TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewTS

Street Fighter Alpha Anthology

Fair enough, good point though.

Granted i may not know w great deal about the techincal stuff about games, just what i get told. but i know what i like, and i dont like 3d figters. and i like 2d fighters on the saturn and the cast.

I've always loved how people assume that if they can beat their friend/guy at work at a fighter, they know what they're talking about. There is at least a 99% chance, probably more than that, that your friends and coworkers are all bad at the fighters that they play. The reality is that you've almost certainly not seen either 2D or 3D fighters played at high level, so trying to make sweeping judgments about them is pretty silly.

Speaking of Evo, is anyone going? I was a little sad to see no SC3, but I'm still planning to go. Never been to Vegas; will be a fun vacation if nothing else.

That's very true. I played strangers at an arcade outside of town on SC2, and just basic use of 8WR and GIs were freaking this one guy out. I barely play any new fighters, but it was really sad. And I admit I know jack crap about most of the new fighters released in the last 4 years.

Like, double perfect with Seung Mina (I think) and I can barely remember most of her moves.

Guest Askewniverse
For starters, Resi 4 was better on the Cube.

That's a matter of opinion. The GameCube version may have slightly better graphics, but the PS2 version has more features.

Somehow I doubt you have experiance playing anyone good at Tekken.

I've had this said to me on many occasions. My friend at work, who claims the same things you do, challenged me to a fight on Tekken. I mashed the buttons and won. Wow, what great skill that required.

What does that prove? That friend may be the "best" out of your circle of friends, but that doesn't mean he's a good player.

Of course every console has crap games, just not on the scale of the PS2.

As compared to the Xbox and GameCube's scale of bad games? The PS2 has a larger library of games. You do the math.

Speaking of Evo, is anyone going? I was a little sad to see no SC3, but I'm still planning to go. Never been to Vegas; will be a fun vacation if nothing else.

I was thinking about it but last month I went to Texas for a week. Can't take another trip.

And yeah people have no clue. I really resent the lack of respect Tekken often gets. I hate how the press and random people on boards have decided to love VF and SC but still think Tekken is about 10 strings and multi throws.

Have you played Lili against anyone good yet? I found the idea of her being too good dies fast. Against someone that knows her flip stuff and can SW and break throws well she becomes very limited. I find her fun and her damage and crushes make her worth playing but I don't think she is nearly as good as she seems at first. She needs a better low and something to track, f+3 doesn't cut it.

But my point was that anyone with a pair of hands can be good at Tekken. You don't have to know all the moves and crap to be able to clear the game.

Things dont work that way in SF or KOF.

As compared to the Xbox and GameCube's scale of bad games? The PS2 has a larger library of games. You do the math.

But is there any need ot have THAT many games?

luke-o, two things:

There's no such thing as a frames per second system. No such thing. Period.

Two, Alpha 3 on Dreamcast is widely considered the worst version due to the fact that V-Ism shadows have different timing and basically fuck up every major combo, making it basically a different game.

But my point was that anyone with a pair of hands can be good at Tekken. You don't have to know all the moves and crap to be able to clear the game.

There's more to being good at Tekken than beating the computer. The computer sucks. The computer sucks in every fighting game, including SF and KOF. You don't have to know all the moves and crap to be able to beat KOF or SF. Everyone can beat these games. Nobody cares if you can easily beat the computer.

I gave up caring about the mainstream response to fighters I play because it just got too frustrating arguing with people that don't understand the games. Especially since I can never prove anything; they can always argue 'You can't know until you play me!' or some crap. And then if your argument is the least bit technical, they dismiss you as some sort of obsessive-compulsive nerd. Heaven forbid you actually understand the game you play. Eventually I was just like fuck it, whatever, how much fun I have playing Tekken isn't affected by whether some guy at EGM thinks Tekken takes skill. Not worth the effort to worry about it.

Still haven't really played anyone solid with Lili yet; my home arcade has the most garbage players in the world and I've been too busy with work to travel. I can see how she'd be limited, though; I use d/f+3+4 into mixups a lot and that seems like it'd be easy to deal with once you understood the gimmicks. And yeah, her lows are pretty bad. I use throws to make up for them, but against someone who was really good at breaking throws, I'd have a lot of trouble getting them to duck.

There's more to being good at Tekken than beating the computer. The computer sucks. The computer sucks in every fighting game, including SF and KOF. You don't have to know all the moves and crap to be able to beat KOF or SF. Everyone can beat these games. Nobody cares if you can easily beat the computer.

To prove this point, I once played through Clay Fighter blindfolded. I won.

Every fighter in every game has a pattern. One you learn the pattern, you can beat the game rather easily. Later incarnations of SF were better at hiding them, but you can still figure it out. The same goes for any other fighting game.

Every fighter in every game has a pattern. One you learn the pattern, you can beat the game rather easily. Later incarnations of SF were better at hiding them, but you can still figure it out. The same goes for any other fighting game.

I can't speak for other games, but in Street Fighter, part of the reason for the patterns is tradition. Ken does three dragon punches. E. Honda sweeps before a torpedo.

