TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ChrisMWaters

How good are NWA relations with TNA Really?

OK, these thoughts had started going through my mind recently, just for curiousity sake.

Just how good are the relations really between the National Wrestling Alliance and the heads of TNA?

I mean, there has to be some reason, besides seeming more edgy, that TNA decided to drop NWA from their name. Yet they do still use both the NWA World Heavyweight and World Tag Team titles as their main belts (except for the X-Division title, as that's their own. As there are other X-Titles all around the NWA)

So I was wondering, how good are NWA and TNA's relationships with each other? LIke, if TNA started to do tours outside of the Orlando area, would performers from other branches of NWA be able to compete for one shots...maybe even show their belts to show how diversified the NWA is, making TNA seem like the head of a much larger entity?

For example...say they were doing a show in Japan. Would they be able to get a match for the IWGP Title on their show with Brock against someone, for example? That's a big one, but still, the point is there?

Anyway, just had to put this out here to see opinions of the masses.

From what I know, the NWA hates TNA. IIRC, someone once said that TNA was holding the NWA Heavyweight and Tag Titles "hostage".

From what I know, the NWA hates TNA. IIRC, someone once said that TNA was holding the NWA Heavyweight and Tag Titles "hostage".

Interesting...heard nothing about that.

Really surprised about that too, as NWAwrestling.com seems pretty pro-TNA...having logos for it on their page...as well as selling (when their shop site is up) a shirt with the TNA X-Division title on it.

I know they used to hate them when Jerry was in control. Doesn't seem they have much hate for Dixie and co though.

Seems like they've put the past in the past and realize a successful TNA means their belt becomes important once again.

Here's what I've got.

1. TNA is far and away the biggest venue for the NWA title to be since the WWE would never take it.

2. If I'm not mistaken...the NWA president left in the past year.

3. The NWA is only a name at this point...and has been since WCW had their falling out with them. They kept the title alive until TNA came about...but then stripped their champion (Dan Severn) and gave it to TNA.

4. TNA can put it on anyone they see fit...when WCW did this almost 15 years ago...the NWA pulled their name from them. They have made no such move with TNA...so they can't be that unhappy.

5. I've never understood why TNA dropped the NWA name...but they do put over the lineage and history of the NWA titles (World and Tag) very often.

Well, the first part of my question is answered.

Now about that other part...if TNA started doing tours around the country or even world, would nearby NWA groups (like Wildside, which I think is the nearest one to TNA...or for overseas, New Japan (which is listed as a member of the NWA on their site) be able to get some of their wrestlers on the show to show off their stars, if just one match, and thus make TNA seem important because it's the head of this whole major entity that is the NWA?

I think I remember reading somewhere that TNA had acquired the rights to the NWA World and Tag Team Championships until the year 2014. Or something like that.