TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Decemberists

Tenay speaks about Liger

On F4W Mike Tenay said that the Joe/Liger match was meant to be about five minutes longer than it ended up being, but there was a problem with getting the information to the ref. The ref was told to end it in the next five minutes, but he told Joe to end it now.

But on the bright side he also says he expects Liger to be back, and also spoke of having a New Japan team in a future X Cup, which could be awesome.

Guest ChampKind

Liger, Koji Kanemoto, HEAT, and Tiger Mask IV in a TNA event? I'd like it. Assuming that's the team they'd go with, of course.

Guest *KNK*
Five minutes longer?  The match was pretty damn short as it was

Five more minutes would have placed it at 12 minutes, which is roughly around the neighborhood of what I was expecting anyways.

I thought it had already been revealed that they only decided on what to do for a main event during the match and that lead to them going short?

I guess the first plan was for a 20 minute or so match which they decided to cut in half while it was going on, so told to ref to end it earlier, but he fucked up and ended it almost straight away.

Guest *KNK*
I thought it had already been revealed that they only decided on what to do for a main event during the match and that lead to them going short?

I guess the first plan was for a 20 minute or so match which they decided to cut in half while it was going on, so told to ref to end it earlier, but he fucked up and ended it almost straight away.

Yes, so instead of cutting an unneccesary match that no one cared about (DITR/Job Squad), they wanted to shorten one of the show's draw and managed to fuck that up

Looks like according to Tenay, the match was never intended to be cut down. Odds are they were going to cut down on the rest of the matches a little bit, like a minute or so each, but the ref didn't hear what they wanted.

A rematch of Liger/Joe would be cool for Impact.

Guest [censored]

The Liger - Joe match sucked because it had no story, build or even reason to exist. And since it was absolutely clear that Joe would not suffer his first TNA defeat at the hands of someone not even in the company it became not a match but basically a atheletic dance of sorts. Exactly the type of thing TNA needs to get away from. I can think of many ways to build up to and do an interesting TNA Joe v. Liger story but throwing them together 2 weeks before the PPV is not one of them.

Matches are only going to be interesting to the non ROH freaks if they have that air of kayfabe competiveness. This is why Daniels v. Styles works and Joe v. Liger won't.

If people want huge storylinees and 20 minute promos explains things over and over again they can watch the WWE.

And it wasn't absolutely clear in a "kayfabe competiveness' way that Joe would lose. It was Jushin freaking Liger who they brought in rather than some Japanese guy no one had heard of.

Besides, the whole point of any match is to see who wins, purely from a competitive viewpoint and of course the winners share of the purse and the chance to move up in the rankings. People go to see real sports don't they?

One thing TNA do need to do is start having the title contender rankings on tv. They have them on the website but never mention them during Impact or PPVs.

Before any match put up the top 5/10 World, X or Tag rankings and say how the if team a win they could move up to 4th but if team b win they will over take team a and move up to 5th or something like that.

It would ten seconds and would give every match some extra "explanation" if just the fact it's two wrestlers having a match to see who'll win one isn't enough for people.

The Liger - Joe match sucked because it had no story, build or even reason to exist.  And since it was absolutely clear that Joe would not suffer his first TNA defeat at the hands of someone not even in the company it became not a match but basically a atheletic dance of sorts.  Exactly the type of thing TNA needs to get away from.  I can think of many ways to build up to and do an interesting TNA Joe v. Liger story but throwing them together 2 weeks before the PPV is not one of them.

Matches are only going to be interesting to the non ROH freaks if they have that air of kayfabe competiveness.  This is why Daniels v. Styles works and Joe v. Liger won't.

Why did they have to add some "story" to that match? It was clearly there to draw the workrate fans and no one else. What's wrong with that? It's not like the fairweather fans even know who Liger is, so even if they ran some angle, those people wouldn't care anyway.

TNA still has to appease the smart/workrate fan segment of their fanbase. And generally, those people won't care if a match has no story, as long it has the potential to be well-wrestled. They can draw the casual marks with other things.

Guest [censored]
,Nov 12 2005, 04:01 PM]The Liger - Joe match sucked because it had no story, build or even reason to exist.  And since it was absolutely clear that Joe would not suffer his first TNA defeat at the hands of someone not even in the company it became not a match but basically a atheletic dance of sorts.  Exactly the type of thing TNA needs to get away from.  I can think of many ways to build up to and do an interesting TNA Joe v. Liger story but throwing them together 2 weeks before the PPV is not one of them.

Matches are only going to be interesting to the non ROH freaks if they have that air of kayfabe competiveness.  This is why Daniels v. Styles works and Joe v. Liger won't.

Why did they have to add some "story" to that match? It was clearly there to draw the workrate fans and no one else. What's wrong with that? It's not like the fairweather fans even know who Liger is, so even if they ran some angle, those people wouldn't care anyway.

TNA still has to appease the smart/workrate fan segment of their fanbase. And generally, those people won't care if a match has no story, as long it has the potential to be well-wrestled. They can draw the casual marks with other things.

I don't understand this attitude of that it has to some how be either or? Why can't they do both, put together two guys who can work and build it up some. I'm not talking about some fucking soap opera but just some build up. Perhaps some videos of JTL, and some discussion of all that he has accomplished, and why its such a tough match. Maybe some talk of JTL wanting a X division title shot. Christ it's not that hard really, and it's not like the ROHiots are going to decide to not watch.

Putting two guys out there and just saying well, this will please this small segment but noone else is just flat out stupid. The entire point of the X division I thought was that it was garunteed great wrestling each and everytime out. This shouldn't become some crutch where they can now just say fuck it and not put any work into what goes into the PPV. Especially when all it takes it some slight effort to demonstrate the importance of this match to the semi serious fan who knows JTL from reputation and his WCW days.

I'm not asking for a shriveled hand coming out of a shriveled pussy here, just a normal ppv boxing type build up.

Because it was a one shot deal, and it was presented as a dream match. As far as I know, they put over Liger as a legend, and showed some video packages. Why make up some ridiculous stuff about wanting an X-Division title shot, when pretty much everyone knew it was a one shot deal? The match was built as a dream match, and it was done to draw the people who actually know who Liger is. For people who don't know Liger, they would either see those packages and say "well maybe I'll check out his match", or they'd say "Liger who?" and change the channel. And for the latter example, it wouldn't matter what kind of half-assed story they added to the match.

No doubt it wouldn't have done any good to try for a Liger story as A. He's Japanese and his English isn't wakademaske(?) and B. they are apealing to people who already know Liger as well as Joe..that's why they were curtain jerking...I'm sorry but they were...I'm excited that Joe is part of TNA but he's getting the slow build which is the right way to handle such a treasure...yes I'm still drunk...