of a  contract for an injury plagued player (course, seeing the way Detroit has handled their free-agent signings lately, injury prone players are their favorites). Also, Carlos Pena came back from the minors late in the season and went on quite a tear. They have both Chris Shelton (who was as hot as anyone for a good part of the mid-season after being called up)who they seem to be high on, as well as Dmitri Young. So between the three of them, the DH/1B positions seem covered. That being said, I don't have faith that Pena can ever be consistant enough to be the permanent 1B though, but maybe a Shelton/Pena platoon could work for a year.

Looking this up quickly, I can't resist reposting Chris Shelton's Yahoo pic...

7259.jpg

That out of the way, its a good idea, but Shelton performed well against righties this season. The Tigers may do well to play Shelton full time at DH and find another platoon partner for Pena.

Shelton was C eligible in fantasy, but did he ever actually play it?

None this season that I know of, though I don't have his minor league fielding positions available for the last two years. He played six games at catcher last year in the majors, none this year.