TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Art Sandusky

June 2002 in the new WWE:

http://www.youtube.com/watch.php?v=DuWAwtdWUoY&search=WWE

If that link works, it's a link to the Rock's return to Raw to make the "this is my home and if you don't want to be here, then leave" speech after Austin walked out. He really said WWE was his home and in his blood and all that, but then he was already gone after doing the job of putting over Lesnar. Now he barely mentions wrestling and is very distant from the business as a whole. Of course, he's pulling down more money with less stress on his body and an easier schedule, but us wrestling fans (admit it) feel kinda jealous about him. I know I do anyway. At the time he faced Hogan at Wrestlemania XVIII he was in top form, both in-ring and on the microphone, and even if he was starting to get a little out of hand when talking he was still able to make his opponent look strong and credible. So let's say the guy actually lives up to his promise and we have Rock with the company through, say, Wrestlemania XX. Think about how much was in flux during the middle of 2002, as the roster split and injuries and departures were all going on at once over the summer before the co-owners idea was dropped in favor of general managers. Fortunately they stuck with that approach, which was followed by a comparative renaissance on Smackdown during the fall and winter while Raw had HHH, and lots of 'im. We all know this crap.

But what would the realistic effects have been of The Rock sticking around after SummerSlam 2002, back on Smackdown, as he was drafted onto the show originally? Maybe Hogan would have stuck around to job to Lesnar since Lesnar and Rock would have probably continued their program into the fall. So what about the Smackdown Six? Do they even get the airtime to put on all those crazy-ass matches? I think it would have ended up like early-to-mid 2000 was, with a load of strong contenders underneath an extremely good champion in Lesnar and three other main-eventers in Benoit, Angle, and Undertaker. Rock's job would have to be to move back to the upper-midcard like in the fall of 1999 to keep that pool of solid contenders and midcarders going, which would help the eventual US Title and Smackdown Tag Titles flourish.

Just some thoughts I had while watching this. Anyone else feel the same?

*blinks*

I just want Rock to wrestle again. No one is as entertaining as him, save for Austin or Foley. Anytime one of those three is on tv, I know I'll be entertained.

Batista's not bad entertainment wise either. He plays a good Diesel.

Theres really no way to guess for sure how things would have changed for WWE in 2002 if Rock wouldve stayed around, since the company was obviously aiming to get built around Brock. I'm holding onto the hope that one day we get to see The Rock take on HBK. They are both such dramatic sellers, that it would make the match that more entertaining. After seeing over there years how Rock oversold the Stunner, and how HBK oversold Hogan's big boot at Summerslam, it would be a sight to see with both of these guys overselling eachothers moves.

Weirder things have happen, but The Rock has said he has no interest working with HBK. The Rock really doesn't like him.

Yeah, its' too bad Rock left when he did, because he was _really_ good in the ring by that point. I especially liked his heel character he was doing around that time (or was that the year after? I forget). Basically, yeah, it would be nice if he'd come back, but I'd only want it if it's going to be a semi-permanent basis. I don't see the point in him coming back for one interview on RAW or one random match at WM. It'll only take attention away from guys who actually need to be built up, who will be wrestling for WWE in the future.

Rock would do a lot to help Smackdown, the only problem is they don't have a heel who could be a credible opponent for him.

I think Rock/JBL or Rock/Orton would both be great feuds. Or they could always turn Benoit, I've always found him more entertaining as a heel. I'm probably in the minority on that, though.

I think Rock/JBL or Rock/Orton would both be great feuds. Or they could always turn Benoit, I've always found him more entertaining as a heel. I'm probably in the minority on that, though.

Rock/Benoit already happened for the WWF Title before back in 2000, didn't it?

The Rock leaving the company is why WWE is in a rut for the last couple of years. He's just the most entertaining wrestler alive. I LOVED his Heel character, it was so natural and just awesome. He could make his opponent look strong yet he looked credible as well. He was a great wrestler, great Main Eventer, great guy in general. He could have had so many great feuds, with Batista, Orton, JBL, Christian, the list goes on. He would have made Orton look good. I found a cool The Rock clip on YouTube when he was a Heel in 2003:

http://www.youtube.com/w/The-Rock-disses-C...arch=The%20Rock