TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dpac

HDTV

Not sure if this belongs in this thread or not, but in Feb 09 when tv goes digital does that mean that anyone w/ a HDTV receive HD programming anytime a station airs something in HD basically rendering how many "HD channels" a cable/satellite company offers useless?

Yeah, I know that wasn't worded very well.

I don't know if I completely understood your question, but I'll point something out: The thing to remember is that most broadcast stations have already "gone digital." In February '09, the big event is that analog broadcasting is ending. Kind of a semantics thing, but important to keep in mind. I guess to put it another way, if you aren't currently getting a digital (HD or not) station, you are unlikely to suddenly get it in February '09.

Ok here is a question... I know that my local ABC station has gone digital and is broadcasting HDTV signals on channel 7.1. I have an HDTV. How would I go about picking up this signal? Do I need one of those huge HD antennas? Can I pick them up straight from my tv?

Guest Vitamin X

If you have an HDTV with built-in high-definition, then you can already pick up the HD signal by switching to channel 7.1. If you do not have built-in HD, you would need an HD Tuner which usually means a cable or satellite box, or if you're lucky and can find/afford an actual HD tuner (not an antenna, but a tuner- the antenna would only work with built-in HDTVs).

Directv is going to offer 1080P movies by the end of the year, but it doesn't look like current hardware is capable of getting it. They are also adding 30 more HD Channels on August 14th to bring the total to 130.

I would stick with VGA if your TV has the input so that you keep an HDMI input free for other devices. Both are capable of 1080P.

Thank you, sir, for answering the question before I asked it.

I just found out that using my HDMI output from my computer is silly because the computer I have only transmits video and not audio through the HDMI cable. Yeah, I know I could use external speakers instead of the ones built into the TV, but since my TV has a audio input coupled with the VGA input, I might as well use that. Plus, like you said, I'm freeing up my HDMI port for something that actually requires it. Of course, I don't really know what that other device might be...

If you haven't solved your component/HDMI question yet: my roommate's got a 360 and neither of us have noted any appreciable differences between how games look on component vs. HDMI. Maybe HDMI will be notably different when more games for the 360 have native 1080p support, but as of now there are only 2 or 3 crappy ones that fit the bill. I don't think the difference is worth a crappy MadCatz adapter at this point.

I just ordered the Samsung 46A550 the other day. I'm looking forward to staring lovingly into its haunting embrace.

If you haven't solved your component/HDMI question yet: my roommate's got a 360 and neither of us have noted any appreciable differences between how games look on component vs. HDMI. Maybe HDMI will be notably different when more games for the 360 have native 1080p support, but as of now there are only 2 or 3 crappy ones that fit the bill. I don't think the difference is worth a crappy MadCatz adapter at this point.

I just ordered the Samsung 46A550 the other day. I'm looking forward to staring lovingly into its haunting embrace.

I had mentioned this earlier, but my STB ran off DVI-HDMI, after a few weeks of component, and the only difference I noticed was less noise around text, on, say, a sports ticker.

I will re-iterate how much better having one cable instead of five is, especially given how often I unplug my 360 and bring it somewhere with me. I sold my old 360 when I came out west, on the grounds that when I move back east, I would buy a new one with HDMI out. It turns out my timing was perfect. I had saved the HDD from my old 360, so I was able to buy one of the few Arcade bundles left, which are becoming pretty rare.

Yeah, the single-cabling is really nice. I have a great old Onkyo receiver--like, 15-20 years old old--so I still have to deal with some extra cabling coming out of the DVD player, but cutting the number of wires or cable-ends you have to manage by 1/2 or 1/3 is still one of the better perks of the tech.

I had mentioned this earlier, but my STB ran off DVI-HDMI, after a few weeks of component, and the only difference I noticed was less noise around text, on, say, a sports ticker.

