TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Corey_Lazarus

Zombie Apocalypse/Send More Paramedics

These two bands, possibly the finest horrorcore bands around, released a split EP together earlier this year (mid-August or so) entitled Tales Told By Dead Men. 5 songs from each, and I just bought it last night.

ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE

1. Just Meat

Good track, only 45 seconds long or so. Starts off with a George Carlin quote (Zombies! Where the FUCK are the zombies!?), and then it's spaztastic hardcore insanity. Longer than a good chunk of the tracks on their debut EP, This Is A Spark Of Life, that came out last year.

2. God I Hope The Data Is Lying

Oddly enough, this one seems like a more CONSTRUCTED song than the band's usual work...until it breaks down into chaos, which seems to be their trademark. Not my favorite track of theirs on this split, but definitely catchy, and possibly the most melodic of them.

3. Breaking Off Fingers

Starts off thrash-y, then goes right into hardcore. More "punk" than what ZA usually does, but it's still a nice track. Definitely something to get the pits going, accomplishing the creation of an urge to mosh in me better than most of their other stuff does (which should say a lot, considering every song is mosh-worthy but ONE song), so it's good.

4. Murder Be A Lady Tonight

A metal start, then right into hardcore, and again: more constructed than their usual stuff. Ultimately better than the entire Spark of Life EP put together, but one of the things I admired about ZA originally was their complete embrace of chaos in their music. It's still there, just not as big, although still an entire soundtrack the oncoming raising of hell.

5. Tale Told By A Dead Man

My favorite track of theirs so far, and it's because it sounds NOTHING like them. Garage rock-y intro, then slow, plodding hardcore...and clean verses with spoken word over them (mixed with screaming). There's actually a good solo in it, and if you're into heavy music and don't love how they randomly break out into the intro of "South of Heaven," then you're not REALLY into heavy music, are you? Either that, or one of the few "heavy" fans that doesn't like Slayer...stupid cunts, all of 'em. But yeah, good song. Melodic solo over moderately paced heaviness, and I guess this could be Zombie Apocalypse's "ballad"...but it's better than a ballad. Slow hardcore + "South of Heaven" + PIANO + melodic solo = I love it.

6. ...

Just a bagpipe drone to lead into the first Send More Paramedics track.

SEND MORE PARAMEDICS

7. From The Void

AWESOME intro as the ambient solo goes over the thrash breakdown nicely...and then BAM! You're spazzing out and wanting to mosh. If you hate vocalists like Paul Baloff, Steve Souza, or Tom Araya, you'll HATE SMP's frontman. If you like thrash (although their production leaves much to be desired, as it sounds as though the guitars are coming in over some shoddy practice amp and a cheap distortion pedal, or something), you'll dig them. Weak drumming (but that's present in all of their work). Good arrangement of the riffs and solo's in this song, and I dig the gang chant at the end as the ambient solo returns.

8. Zombies vs. Shark

I love the name of this song. Slow, plodding bass intro to set the tone of unease, then the guitars come in to bring the heaviness. I can definitely see SMP doing the soundtrack for a horror movie better than most other horrorcore bands could. I like the flow of the vocals throughout the song, and the chorus is, actually, the best part of the song.

9. Funeral

If you like thrash, you'll like this song. Short, fast, heavy, and filled with moshy goodness. The one song that probably couldn't be in a horror movie, oddly enough, as it's a pure thrash tune with little-to-no ambience or true unease (outside of the dissonance that comes with playing thrash).

10. Nothing Tastes Like This

Good intro, but a little too reminiscent of "Zombie vs. Shark," and then the verse is pure 80's thrash goodness. Hardcore chorus with some cheesy solo stuff over it that sounds like they lifted it from an emo band, and yeah. GOOD solo part as there's dueling solo's (at the SAME TIME) going right into a rather generic hardcore breakdown. Good gang chants at the end. And then...a VERY subtle bass solo/dance track that leads right into...

11. This Is The Place of Wailing and The Gnashing of Teeth

GREAT intro to get the pits going. Pure hardcore song for a lot of it, but that actually works to their advantage as its hardcore in the "hardcore punk" variety more than it is of the "HONOR, DESTINY, BLOOD" tough guy bullshit. A good ender to the album as the breakdown is nice, but I think that "Nothing Tastes Like This" would have worked as an ender better, or maybe have ZA as the last 5 tracks. Wait until the VERY end of the track for another Carlin quote, too.

Overall, a worthy purchase if you're into these bands, and the songs are at least worth a download if you're not into them but into heavy music.

Horrorcore rap is where it's at.

Zombie vs. Shark eh? Aw such sweet memories from the movie Zombi 2!

Anyway you can rip this onto the puter, host it and let me download it? :)

I could rip a couple tracks, but since I'm a fanatic for Zombie Apocalypse, I think I'll make you buy the record (should you ever be able to find it).

Oh, don't worry I am not a leach, if I like it I buy it. I just don't usually buy stuff without hearing it first.