For the DC version of A3, Capcom created some ridiculously hard AI for players to beat, that doesn't follow patterns. The CPU is easy to beat because it's supposed to be. Capcom wants people to beat the game. Hard AI would discourage people from playing, and buying more SF games.

Guest InuYasha

I can't speak for other games, but in Street Fighter, part of the reason for the patterns is tradition. Ken does three dragon punches. E. Honda sweeps before a torpedo.

For the DC version of A3, Capcom created some ridiculously hard AI for players to beat, that doesn't follow patterns. The CPU is easy to beat because it's supposed to be. Capcom wants people to beat the game. Hard AI would discourage people from playing, and buying more SF games.

Agreed; the AI on SFIII on the X-Box compilation game is insanely hard, especially the boss. The AI on the SFII game on that one is so tweaked it's ridiculous. The computer pulls off moves that would have even the best players pulling their hair out.

The AI on Hyper is based on the arcade ST AI, which is very annoying. Feels like the damage doubles for them.

I've never played AI that is like fighting a human. "Smart" AI just means they block. Like in T5 the hardest setting will block all day, duck highs and break throws, the AI Kazuya even does electric. But they have no concept of actually playing the game. They don't set anything up, they don't punish, they don't poke, all they do is throw out random moves while having inhuman reflexes to block and duck. Then there's all the little tricks and weaknesses they have. With Julia you can b+2 to spin around them then get a free back throw. I've yet to find a human dumb enough to stand there and let that happen.

It amazing what can happen on a forum when you just post your state of prefrence...

"The PS2 sucks and can't do 2D fighters well" is not preference.

"I prefer playing (x and y fighters) on Saturn/Dreamcast" is.

To me, the Saturn control pad (the smaller, later version, not the beastly thing that shipped with the US one originally) is just better for 2D fighters than the Saturn pad, because the solid thumbpad, 6 button layout, etc.

Hardcore fighting gamers would tell me "OMG y, use a joystick!," but I'm terrible with a joystick. Doing those motions by rolling my thumb on a pad? AOK. Twirling a stick around and trying to slap the appropriate buttons? You may as well put me in a pair of boxing gloves. I just suck with them.

The days of it being taboo to admit to using a pad are over. A lot of people do now, especially for the 3D games.

Because the joysticks suck for the most part. People seem to forget that you are standing up when you use a joystick at an arcade.

Is SFAA or at least A3 going to be online capatible? (Probably not I'm guessing.)

Because the joysticks suck for the most part. People seem to forget that you are standing up when you use a joystick at an arcade.

This is very true, I got a mega drive arcade stick to play Street Fighter II, but went back to the pad.

And dont get me started on the Neo Joystick, sure its great, but fuckin hard to play when your sitting on the floor.

The days of it being taboo to admit to using a pad are over. A lot of people do now, especially for the 3D games.

And this is why I miss the 6 Face Button Interface on controllers. It's the main thing that made the Japanese Saturn Controller my favorite ever. The SF II ascii pads are also awesome as well for 2D fighters, and I recommend them to everyone who doesn't like joysticks.

So some people spoke with the senior producer on Alpha Anthologies.

Believe it or not, there are 2 versions of Alpha 3 on the disc. The PS1 broken version, and an arcade perfect version.

So I take back what I said.

So does this mean we'll actually get the PS1 home features but with better loading?

That'd be much better, at least.

A top notch version of Alpha 3 would make it definitely worthwhile.

So it's out in Asia and it seems like Capcom actually did some work this time.

There's 2 Alpha 2. Regular CPS2 Alpha 2 and Alpha 2 Gold arcade(SF Zero 2 Alpha). Plus you can unlock an arranged mode that has Cammy from the home ports.

2 versions of Alpha 3. Straight CPS2 Alpha 3 and a new arrange that is based on CPS2 A3 with the characters from Upper.

And an whole new game. Sort of. Hyper SF Alpha. It is based on Hyper SF II. It allows you to pick any version of any character against each other. So Alpha 1 Guy vs. Alpha 3 Rolento or whatever. There's new hidden ISMs too. SF III ism, Marvel ism, Darkstalkers ism, and CE ism. It's not really a complete game like Hyper SF II though. There are only a couple generic backgrounds and no full 1 player mode. I guess it's more like the bonus mode in SF Collection 2.

Guest InuYasha

Kind of like the Mega Man racing game from the Mega Man Anniversary Collection?

Kind of like the Mega Man racing game from the Mega Man Anniversary Collection?

No, people probably will enjoy playing this for more than 5 seconds.

Although I hope you don't have to unlock it like you did MMB&C or the crossover mode in SFC2.

Somewhere a ways back Tekken was mentioned.

This is the best series of fighting games, ever.

It requires actually learning different fighting styles that are madd complicated, and two player is so fucking ill.

Tekken 3, Tekken Tag Team, Mario Cart 64, Duke Nukem 64 and WWF No Mercy were the games me and all my brothers and boys would play.