TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  

Winter Olympic Men's Hockey Thread

Am I missing where the Jagr hit was dirty? If you want to call it a charge and throw a 2 minute penalty, fine I can see that. But it wasn't Ruutu's fault Jagr had his head down, he did not throw an elbow, and he was not looking at Jagr's back. That is a quality hit, not a dirty hit.

If it was a young player who got leveled, they would probably be saying "well that's what happens when you have your head down, he'll learn".

Oh and WAR SUOMI!!!

Ruutu does shit like that every game, this should surprise nobody. Tucker and Avery are guys that pick their spots, with Ruutu it's a constant annoyance.

Why hasn't Montreal played Marc Streit much more often now.

That game showed he's going to be a great leader on the ice for the PP and the PK.

To comment on the game. This a reason why Quinn should not coach for Canada. He has no idea of putting lines together, and to motivate his team. Someone should mention that the Maple Leaf is RED not BLUE

I knew you would post this. I love it, he's won an Olympic gold and World Cup, but they lose a game where they get 49 shots and can't beat a hot goalie and he's a bad coach. I thought there was a stretch in there in the 2nd period where the team played like crap and couldn't seem to get out of the neutral zone, but other than that (aside from some stupid penalties) they played pretty well. Once they juggled the lines up after the 2nd Swiss goal, Gerber might as well have been the only Swiss guy on the ice, they just couldn't get it past him. Or, at least into the net.

Provided that Canada beats Finland tomorrow, it'll all be ok.

I really like the way the US played today, they just have to get a point from Sweden or Russia and they're in. Russia hasn't looked good, so I'm hoping that's where the point comes from.

After watching the footage again, Straka went apeshit on Ruutu after he hit Jagr. He basically lou thez pressed Ruutu, and the refs couldn't get him off Ruutu.

straka.jpg

That's what everyone does to Ruutu. He stands there yapping, glove punching people while the other dude has to stand there and take it. It's stupid. Avery does hit people in a dirty fashion, but he usually doesn't do that stuff.

I'm glad that someone stood up to Ruutu, he'll wind up getting hurt bad if he continues playing like this.

Why hasn't Montreal played Marc Streit much more often now.

That game showed he's going to be a great leader on the ice for the PP and the PK.

To comment on the game. This a reason why Quinn should not coach for Canada. He has no idea of putting lines together, and to motivate his team. Someone should mention that the Maple Leaf is RED not BLUE

I knew you would post this. I love it, he's won an Olympic gold and World Cup, but they lose a game where they get 49 shots and can't beat a hot goalie and he's a bad coach. I thought there was a stretch in there in the 2nd period where the team played like crap and couldn't seem to get out of the neutral zone, but other than that (aside from some stupid penalties) they played pretty well. Once they juggled the lines up after the 2nd Swiss goal, Gerber might as well have been the only Swiss guy on the ice, they just couldn't get it past him. Or, at least into the net.

I'd like a rundown of Quinn's coaching from someone who's not a Leafs fan or a Habs fan. Sorry to both of you.

There's gotta be more ice time for Streit when the NHL starts back up.

Also, Theodore out 6-8 weeks. This is really gonna be Huet's chance to shine.

Oh, YAY, a chance to talk about Quinn.

From what I've seen this season in Toronto, he's dealt with a lack of talent. Regardless, I don't think he knows how to fully utilize talent. Just look at what's happened with Sundin this year, I don't think he's good with setting up effective lines. I think now that he's coaching the Canadian team and dealing with this talent, that his experiences this season have caused him to be an ineffective leader for this team. I know that doesn't sound right, but I think that a lot of the guys he leaves on the ice cause the team to lose faith in his coaching ability. I don't think he knows what to do with all this talent at this point, and I think that the team would have been better served with a few of the players that didn't get picked. Quinn's a good coach, but I don't like him after the shit he pulled in LA a long time ago (for those that don't know, he took a job with Vancouver while in the playoffs with the Kings).

Of course, after saying all this, they'll win Gold or Silver, no doubt. They'll throttle Finland tomorrow, and if they don't, everyone should be freaking out.

From what I hear about Streit, he's a guy that will only excel on the big ice surface like DiPietro did against you guys. Lot's of people don't think he'll pan out, I think they're wrong.

Guest Rrrsh

Hey now, don't hate Ruutu. He isnt a ad irty hitter, he is just agressive. There is far dirtier, just none with the mouth of Roots

Guest Princess Leena

The silly Canuckians are biased against SUOMI now, also.

HEJA SUOMI!!! And the 2010 games should be in Helsinki.

Hehe, Ruutu dove. SUOMI! SUOMI! SUOMI! I love that.

1-0 SUOMI. Canada's looking brutal.

2-0. Ouch.

I'm so fucking fed up with the play of Chris Pronger in this tournament.

Anyways, Canada will lose this game, but what concerns me even more is we aren't getting ANY quality scoring chances, we are being outworked, and our players seem to just be going though the motions. If not for Luongo, this game could very easily be 3 or 4-0.

The only player that I'm suprised with is Kris Draper, I doubted him early on but he is really working hard. I'm very impressed with him.

And the first!

At least the US will play Finland in the quarters unless we get shelled by Russia and Latvia shells the Kazaks.

I wouldn't be mad about losing to them.

I can live with losing to them. I love their passion and team play.

Aki Berg looks like a star out there.

Finland looks like the team to beat in this tournament so far. They have the best line in the tournament (maybe the best line in modern Olympic hockey history), their team system is flawless, and they are getting solid goaltending from Nittymaki.

Speaking of not being able to buy a goal, Rick Nash. Man, he had the entire glove side wide ass open on that breakaway.

Much better 2nd period, but I think that we dug ourselves in to big a hole to get out of in the 3rd.

I'd start Luongo again for the Czech game, he was great in this game.

Tough loss, not the worst thing ever, but still a bad loss confidence wise. The fact that we are getting completely shut down offensively makes me very nervous for the medal round.