TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Vitamin X

Question about CPU sockets and mobos

Guest Vitamin X

So, I've decided to only semi-build myself a new PC, since basically what I really want is a new motherboard and case, both with more options than the limited Dell Dimension 3000 I have... I know, I know, but it was only $550 and I have a decent Dualcore 3.0Ghz Pentium 4 processor (with HT technology) and a nice little 15" LCD monitor so I can't complain.. too much.. well, so here's the thing. I'd really like to keep the aforementioned processor as well as find a motherboard that has at least one PCI slot (so I can keep my old shitty graphics card for now) but multiple PCI-E slots so I can put in different cards, like a better sound and NIC card, and obviously a better graphics card since they all use PCI-E now. The problem I have is I have absolutely no clue what type of socket my processor needs on the motherboard. Does anyone know of any way there is to determine that or if they would already know? Seems to me from searching around on the web that it's either a 478 or a Socket-T. It'd be nice if there was a way of determining what it is by looking at it, but I wouldn't know the difference.

Any help would be appreciated.

I am basically in the same boat, I want to put together a new pc. I tried to google some info on it. I have the socket 478 mobo, and from what I read(and I would love to be corrected as wrong on this) they are being phased out and don't/won't be able to do the pci-express vid cards. That's the little I've learned. If someone else would chime in, I also would like to know where to go socket wise for a new mobo.

Guest Vitamin X

Yeah I don't even know what socket my mobo has, that's what I'm trying to figure out.

Further confirmation that it's probably a Socket T:

There are only two PD's on Newegg (ironically, neither have HT, so you either have a wacky custom built Dell chip or you f'd up the specs a little bit), and both are Socket T. Either way, even if I'm wrong, Newegg's RMA policy is so awesome that you can send the board back for a refund if it's the wrong one.

Guest Vitamin X

Well surprise, surprise, I just contacted Dell and they told me it's an Intel Pentium 4 Prescott DT (3.0Ghz), and it IS a 478 pin (ZIF) processor.

Yeah, see, that's different from a Pentium D (which are the dual cores). If I were you, I'd scrap the idea of using it for a new build since you're going to end up spending a good amount of money finding cooling solutions for a Prescott, and since your options are somewhat limited by it being a 478 pin processor, I'd go for a new CPU.

If you INSIST on staying Intel, I believe there are some budget dual cores that will do the job, but I'd reccomend an AMD A64 X2 for dual core and a good ol' A64 3400+ for single core. Stay away from Prescott cores if at all possible.

One thing to be careful about, is that dell case may have a slightly different powersupply than new motherboards use. There are 20pin and 24 pin, and even in the 20 pin, dell, hp, compaq, etc I have seen times when the powersupplys won't power on @ all.

I would ditch the case, and more than likely, you can even put your current dell stuff in a new case. :)

Guest Vitamin X
If you INSIST on staying Intel, I believe there are some budget dual cores that will do the job, but I'd reccomend an AMD A64 X2 for dual core and a good ol' A64 3400+ for single core. Stay away from Prescott cores if at all possible.

You've mentioned to me before over PM that you think AMD is sooo much better than Intel. Why's that? Not attacking your opinion or anything, I'm just curious as to why I should possibly spend more money on an AMD..

Intel chips have a lot of problems, for one. The Intel Pentium D's, which are the dual core Intel solution, don't handle data very well and don't benchmark nearly as well as the AMD X2's, for example; people smarter than me speculate that Intel rushed them off the production line and didn't really do a very good job of integrating the two cores. Similarly, they rushed the Prescott cores off of the line as well and didn't take into account the fact that they run scorching hot and don't handle data very well. They typically underperform AMD chips by a large margin in benchmark tests, and AMD chips run a lot cooler.

Also, if you're looking to overclock (which, you very well may not be), AMD motherboards are typically geared towards it, whereas Intel boards typically aren't. That's not always the case, of course.

Price-wise, as well, you get more bang for the buck going AMD. Their chips are not as expensive (with the notable exception of the FX series) as Intel and typically outperform them. Intel seems to be behind in the technology race, especially with 64 bit processing and dual core capability (although the former won't be a factor until Vista comes out). I just think AMD is a better buy at this point in time.