TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jonathon

Ultimate Avengers...

Obviously based on "The Ultimates", it looks a LOT like the poor and short-lived Avengers cartoon from 1999.

Yes, it looks terrible. Probably a failed pilot no cable channel wanted to touch.

Blech.

There's no way they were even going to come close to the quality of art seen in the Ultimates, but they could have tried to emulate the look a LITTLE. Thor doesn't look a bit like a hippy.

I don't know how much they spent on this, but you think they could have made something that looks even a fifth as good as Samurai Champloo. Apparently not.

they should have gone big budget CG animation, PIxar or one of the other companies. Market it right I think you would get TONS and TONS of kids into the theater to see captain america, iron man, the hulk, thor, etc.

The voices do sound too teenager-like, but the animation doesn't look that bad IMO. From the very beginning they said it was being done by the same guys that do X-Men Evolution so the style doesn't come as a surprise. If the story itself is strong then it should be decent, and since it's based on the Ultimates comics then I think it has a good chance.

If they changed the voices to teenagers, and the animation looks like X-Men Evolution, how faithful do you think it's going to be to the comic? I think the Hulk rampage might be toned down juuuust a little bit.

Sure, I don't think the Hulk is gonna go around eating people and looking for Freedie Prinze jr. to kick his ass, or Iron Man having drink after drink and announcing he has a brain tumor. Still, some scenes seem taken right out of the comic, like Hulk lunging at Giant Man and stuff like that. I read an article on Wizard magazine and they had some scenes taken from the movie side by side with comic book panels and they looked faithful. Also I don't expect Bryan Hitch's art style on the movie either. I'm refering mostly to the basic plot and storyline of the Ultimates. That can be easily adapted I think, but don't expect a 2 hour movie to include every little detail of a 12 issue mini-series.

I expect an hour of Cap throwing his shield and Black Widow slowly walking forward and firing pistols as fast as she can, but that's just the preview.

And dammit, Hulk should be eatting people.

What I like:

The Animation - I actually liked the style in X-Men Evolution & Batman: TAS which is used here as well. It certainly allows for a lot better movement in the drawings. I can't stand the animation in the old 90s X-Men series which is more detailed, but stiff and rigid.

The PG-13 Rating - It won't be completely sanitized.

What I don't like:

The Voices - They sound way too young for these characters. They are not supposed to be in their late teens, early 20s like Spider-Man & The X-Men.

The Dialogue - Ugh...

I expect an hour of Cap throwing his shield and Black Widow slowly walking forward and firing pistols as fast as she can, but that's just the preview.

And dammit, Hulk should be eatting people.

Hah. I was thinking that. Cap throwing his shield took up 90% of the trailer. I didn't even notice him doing it in the comics at all.

I thought Avengers was worse than Batman & Robin, actually, though they're both in my bottom five, easily. Either way they're both undeniably terrible, and Uma better thank God that Tarantino's in love with her, otherwise her career would be TU.

I saw Speed 2 on its opening night with a bunch of friends. I couldn't believe how bad it was. I also saw Anaconda under the same circumstances. These are only a couple of the reasons I prefer going to see movies by myself.

The makers of The Avengers movie should be shot for tarnishing the original series.

Uma looked hot in both movies, shitty as they are. I love Uma.

I thought Uma looked rather messed-up in "Batman and Robin".

Back to the topic at hand...every once in a while, a movie is better than a trailer makes it out to be. I doubt this is one of those times, however.

Uma looked hot in both movies, shitty as they are. I love Uma.

I thought Uma looked rather messed-up in "Batman and Robin".

Sure, she looked messy when she was plain Dr. Ivy, but when she transformed into Poison Ivy she looked smoking hot.