TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Red Baron

It Was 1 Year Ago Today

Dimebag Darrel was a guitarist and metal revolutionary only for the fact (the only one i need to justify my argument) that Pantera became such a well known and respected metal band despite having next to no mainstream appeal, something the fucking Beatles were all about.

Far Beyond Driven debuted at number one on Billboard, and they have sold millions of albums worldwide.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
Dime a dozen guitarist of a washed up metal band. It really was no big loss. I will always treasure my nostalgia for the first 3 albums from the 90's, however.

Completely agreed. He died in a really cool way, too, so I don't see why the fans got so worked up.

having next to no mainstream appeal, something the fucking Beatles were all about.

Yeah, that's why the Beatles didn't change their sound too much, since it was working so well. They basically just did variations of "I Wanna Hold Your hand" for most of their career.

Shit-For-Brains.

I'm a huge Pantera fan and I know that anything having to do with the Beatles would be more significant then anything having to do with Pantera/ Dimebag.

I mean, the Beatles are one of the greatest bands in history. Pantera is just a metal band that ran a long time, put out some (somewhat) revolutionary music by combining elemtns from other rock. metal styles, and did a lot without much mainstream recognition. The Beatles redefined music with every album they put out.

The comparison is just not there.

I'm a huge Pantera fan and I know that anything having to do with the Beatles would be more significant then anything having to do with Pantera/ Dimebag.

The comparison is just not there.

Looking through the thread, no one has argued that Pantera (or Dimebag) are comparable to The Beatles (or John Lennon) as far as signifacance or impact is concerned.

are you saying some fucker from pantara had more hardcore bands than the fuckign leader of the motherfucking BEATLES? the biggest rock band of all-fucking-time? more hardcore fans than the BEATLES? have you ever heard of the BEATLES? or what the BEATLES did? THE BEATLES.

I think the only true argument that has any merit is that a larger percentage of Dime's fans were more hardcore than Lennon's. Like, say, 85% of Dime's fans worshipped him, whereas, say, 65% of Lennon's fan were ready to kill for him.

And I'm not saying that's because Dime reached people on a higher level than Lennon did, I'm saying it's because of the size of the fanbase. When your fanbase is huge, as Lennon's was, you're going to have much more fans that are just casual fans than you are "OMG I WOULD KILL FOR YOU" fans. Smaller fanbases tend to be more diehard and hardcore than larger ones.

Dimebag Darrel was a guitarist and metal revolutionary only for the fact (the only one i need to justify my argument) that Pantera became such a well known and respected metal band despite having next to no mainstream appeal, something the fucking Beatles were all about.

Far Beyond Driven debuted at number one on Billboard, and they have sold millions of albums worldwide.

While still not being a mainstream-focused band. Which is my whole point.

Why did you even respond?

And Special K, why the hell do you think the Beatles made songs like that when they started out? So what if they changed later on, their original purpose was the same.

Edited by mister foozel

Or because they wanted to play songs similar to the kind they loved at the time. As they grew older, they wanted to try more and more new stuff, and ended up revolutionizing the music industry like no other act could ever possibly dream of.

You know, I'm with you in the argument that a higher percentage of Dime's fans were more hardcore than a certain percentage of Lennon's, but saying The Beatles were all about being mainstream is bullshit.

I'll reiterate what I said on page one ...

If people are saying "it's been 25 years since DBD was killed" in 24 years, I'll agree that the fans passion about him is comparable to Lennon's. But I don't think that I have to worry about it.

Fans being passionate about a band go way beyond "I'd kill for them". And the fact that the Beatles recently had a #1 album, along with still maintaining a huge memorabilia market, leads me to believe that their fandom is every bit as passionate as the Pantera fans were/are.

Lastly, I have a hard time agreeing with the statements that DBD revolutionized music ... he might have helped spearhead some changes in the metal genre, but it didn't effect anyone outside of that fanbase.

...who said Dime revolutionized music? I said he was one of the only guitarists to do something new in the last 20 years, and that's because of his innovation of the power-groove (which nearly every heavy band uses today).

So, basically, Dime is on the same level as Eddie Van Halen (two-finger tapping), Jimi Hendrix (wah-wah and heavy distortion), and perhaps even Clapton (though I'm flat-out admitting that this is likely a stretch).

Okay...now tab out the solo.

And I put Dime in the same league as Hendrix and Van Halen in the sense of impact on the way guitar is played. Hendrix made use of the wah-wah and heavy distortion extremely popular (IMO, he did more for the use of heavy distortion than Sabbath did), and Van Halen brought two-finger tapping to the forefront of guitar solo's. How many guitar solo's since Van Halen broke big HAVEN'T used two-finger tapping?

And Dime innovated the power-groove. Although very simple, it's amazing how few bands before Pantera used it, as it brings the heaviness that metal fans adore with a certain groove to get even non-metal fans into at least the guitar work. He basically combined elements of Sabbath and ZZ Top into one way of playing the guitar, which is something so few bands had done before him (well...there is that whole Exhorder history regarding Pantera going from glam to heavy-as-sin, but that's neither here nor there).

Oh, and Tack? The proper tab is this:

0---0h1b--0--0h1b--0--0h1b--0

Etc. etc.

Okay...now tab out the solo.

Well I'm lazy right now, so I just googled the solo. To my eyes it just looks like basic scaling that eleventy billion other people have done. Nothing too interesting or innovative.

And I put Dime in the same league as Hendrix and Van Halen in the sense of impact on the way guitar is played. Hendrix made use of the wah-wah and heavy distortion extremely popular (IMO, he did more for the use of heavy distortion than Sabbath did), and Van Halen brought two-finger tapping to the forefront of guitar solo's. How many guitar solo's since Van Halen broke big HAVEN'T used two-finger tapping?

Basically these men are idolized because they simply added a new special effect to their Blues/Rock guitar style? It seems to me analogous to an average Hollywood movie suddenly becoming great because a 200 million dollar special effects budget was given. Influencing a million people means nothing the next generation doesn't improve the design.

But the fact that more people took Dime's style and than did, say, the styles of Hetfield or King or Mustaine, or any other of Dime's peers in the late 80's, has to say something.

thanks for adding that tab man, thats a rad song, we need a tablatures Pantera subforum...

I agree on the beatles being radass on the Mcartney & Lennen Solo albums ( Jet and Imagine are rad, and for the record A Perfect Circle's dark cover of Imagine is rad)