TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dangerous A

TNA iMPACT Rating for Christmas Eve

From Observer...

TNA drew a 0.9 rating on Christmas Eve. I'd be heavily celebrating that one.

I am shocked at this one. I didn't think it would drop, but being Xmas Eve, I did expect some drop.

Guest Leelee

Note to TNA:

People want more Christian. His money promo even made me want to keep watching your jobber-filled pointless weekly show. Do not put him under those 2 WCW has-beens, like you are going to.

You know...I may be the biggest, blindest most loyal TNA fan around here...

And I have to say that I just plain don't like Impact.

They need another hour so bad it isn't even funny.

The 2 hour special they put on...that's more along the lines of what will help them get a TV audience. The 1 hour show is so frantic and fast paced (not in a good way) that nothing ends of meaning anything.

Now...their ppvs I love. But I've never been a fan of what they've done on TV (either on FSN or Spike) save for that 2 hour special...and even that was just because of the good matches. That didn't have storyline of character development either come to think of it.

I did like the Team 3D funeral sketch. And I've enjoyed some of the Christian/Monty promos and actually heel AMW for some reason...so I don't think that it's a question of whether they can write some good TV. They just don't have the time to do it.

And thusly their best angles (Samoa Joe killing Daniels leaps to mind) happen on the ppvs...and they just reference back to them on TV. If the product on TV was more like it is on PPV (and they have enough talent to have that work) I think it would be more successful.

Well, it seems that TNA was rewarded for a good overall show. The Christain Promo, and Main Event Match with Harris were pretty good, and helped to get "The War" over more (though I'm hoping that the faces Prevail on New Year's though)

Not to mention that Chris Daniels had a really kickass promo, which is selling me on Final Destination as we speak.

Even 4LK seems to be going somewhere (down the crapper), and that's good, even if alot of us don't want to see the storyline.

My only problem with the show, and is going to be a problem for as long as TNA iMPACT is going to be 1 Hour, is the focus of the show. This week was definetely a character development week, with not much wrestling. Next week is probably going to be the opposite. A 2 Hour show means that TNA could become very kickass every week in a hurry. I just hope Spike gives TNA its shot in 2006.

Guest Leelee

Explain how 2 hours would help Impact.

Sure, some of their promos could use more time. Hell, maybe they would bother telling us something about the X-Division guys so we can tell tham apart.

But, would it make the matches better?

So, instead of having 3 squash matches a week, with maybe 1 somewhat interesting one... they'll have 7 squash matches?

If TNA doesn't feel the urgency to ever put remotely interesting matches on Impact now... it can only be worse if they have to fill 2 hours.

The problem with Impact is that they are trying to do 4 angles during one match. Because that's all they have time for.

With twice as much time...they could have less things going on and not only would the matches be better (if only for that simple reason) but the actions would have more (pardon the pun) impact.

The problem with Impact is that they are trying to do 4 angles during one match. Because that's all they have time for.

With twice as much time...they could have less things going on and not only would the matches be better (if only for that simple reason) but the actions would have more (pardon the pun) impact.

Totally in agreement there with ya. Most of the matches are pretty quick, also, and since Brown/Jarrett they really havent had a main event of significance. Making it two hours could build a decent main event week to week, much like Raw/Smackdown attempts to do most weeks.

Plus of course, if you do 2 hours a week, you can actually (*gasp*) have most, if not all, of your roster on every week in some substantial role, be it cutting a promo, working a match, etc.

----

Forgot to mention how shocked I am to see that rating this week. I thought, for sure, it would be down somewhat because of the holiday. Plus, to be honest, I didnt think the show this week was that good at all really. Roode v. Christian as the main event didnt grab me one bit.

Best explanation I've heard is that because it was Xmas Eve, most people are home, yet by 11pm, most get togethers are over by then.

By comparison, the New Year's Eve rating will probrably be bad because by design, most people are out and about partying or not thinking of watching a specific TV show.

RedJed, I think you meant Christian vs Chris Harris.

Anyway, very surprised by the .9, but very happy as well for TNA. More time for TNA would be a good thing. Just too many things going on right now but not everything gets addressed each show like it should be.

Totally in agreement there with ya. Most of the matches are pretty quick, also, and since Brown/Jarrett they really havent had a main event of significance. Making it two hours could build a decent main event week to week, much like Raw/Smackdown attempts to do most weeks.

Is Monty really Main Event material?

I'm not second guessing you, I just don't watch enough TNA to know.

I'm not second guessing you, I just don't watch enough TNA to know.

No, he isn't. He would have been over enough with his charisma to overcome his flaws late last year or early this year, but he was so badly booked that it took away that edge. He had a terrible match with Jeff Hardy at Genesis which totally exposed how bad he really is. Facing Hardy didn't help, but it was still made painfully obvious that Brown isn't at the level a main event guy should be, and not just in ring ability. I'm thinking that was why he put over Christian at Turning Point; it was a way to pull back on his push in a way that didn't harm him one bit. Of course, being turned into a lackey for Jarrett, along with half the roster, hasn't helped him. Monty could still be a monster babyface/heel to build around, but that time is a long way off.

At the time the match happened, the general consensus was that TNA was blowing a PPV-level ME wad on Impact, so I'd say yes he is (or was).

That's about right. And most definately he was. I thought they still could do something with him here recently, but the last two ppvs have shown they need to pull back a bit on him for now, but I think it's still not a bad idea to long term build him for a title run. That is if he can survive this rehash of being aligned with Jarrett.

