TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
snuffbox

Bonnaroo 2006

The local Manchester paper posted the initial lineup on their website.

http://www.manchestertimes.com/news/entert...sp?idcategory=1

June 16-18, same place.

Radiohead; Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers; Elvis Costello & the Imposters;

Bonnie Raitt; Death Cab for Cutie; moe; Bright Eyes; The Neville Brothers;

Bela Fleck & the Flecktones;

Buddy Guy; Damian Marley; Ben Folds; Robert Randolph & the Family Band; Dr. John;

Matisyahu;

G. Love & Special Sauce; My Morning Jacket;

Ricky Skaggs & Kentucky Thunder; Steel Pulse;

Mike Gordon and Ramble; Dove; Cat Power; Medeski Martin & Wood; Nickel Creek; Gomez; Steve Earle; Blues Traveler; Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks; Dresden Dolls; Son Volt

; Clap Your Hands Say Yeah; Jerry Douglas; Soulive; Rusted Root; Devendra Banhart Band; Donavon Frankenreiter; Mike Doughty;

Sasha; Grace Potter & the Nocturnals; The Magic Numbers; Bill Frisell; Seu Jorge; Bettye LaVette; Dungen; Shooter Jennings; Rebirth Brass Band; Robinella; Andrew Bird; Steel Train; Jackie Greene; Devotchka; Wood Brothers; dios (malos); Toubab Krewe; Marah; I-Nine; Balkan Beat Box; and Cat Empire.

That beats Coachella.

I hope it doesnt sell out early...or Ill be using ebay in April.

Radiohead did manage to sellout Coachella in '04 (capacity of 50,000 I think) but also had the returning Pixies, Cure, and Kraftwerk to help. Bonnaroo will have an 80,000 cap but its going to be Radioheads only American fest this year and first tour of the States since I think '03.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Friend of mine went to Bonnaroo last year. Said the cops were insane, so I'll probably take a pass.

Hmmm...my satchel of pills and I were never bothered by piggies.

There were some arrests though. I think its just a matter of people not acting like retards. "Scuse me officer dude...want a hit of nitrous?"

Cops aren't insane, just don't do anything stupid until you get inside the festival grounds. And even then, don't get caught selling crack or nitrous or something.

It appears Phil Lesh & Friends are the third headliner. Beck will probably have a late-night set. Elvis & Imposters (with special guest Allen Toussant) may be an afternoon/evening main stage act.

Dresden Dolls will probably have their full stage show as well.

At the campground entrance last year (I cant speak for '04 as I hitchhiked/walked in) the only things they checked vehicles for before getting into camp was nitrous tanks and glass bottles. And if you had glass bottles (in our case, Grey Goose) they allowed it to be funneled into plastic and all was good.

The patdowns to Centeroo (where the music is) are really light.

Security is there mainly for safety purposes...theres reasons why Roo has a rep for being so laid back, and a lack of Gestapo is a big one. As BX said, just dont be stupid about what you bring and do.

I really want to try and go to this. Bela Fleck, Ben Folds, Tom Petty, Radiohead? God I need to be there. If I don't buy Chinese takeout from now til the end of the semester, let's see, $5 for General Tso's, x14, that's $70, plus Christmas money I didn't use, yeah I can pull the ticket off

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I thought the same thing in 04 and had a ball, though it was mostly a drug bender.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Besides, if you want to go, just sneak in. When I went, there were as many people without wristbands as ones that had them. A lot of folks were buying the leftover strip off of people, cutting it off, then attaching them together to make a phony one that's passable.

If I went again, I'd just sneak in and mug people for dope, probably.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Theoretically speaking, I mean really. How hard would it be just to pistolwhip someone for their ounce of mushrooms, or take a stun gun to the guy with the ounce of BC Buds behind some RV? To me, that'd be more honest than this scandalous fucker that ripped me off on some blotter.

Dude, there's gonna be 80,000 + people there. SOMEONE will be watching you at all times, even when you take a dump. Pistol whippings will not possible.

Not necessarily... I mean you basically set up in a shantytown of tents and cars. If you had the stealth of a ninja you could totally pull some of that shit off on the stragglers around noon when most everyone else is down at Centeroo.

The campground is never lacking for people. Theres always times when plenty of people are back near their tents cooking food, etc.

Theoretically, Agent is right...it can be done, and is just as bad as the fuckers that rip others off with bad acid, etc (someone innocent being hurt).

I dont think sneaking in is as possible as in '04 though. At the entrance they check to make sure everyone actually has a ticket (so you'd have to actually take the time to stowaway people really well) then at Centeroo they tug on the wristbands and actually look at 'em close now. One would have to come in through the woods and it just seems like too much work for me.

So, theoretically, these ideas are possible...but they seem to entail way too much effort...and as far as tazering people etc - you probably wouldnt have to worry about security, but if anyone saw it you'd end up being monkeystomped by several dudes.

And, Ive definitly never seen anyone at Roo with the 'stealth of a ninja'...its hot, maybe rainy, long, and people are usually totally fucked by the first night. Stealth of a Jackass is all most people end up with.

Czech and I have the same favorite Chinese food.

Any idea how long tickets will be available? Because I definitely cannot afford to buy one in a week. I also need to find someone to go with me.

I really want to try and go to this. Bela Fleck, Ben Folds, Tom Petty, Radiohead? God I need to be there. If I don't buy Chinese takeout from now til the end of the semester, let's see, $5 for General Tso's, x14, that's $70, plus Christmas money I didn't use, yeah I can pull the ticket off

Man, read that. Was I as giddy as a schoolgirl or what last night?

Ill make it three General Tsos marks on the board...

I think tickets might sellout faster than normal this year. Im in the same boat as Matt Young and cant buy for awhile...Ebay will have plenty up if it does sellout too quickly though. 80,000 tickets at 200 dollars a popis a lot to sellout...Im not too worried about finding one by the time I have the cash.

Ive been giddy as a little bitch since Tuesday night for this lineup, Czech.

If we all go, we should go eat Chinese together. I'd bond with snuffbox as a Packers fan, and Czech as a Bulls fan. Then we'd team up to fuck random girls in every orifice all at once. Yeah.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I lived off grilled cheese sandwiches when I went. The same guy in the campground traded me a 2 pound kebab for a joint, too.

Headlining order:

Friday - Radiohead

Sat - Tom Petty

Sun - Phil Lesh

This could be the only Bright Eyes show this year as well.