TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Finch

Best Albums

Guest Finch

This is a tough one, but I would have to say Rage Against the Machine's self entitled. Your thoughts........

This is a tough one, but I would have to say Rage Against the Machine's self entitled.  Your thoughts........

Though Nevermind was more cuturally significant, Nirvana's In Utero.

Pantera's Vulgar Display of Power.

I also mark out for The Hip's Up to Here and Fully Completely.

Guest Finch
This is a tough one, but I would have to say Rage Against the Machine's self entitled.  Your thoughts........

Pantera's Vulgar Display of Power.

I also mark out for The Hip's Up to Here and Fully Completely.

Smells like something, but it's not teen spirit

Dream Theater's Metropolis Pt. II: Scenes From A Memory. While most people prefer Opeth in the field of prog metal, I prefer DT simply for the fact that I get a feeling of so much more going on. That, and this album is probably the greatest work of musical art to happen since the invention of rock n' roll (IMO).

Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea

Definitely up there.

The Wedding Present - Seamonsters (1991) completely obliterated everything both the US and UK rock scenes were producing simultaneously, I think that's hugely significant.

Tindersticks have been a consistently good/brilliant act since 1993, though it's tough to pinpoint one album. The debut is remarkably assured with some of their best songs, but runs a little long to be a classic.

Pulp were the best of the mainstream Britpop wave by a mile, I'll go with Different Class because it was their high-point career wise, though His 'n' Hers remains underrated.

I agree that the RATM debut would have to make the list, never bettered within a field it defined.

Guest The Iron Yuppie

I would defintiely agree with In Utero.

Guest Kaedon
Tom Waits- Alice

Bone Machine would have to take precedent I think, as it was released the year of both were recorded, but I've always loved Alice.

Ahh I dunno man, I really love Alice. It's my favorite album(as a whole) by Tom Waits.

This is an easy one

320516.jpg

Scenes From a Memory is Dream Theater's worst album, not their best. Most of the CD is sappy songs about "I was once a young woman and I got shot, oh noes..."

As for the best album, I'm tempted to say Iced Earth's Glorious Burden just to spite all the people who mock "that thirty minute Civil War song", but I'll just go with my tried and true favorite CD, namely Draconian Times by Paradise Lost

some personal favorites:

Dr. Dre "The Chronic"

Wu-Tang Clan "Enter The 36 Chambers" (that was the title right, or something similar? I gotta go back and look)

Pearl Jam-"Ten"

Alice In Chains-"Dirt"

Ice Cube-"Death Certificate"

Faith No More-"Angel Dust"

A Perfect Circle-"Mer De Noms"

just off the top of my head...

God, I could list a 100 or more albums I love from that period for various reasons. Here's just a few.....

REM - Automatic For The People

Radiohead - The Bends

Wilco - Being There

Eels - Electro-Shock Blues

The Boo Radleys - Giant Steps

Uncle Tupelo - Anodyne

The Jayhawks - Tomorrow The Green Grass

Red House Painters - s/t

Nina Nastasia - The Blackened Air

Belle & Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister

Gorky's Zygotic Mynci - Barafundle

Ron Sexsmith - s/t

Afghan Whigs - Congregation

Screeching Weasel - My Brain Hurts

Most of mine have been chosen (namely Aquemini and In the Aeroplane Over The Sea). But also, Biggie's Ready to Die and Radiohead's The Bends.

Whoever suggested Dream Theater is nuts.

my picks (A lot of Albums)

My Bloody Valentine-Loveless (Cliche to pick this one, but I love it to death)

A Tribe Called Quest-Low End Theory

Pharcyde-Bizarre Ride 2 Tha Pharcyde

DJ Shadow-Endtroducing

Godspeed You Black Emperor-F#A#

Faith No More-Angel Dust

Alice In Chains-Jar of Flys

Coil-Loves Secret Domain

Ministry-Psalm 69

Depeche Mode-Violator

Portishead-Dummy

Front Line Assembly-Tactical Neural Implant

Fantomas-The Directors Cut

Orb-The Orbs Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld

Massive Attack-Mezzanine

Aphex Twin-Selected Ambient Works 85-92

"Nice" by Puffy AmiYumi because it proves that good old fashioned pop rock is alive and well, even if it takes a J-Pop band who still isn't completely comfortable with English to prove it. An Illustrated History is better, but it's a greatest hits from Japan album whereas Nice was recorded after they started touring in the States

Edited by Masked Man of Mystery

I chose DT's Scenes... because of the fact that it was a conception album that was, you know, kinda easy to follow. Petrucci, Myung, and Portnoy wrote great music (as always) and created a hell of a story without the need for LaBrie's vocals (which, as usual, were cheesy as fuck).

And Stuck Mojo is rapcore, rap/rock, whatever you feel like calling it, same as RATM. I'd say Mojo did the whole "mixing rap with heavy music" thing better than anybody else, considering, you know...Rich could play guitar without resorting to cheap tricks using a bunch of different distortion techniques.