I thought they still could do something with him here recently, but the last two ppvs have shown they need to pull back a bit on him for now, but I think it's still not a bad idea to long term build him for a title run.

I thought they could have done something with him too. They'd even found a way to make sense of Dusty's nonsensical heel turn, until they followed up with a nonsensical "re-turn" of their own. It was almost like when fans first started cheering the Rock, despite him never turning face, and then WWE had to do a heel turn for someone who really never stopped being a heel. That's exactly what Monty's handshake with Jarrett last week seemed like to me. It ran totally contrary to the storyline of Monty stalking Jarrett, which I think was compelling and could have built to a big match between them. Monty's character is perfect to be the hunter, and being hunted should have been what was revealed eventually to be causing Jarrett's paranoia....even if initial he thought it was the newcomers.

But anyway, having not seen Genesis, I can't comment on the Hardy match, but I ordered a Turning Point replay over the weekend and I was entertained by his match with Christian. I could be in the majority, but to me, while it was no Joe/Styles, it was a fine PPV match. Even knowing who won, I was very into the match (going in it was the one I was looking forward most I think), so I'm sure I would have been on the edge of my seat if I didn't know Christian was going over.

Guest Coffey

Ya know, even if it was Christmas eve, I wouldn't be celebrating a .9. That just means that the same people that watch every week watched again. They've never broke .9. Yeah, I guess it didn't go down, so that's a good thing. It didn't go up either. Certainly nothing to celebrate over. What was the rating for AM Raw on Christmas Eve during the period when everyone is opening presents and not at home and shit?

Is Monty Brown a main event player? Well, he has the look for it. That's about it. In-ring, he's not very good and lost a lot of the time. His character is so ridiculously over-the-top, I don't know... It's just too cartoony for me in this day and age. We won't even talk about the Pounce. You either like it or hate it. Monty should change where the Serengeti is at every week. One week is can be the ring, the next week is can be the parking lot, then the week after that it can be the backstage area. It'd be comedy seeing Monty just lurking around in random places. Pouncing people onto cars and through walls and shit. That's what I'd do with Monty. His shit is so absurdly comical, I'd turn him into a comedy character ala WWE booking. It'd probably get him more over if not for the sheer ridiculousness of it. Of course, that's pretty much why the Pounce and his character are over to being with. You don't think it'd be funny to show a backstage skit of someone walking into the arena with their bags and as soon as they walk into the room, they get the Pounce through a wall and Monty welcomes them to the Serengeti? Make Monty do it to heels and faces. One week Jarrett gets the Pounce. The next week Christian gets the Pounce. Move it around so you don't know when it's coming. Simon Diamond, Chris Harris, Shark Boy, just mix that shit up. One week the Serengeti could be at a bank and Monty could Pounce someone cashing their check. Yeah, that's the ticket!

I'm thinking if TNA had a two hour show, they wouldn't need squash matches anymore. They'd have the time that they need to get their talent over in way other than X wrestler squashes Y wrestler in one minute. Of course, I could be wrong. Maybe they would have seven squash matches per show. iMPACT! still comes off like WCW Worldwide. Everything about it. The crowd, the arena, the commentators. It's just all so bush league.

"Bush league" to me is shitty production, apathetic fans, and a bad product overall. The announcing is fine to me. So with that said, I dont think TNA comes off bush league at all. The Orlando setting is fine, as the arena is maybe small, but it still looks really good on TV and they have started to really make use of it's settings as brawls are starting to go all over the arena at times. BUT the problem with the Orlando setting is that it's monotonous. So if anything, the product suffers some just because they stick in Orlando all the time. That does get boring.

Also, just because they got a .9, it might mean they did get a record viewership as you'd have to break down that number more to find out. Not making excuses in the least but cmon, even keeping their same number on a holiday is strong anyway you slice it. Moving that rating will take time and they have to be patient and keep working on improving the product, and more importantly, as people have stated here, promoting themselves here and there with various advertising mediums and such to get people to even KNOW they are on Spike.

"Bush league" to me is shitty production, apathetic fans, and a bad product overall. The announcing is fine to me. So with that said, I dont think TNA comes off bush league at all. The Orlando setting is fine, as the arena is maybe small, but it still looks really good on TV and they have started to really make use of it's settings as brawls are starting to go all over the arena at times. BUT the problem with the Orlando setting is that it's monotonous. So if anything, the product suffers some just because they stick in Orlando all the time. That does get boring.

Also, just because they got a .9, it might mean they did get a record viewership as you'd have to break down that number more to find out. Not making excuses in the least but cmon, even keeping their same number on a holiday is strong anyway you slice it. Moving that rating will take time and they have to be patient and keep working on improving the product, and more importantly, as people have stated here, promoting themselves here and there with various advertising mediums and such to get people to even KNOW they are on Spike.

Good point. They need to move around to some different places. At least to show that they can. That might take a bit of the edge off the bush league stigma.

Bush league to me is that first two weeks when TNA moved into the "Asylum". The lights were dim and everything looked thrown together right there. At least Impact now has what Worldwide didn't have...PYRO!

I dunno about making Brown a comedy guy...but the idea of a sudden pounce into a car is hilarious. A la Kanyon Kutter.

From Observer...

I am shocked at this one. I didn't think it would drop, but being Xmas Eve, I did expect some drop.

If this rating was based on audience share, its possible to get a higher rating with the same number of viewers if less people are home watching TV overall.

From Observer...

If this rating was based on audience share, its possible to get a higher rating with the same number of viewers if less people are home watching TV overall.

It wasn't.