TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Karnage

DVD Commentary Ripping

I just got an MP3 player and want to listen to commentaries on the road. I know I'm not the only one with this idea so does anyone know a way to rip DVD commentaries into MP3 or WMA format?

I would use DVDShrink to first "BackUp" the DVD to your computer, from their you will have to convert the VOB files into a MP3 stream, which you will need a program like TMPmpeg (Don't think that’s the exact name, and can't find the website.) but that program will decompose the VOB's into 2 streams, audio & video. Which the audio I believe will be in WAV at that point, and then simply convert it to MP3.

Admin's way is long and difficult. DVD Decrypter will decode seperate audio streams in IFO mode. Just go to the tab that says Stream Processing, check Enable Stream Processing, and uncheck the other English stream. Chances are you'll know which one's the main audio and which one is the commentary due to the main audio being 5.1 nearly every goddamn time.

You'll then get a Dolby .AC3 usually of the audio. This can be converted to an MP3 by a number of programs. I reccomend BeSweet and it's accompanying GUI program (because BeSweet is a DOS app, the GUI app is also a must-have) but it's kind of difficult to use because the GUI doesn't really spell things out for you if you don't know what you need.

If you can't figure it out yourself, let me know and I'll post a tutorial with pictures. I use all this stuff almost every day.