I will re-iterate how much better having one cable instead of five is, especially given how often I unplug my 360 and bring it somewhere with me. I sold my old 360 when I came out west, on the grounds that when I move back east, I would buy a new one with HDMI out. It turns out my timing was perfect. I had saved the HDD from my old 360, so I was able to buy one of the few Arcade bundles left, which are becoming pretty rare.

Thanks for the info from both of you.

Anyone here work for or are familiar with Dish Network programming? They have this new TurboHD service, with about 100 HD channels currently and 150 by the end of the year.

If I am reading the website promotions page correctly, then to get this package I would only be paying $10 then what I pay now, plus leasing the HD-DVR box but I pay a monthly fee to lease the SD-DVR box I do now so I am sure that $5 monthly charge is interchangable anyway.

I have the everything pak which is listed as $95/mo, and then the same package, packaged with the HD Turbo Gold channels basically say "for $10 more...." So I am assuming I would be adding 100 HD Channels for $10 which seems like a hell of a deal. I just need to inquire with the company to make sure I am reading the promotion right and that the " for only $10 more...." thing is not just a promotional price.

The 2008 Olympic Games begin on August 8 in Beijing, China. Bright House Networks is excited to offer extensive Olympic coverage on a variety of digital and HD channels, including NBC HD, Sports on Demand, and HD Showcase.

* NBC HD, Channel 713: Watch live coverage and commentary of the Olympic Games from Beijing in HD.

* Sports on Demand, Channel 611: View your favorite Olympic moments on Demand, channel 611. Historic and pre-games content will be available leading up to the Opening Ceremony of the 2008 Games.

* HD Showcase, Channel 797: Watch historic and pre-games Olympic coverage in true HD picture and sound as part of the HD Pack offered by Bright House Networks.

Cable coverage of the Olympic Games will also be offered on the following networks: NBC, USA, MSNBC, CNBC, Oxygen, Universal HD and MOJO. Additionally, Bright House Networks will be offering even more Olympics coverage on the following channels, available exclusively for the 2008 Olympic Games:

* Channel 715: Olympic Soccer in HD

* Channel 714: Olympic Basketball in HD

* Channel 717: Korean-language channel

* Channel 716: Mandarin-language channel

Woohoo's and high-5's all around for me.

thats sorta what Directv is doing

* Basketball and Soccer

* Special HD basketball and soccer channels during the Summer Games.

* Feeds will be live for 12 hours a day.

* Mandarin and Korean Language Channels

* Special Mandarin and Korean language channels covering the Summer Games.

* Feeds will be live for 6 hours a day.

* Korean feed: Ch.2085

* Chinese feed: Ch.2053

* USA (SD/HD)242/750

* CNBC (SD/HD)355/751

* MSNBC (SD Only)356/752

* Oxygen (SD Only)251/753

* Basketball (HD Only)NA/754

* Soccer (HD Only)NA/755

* Universal HD (HD Only)74, 259/756

* Mandarin Channel (SD Only)2053/NA

* Korean Channel (SD Only)2085/NA

So yeah I know these questions are getting redundunt, but I don't feel like searching the entire thread for an answer.

So I have an older HDTV, just a 1080i and only one HDMI input. I enquired about Dish Networks HD programming and it would only cost me $10 more a month for the gold package(they finally got back to me).

Now, since I only have one HDMI input and it is currently being used by my PS3, I could either a) buy an HDMI port from monoprice, or just hook up the Dish HD Box to the HD inputs(Component).

Now, when I get back my tax return in Spring of 2009 I am getting a new TV that will have multiple HDMI inputs, however if I decide to go ahead and get the Dish HD stuff NOW, what is my best option?

A) Go ahead and buy an HDMI port (HDMI is the best)

or

B) Just hook up the HD Dish Box to my Component hookups(which are labeled HD STream 1/2 on my TV)

Is there a debate which offers the better picture? Or is the debate over and HDMI is preferred merely because it carries picture & sound?

As you eluded to, it's probably moot when you get your new set, as nearly all have multiple HDMI ins.

