TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The Rose Bowl Thread

While I had no problems with USC, I was wondering how LSU fans felt about USC's 3-peat claim, especially since the crystal football trophy from '03 is in Baton Rouge, not LA

I would have liked it more if the media would have said 2 time AP National Champions. I just hate the media

I don't really believe in a playoff either, so I don't know how the fuck to fix the BCS situation.

I thought the tight end, David Thomas had a great game. He's a hell of a football player. The entire offensive line was great also.

USC seemed so worried about containing the ground game and preventing the deep ball that they forgot the mid-range stuff. All those 10-20 yard passes! Granted, Young has a very quick release but so many of those yards were racked up by receivers who had no one around them for five yards when they caught it. That tight end was ALWAYS open when Young needed him, it seemed. You think USC would like, put a body on him at some point.

I think a lot of this has to do with how great the offensive line played. They weren't able to get any pass rush on Young. With time eventually the middle of the field will open up and he can make easy decisions. Especially when they had to bring the blitz. They still couldn't get to him and it only opened up more of the field. They only tackled Young for a loss once and that only lost one yard.

Young played a great game, but I think the O-line is due for a nice chunk of credit.

I still don't understand how they could do all of those pieces before the game was even played.

And as much as you all bitch about ESPN and their biases in one way or another, the voting on each of those historical matchups ended up concurring with them. Shows how easily manipulated even sports fans are.

I can't wait until I go back to class on Monday. I'm ready to hear it from the UCLA fans around here, when they haven't won a national title in God knows how long.

I still don't understand how they could do all of those pieces before the game was even played.

You know what pissed me off? They didn't even mention last year's USC team, which with no doubt in my mind would have ran this one off the field.

Edited by Kingofthe909

I wonder how all the great teams from the past feel about ESPN saying USC could have beat them in those fluff pieces that were put on in the run up to the Rose Bowl.

They probably didn't care because ESPN is a joke that just kisses asses of young superstars (in this case Leinart and Bush) so they'll give them interviews for the next 20 years and get to rub shoulders with them when they come to Bristol to shoot a SportsCenter commercial.

All of the first-gen cable networks should be taken behind the barn and shot after they're 30 years old. Spare CNN since it's a news channel and not so transparently commercialized.

All of the first-gen cable networks should be taken behind the barn and shot after they're 30 years old. Spare CNN since it's a news channel and not so transparently commercialized.

It's getting there REALLY fast.

Nah, I was just playin around. Surprisingly, I'm not mad at this loss.

Also, this anti-Leinart bullshit is really ridiculous, especially coming from those that can't even spell his fucking name right.

Edited by Kingofthe909

Lienart isn't going to have Bush to push him into the endzone in the NFL.

He'll have......have.....who's the RB in New Orleans?

Man the more I watch Leinart's interviews the more he comes across as a punk.

It's funny b/c now Corso is demanding the Texans draft Vince Young. The VY sweepstakes? How fickle you are ESPN. The Texans don't even need him.

Oh that's going to get Kirk Herbstreit some heel heat from Rose Bowl purist. He just said that Vince Young owns the Rose Bowl.

Nah, I was just playin around. Surprisingly, I'm not mad at this loss.

Also, this anti-Leinart bullshit is really ridiculous, especially coming from those that can't even spell his fucking name right.

I'll agree that everyone turning on Leinart was dumb. BUTT I still think he sounded like a punk.

Ok so what happened to Pete Carroll's month to prepare to shut down Vince Young? Is he just that good?

Dama, after that impressive show of mood swings and position switching, I'd avoid responding directly to other people for the rest of the thread.

Hey I thought Texas was going to lose most of the entire second half. I didn't switch my position until it was completely locked up and by then it'd have been silly to think USC was going to win when there was no time on the clock.

He did sound like a punk, but after such a hard loss, I can't really blame him. He's still young.

The guy lost 3 games in his entire career as a starter in high school and college, losing's gonna be tough for anyone in that situation.

Guest Vitamin X

Is anyone REALLY surprised at an SC player being a complete dick? As a Bruins fan, it doesn't. Thus the main reason why I could never like USC football. The common "University of Spoiled Children" nickname really does apply for the good majority of people that I know of, that went there.

Of course, I'm probably going to be accepted into FSU in a couple years, so maybe I should just start hopping on the Bowden bandwagon soon. UCLA won't have much better seasons than this with the seniors that are leaving, especially Olsen and Lewis. But I've gone a bit off-topic; this is about Texas, not about UCLA.

I personally think Texas stays in the top 5 next year, with USC maybe staying at least ranked, but not top 5. There are a lot of people leaving that team, and the rest of the Pac-10 is only getting better, especially teams like Oregon, Arizona State, and UCLA (if they can get past the losses on offense). Texas will have tougher competition next year in their conference as well, but if Vince Young stays, that'll make the difference. I think some of the teams from up north, like Michigan (where I feel Chad Henne could become the next Leinart if Michigan's offense gets any better) could challenge the top 5, and then of course there's Notre Dame and Ohio State who'll be up there as well..

Good game. Going for it on fourth down from midfield was a huge mistake, I thought, as USC had more than enough room to get off a good punt without even sniffing a touchback. I get the "go for the kill" mentality on the 4th and 2, but to try it without Bush even on the field was stupid. Texas had been focusing on containing him much of the night, and I think even a split backfield would have given USC the distraction they needed to get White that extra yard. After that, game over.

Vince Young was astonishing, but I don't think this loss does anything to Reggie Bush's draft status. NFL guys don't give a shit about one game in which he averaged a mere 6.5 yards per carry and broke an astonishing touchdown run to the short side of the field.

Replay tonight was, as mentioned by many others, poorly executed, chosen for very clear plays and not used for plays where it actually would have reversed a bad call. There was no rhyme or reason to it. It was the absolute flip side of last night's game, which was the best use of replay I've ever seen--checking plays during TV time outs, as other plays develop, and not taking longer than 30 or so seconds to make a confirmation.

Of course, I'm probably going to be accepted into FSU in a couple years

Not a very good school and there are more attractive women at other southern universities. Unless you're getting in on Bright Futures or Florida pre-paid (which, since you're in Miami, is very possible), aim higher. For free, that or UF are great.

Where's that fat SOB Mark May that was so smug in his support of USC this season? I want to see what he has to say.

I really hope they have him with Holtz one more time this year so Lou can embarass him again.

Edited by therealworldschampion

Oh, I'm a Saints fan. Matt will learn a lot about humility if that is where he ends up. I noticed ESPN playing up him possibility pulling an 'Eli' the other day.

ESPN is so full of shit, I swear. Leinart's aware that even though he may not want to go there, he also realizes that he'd like to be THE guy to try to bring something back to New Orleans.