TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kahran Ramsus

GameCube DRE

Yes, not the PS2. The other night when trying to play GameCube, I got the dreaded Disc Read Error which haunts PS2 owners when they go to bed at night. Now I tried cleaning the lens and blowing dust out of the system, but it still doesn't work. What tends to happen is that no games will work and then after 15-20 minutes it will start reading the disks and I can play anything I want for as long as I want. It is on a flat surface and in a wide-open space.

This certainly seems like strange behaviour to me, and is completely different from the usual overheating problems that you see many GameCube owners get.

Any help on trying to figure this out will be greatly appreciated.

Happens to me now and then--mainly when I've got a few smudges, but sometimes just for no apparent reason.

Strangely, I've never gotten a DRE with my PS2 slim except for discs that already look shot to hell.

Usually it's the other way around with the timely errors... but, it could be due to lens disalignment. 

http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/gamecube/fi...s_calibrate.txt

Supposedly, this is a good guide from Gamefaqs on how to fix the problem.

Thank you. This is what I'm going to try. I just need some time for the Gamebit to get here. This might be the problem. What I still find really odd is that it starts working after awhile, but its a bugger to get started. It definitely isn't the disks since they all don't work, then they all start working at the same time. After that it is only when the GameCube is off for an extended period that it stops working again. I had to adjust the lazer on the PS2 before too, but it was a hell of a lot easier to get into the machine.

I've had this happen to me with 2 different GameCubes. Oddly enough, both times I was playing a Resident Evil game:

After I played through 3/4 of the first Resident Evil, my Gamecube had an error message every 15 minutes no matter what game I had in. I returned it for a new Gamecube and it worked fine from mid-2002 until...

Early this year when I got Resident Evil 4, then it started happening again. But, thankfully this time the DRE's only seem to happen with RE4. I haven't tried RE1 lately, but I think it would probably cause errors too. I have no idea what it is about Resident Evil that kills my Gamecubes...