As far as now? When I had my HD set, I ran the set-top box off component for a few weeks before I went to DVI-HDMI. I didn't notice a great improvement, with the exception of text being less noisy. (I watch a lot of sports tickers, although it was hardly earth-shattering). I'd say take the 100 bucks or so that you'd spend on an HDMI switcher (though I'm sure you could find one cheaper on Ebay), and pocket it.

For what it's worth, when I get my place back in a few weeks, I plan on getting an HD set again. I found a 3ft. HDMI on Ebay for a buck and a DVI-HDMI for five. That's awesome.

My stepdad and I have four times watched TV together since he got an HDTV. Each time, he's put a show on. Each time I've suggested putting it on in HD. Each time he's said "I paid for a full picture, that's what I'm getting. Why would you want to watch a small picture with those bars on the side?" Groan. I ranted about this in this very thread last March, and I bet it was nearly word for word.

What's the response time like on DLP typically?

I'm finding the set at my folks to be a bit laggy, specifically during ball games, but I can't tell if it's the TV or Rogers Sportsnet's production values.

I remember a couple of years ago, DLP was all the rage and was like the "new thing" in HDTV....lately it has basically fallen back into the pack.....

I saw a Sony 56" flat panel DLP 1080p advertised for $1499. Seems like a hell of a price.

Can someone here knowlegable on the subject list the pros and cons of the DLP technology for me and the rest of us? The only time I've really seen a DLP in action besides in a store was at a friend of a friend's house. It looked really good, but it seemed to have laggy-ness when changing channels and when you turned the tv power on it took a good minute seemingly to start up. Of course this was a couple of years ago when the technology was newer.

That pretty well answered it for me. Thanks!

To return the favour:

Pros: Fantastic contrast/colour reproduction, "bargain" in the sense that bigger sizes are cheaper than similar sized flat-panels. Though not flat, they're still fairly thin (my folks 61" is about eight inches deep), and they're certainly not as heavy as CRT of the same dimensions.

Cons: As we've discussed, laggy; response time seems to be an issue. Now that I think of it, Guitar Hero looked like it was being played through rabbit ears with so much noise. Additionally, the lamp life is not as long lasting as a flat panel (exponentially shorter in most cases), and DLP's are prone to what's called a "Rainbow Effect". I've never seen it in person, but I'm told it makes the colours blend together. Marvin could probably explain that one a little better.

I'm so disappointed with the lag on my folks DLP that I'm considering getting a Vizio plasma instead; The LCD's response time is decent at 6.5, but the 5 on the plasma sounds really good. As I often told customers who asked me, I fall asleep in front of the TV alot, which can't be good, but if the plasma has better response, better colour, and is 100 bucks cheaper, I may learn to be careful....

My biggest problem with DLP is the viewing angle. If your head is above or below the center (standing and playing a Wii game, or lying on the floor, for example) you'll get color distortion. If you're off to the side, you'll get even more, to the point that entire images can take on something approaching a photo-negative effect. I think most DLPs advertise about a 140 degree viewing angle, while LCDs and plasmas are in the 175-178 degree range.

If you're in a smaller room or have your setup arranged so you're always looking at the screen head on, DLP can be a good bargain for some extra size. If you have a large space or need to be able to see the screen from a lot of angles, you probably want to stick with a flat panel.

My biggest problem with DLP is the viewing angle. If your head is above or below the center (standing and playing a Wii game, or lying on the floor, for example) you'll get color distortion. If you're off to the side, you'll get even more, to the point that entire images can take on something approaching a photo-negative effect. I think most DLPs advertise about a 140 degree viewing angle, while LCDs and plasmas are in the 175-178 degree range.

If you're in a smaller room or have your setup arranged so you're always looking at the screen head on, DLP can be a good bargain for some extra size. If you have a large space or need to be able to see the screen from a lot of angles, you probably want to stick with a flat panel.

Is this with pretty much the DLP technology itself, or just 1st-gen DLP, older DLP?????

Is this with pretty much the DLP technology itself, or just 1st-gen DLP, older DLP?????

My folks' DLP was manufactured in 2007. I don't see it as unfair to blame the technology.

I noticed this when I was checking out the wall of sets at Circuit City a month ago, so I'd say it's a pretty standard thing. Just go to a place like that and see for yourself if you care about it or if it'll affect your setup. For me, it was a dealbreaker.

My stepdad and I have four times watched TV together since he got an HDTV. Each time, he's put a show on. Each time I've suggested putting it on in HD. Each time he's said "I paid for a full picture, that's what I'm getting. Why would you want to watch a small picture with those bars on the side?" Groan. I ranted about this in this very thread last March, and I bet it was nearly word for word.

That reminds me of how my parents tried to tell me they couldn't see the different between standard and hi-def, but they were comparing a digital cable channel to a HD channel broadcasting a SD program.

I decided it was time to upgrade my bedroom TV, so I bought a Sharp 19" LCD TV from work for just north of $200 when all was said and done last night. It's smaller than the TV I had (which was 21"), but the picture is so....well...sharp, I guess that it doesn't matter. Burnout Paradise in 1080i is something to behold.

Ok a couple of questions:

1) So networks are only broadcasting right now in either 720p or 1080i so not having a 1080p tv is not going to hurt anything as far as HD TELEVISION CHANNELS go, correct? How does the rare setting of 540p come into play? I have a Toshiba 46H84 and from everything I read it doesn't even work with 720p, the options are 1080i or 540p. How does 540p come into play here?

2) Was there any truth to the rumors that manufactuers were making tv models for Wal-Mart stores with cheaper internal parts that break down faster? I know that Wal Mart and Sams Club are the same, yet find it kind of odd that a couple of the same sets/models are $2-300 less at Wal Mart then they are at Sams Club.

Ok a couple of questions:

1) So networks are only broadcasting right now in either 720p or 1080i so not having a 1080p tv is not going to hurt anything as far as HD TELEVISION CHANNELS go, correct? How does the rare setting of 540p come into play? I have a Toshiba 46H84 and from everything I read it doesn't even work with 720p, the options are 1080i or 540p. How does 540p come into play here?

2) Was there any truth to the rumors that manufactuers were making tv models for Wal-Mart stores with cheaper internal parts that break down faster? I know that Wal Mart and Sams Club are the same, yet find it kind of odd that a couple of the same sets/models are $2-300 less at Wal Mart then they are at Sams Club.

1) I brought this up a few months ago and it was never quite answered, although it was more thinking aloud on my behalf. A buddy of mine said that TV's with a 1366x768 NR, by and large, had to render 1080i/p. As such, a TV with a 1920x1080 NR maintains the integrity of a 1080i broadcast as opposed to stretching it out. (Tantamount to comparing a Blu Ray disc to an upconverted DVD). As I also said when I brought it up, it struck me as a pretty neglible difference, to the point that "what I don't know won't hurt me".

I've never actually heard of 540p. I wonder, as SuperJerk and I pondered a few months ago, if it was being used as a comparison for 1080i. Additionally, I saw a TV on Future Shop's website a while back that boasted the ability to show images in 960p, which I've never heard of in practise, either.

2) Given the 5.5 years I spent in Connections/Electronics at Wal*Mart, I don't blame you for taking this with a grain of salt. I'm certain it's just a rumour. Even spending a brief period with a competitor, along with spending considerable time ordering product for Wal*mart, which included corresponding with our buyers and meetings with management, there was little difference in the invoicing costs from each supplier. I think the fair assessment of Wal*mart selling brands with inferior component kind of got blown out of proportion.

As for the differences in the same products in different stores, I never saw it first-hand, but I'm told our buyers were often pretty unethical with some suppliers, to the point of bullying.