TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dpac

HDTV

He had a dish on his house from before, but no longer subscribed to DirecTV. He pays a portion of my bill, and I let him use a couple of my boxes. You can take your boxes with you wherever you go, provided you have an adequate dish to hook them up to. Some people have them on RVs and boats. Neither of us have landline phones, so they can never dial in and see where the box is located. A landline phone is unnecessary for most of DirecTV's functions, anyway. I order PPVs online, and it is on the box immediately.

So I just bought a Sony KDL46Z4100 and I was trying to hook up my HD cable box to the TV with an hdmi cable. When I do I get this copyright error -- Your HDTV does not comply with HDCP (or something like that). Sure the Blu ray works with the hdmi cale to the TV, but not the box. So I google the exact error message and apparently it's a huge issue that people are having. Now, mind you these discussions are from 02, 05 and 06 that I found online. So I figure they have to have fixed it by now. I called the cable company and he says it's essentially a poor cale. I needed to spend $40+ on a better hdmi cable b/c mine was probably not made to comply with FCC regulations. But from what I understand, it's bad (old) technology on the cable box itself and we're at the mercy of the cable companies. Has any one else had this problem?

I'm not familiar with that code, but you should make sure your HDMI cable is v1.3a or v1.3b. Definitely do not pay $40 for it, though. I have no idea if that will fix your problem, but if your HDMI cable is not v1.3a or v1.3b, that might be the problem.

So I just bought a Sony KDL46Z4100 and I was trying to hook up my HD cable box to the TV with an hdmi cable. When I do I get this copyright error -- Your HDTV does not comply with HDCP (or something like that). Sure the Blu ray works with the hdmi cale to the TV, but not the box. So I google the exact error message and apparently it's a huge issue that people are having. Now, mind you these discussions are from 02, 05 and 06 that I found online. So I figure they have to have fixed it by now. I called the cable company and he says it's essentially a poor cale. I needed to spend $40+ on a better hdmi cable b/c mine was probably not made to comply with FCC regulations. But from what I understand, it's bad (old) technology on the cable box itself and we're at the mercy of the cable companies. Has any one else had this problem?

I haven't had this problem personally, but we actually have a press release from September at work to the same effect; I'll print it off and let you know over the next few days.

I found a 22 in VIZIO LCD 1080P at Costco yesterday for only $299, plus it came w/ a HDMI cable in the box. Yknow I grabbed it as I have seen 720Ps for more money that and smaller screens. I'ts awesome, but my problem is my SD cable box gets bars and a hum when I connect via S-Video or RCA, but not RF strangely. Now of course I'm gonna get an HD box and connect via HDMI but I hope it doesn't have the same problem. It's not the cables as I have Monster SVIDEO and audio set, plus every one of my old devices work fine via the svideo port. The TV dept manager at my job said it might be a ground loop prob , but to try the HD box first. I think it's the cable connection myself as the interference stops if I unscrew the coaxial cable from the digital cable box.

Any ideas what to do?

Guest Vitamin X

That's not a good price at all. 22 inches is a decent computer monitor these days, and my 19" monitor also doubles as an HDTV, which I picked up for $100 less than that. And yeah 1080p is pretty negligible at that size.

You're probably paying a little bit extra to have the 1080p resolution...which I don't know if that's a big deal at that small a screen size, like others have pointed out.

I would love to replace our 48" rear pro eventually with something that does 1080p (since we have a PS3 now), probably with something like a 42" flat panel, but I'm going to wait until the prices fall further. I don't see a point in paying a premium for a feature that is not _that_ much of a step up from 1080i/720p. I am amazed at how nice Bluray discs look at 1080i on our current TV though. I didn't think it would be that noticeable since we had an upconverting DVD player we were using, but the BDs are a definite step up.

You're probably paying a little bit extra to have the 1080p resolution...which I don't know if that's a big deal at that small a screen size, like others have pointed out.

I would love to replace our 48" rear pro eventually with something that does 1080p (since we have a PS3 now), probably with something like a 42" flat panel, but I'm going to wait until the prices fall further. I don't see a point in paying a premium for a feature that is not _that_ much of a step up from 1080i/720p. I am amazed at how nice Bluray discs look at 1080i on our current TV though. I didn't think it would be that noticeable since we had an upconverting DVD player we were using, but the BDs are a definite step up.

Yeah, I am in a similar position. I have a 1080i Toshiba 46", and my video games(PS3) and blu-rays look pretty amazing considering there is still one level higher(1080p) for them to look in terms of quality.

I probably wouldn't even be considering getting a new TV anytime soon, however I have one of those rare earlier models of HDTV that supports 1080i but not 720p, so I am fucked if I ever want to get Dishs HD Box, because any channel that broadcasts in 720p will be downconverted to standard def, and from my understanding, most channels are still 720p not 1080i. I called Dish and asked if their box would upconvert to 1080i, and they said no, so either the tech had no idea what he was talking about, or the only channels I would viewing in HD, are the ones that broadcast in 1080i.

As far as video games and DVDs/Blu Rays my TV is just fine.

I know 22 isn't that big but it's for my bedroom, plus I don't have that much cash right now. I was saying it was a deal to me as I have seen smaller 720p TVs at similar or higher prices so I jumped on it. All I know is it sure beats the tube set I was previously using to play my PS3 on ;) For now, it fit my budget and finally updated me to 2009 in at least a small way.

I know 22 isn't that big but it's for my bedroom, plus I don't have that much cash right now. I was saying it was a deal to me as I have seen smaller 720p TVs at similar or higher prices so I jumped on it. All I know is it sure beats the tube set I was previously using to play my PS3 on ;) For now, it fit my budget and finally updated me to 2009 in at least a small way.

You're trying to save money and you bought a MONSTER surge protector?

Buying anything by Monster is the tech equivalent of lighting your cigars with 100 dollar bills.

Buying anything by Monster is the tech equivalent of lighting your cigars with 100 dollar bills.

Only cuz I needed to get rid of the interference I was getting. Plus I got it at work with my employee dfiscount. Yea it was a neccessary evil I suppose , however I usually don't go for the Monster products.You don't have to tell me about stores pushing Monster products, I know all about it. Customers actually fall for it too,that's the sad part All in all ,it got rid of my problem so that's what matters. I just won't be buying any toys for awhile :P

Why did you spoiler that? Good pick. For my money, one of the better chipsets on the market, and ethernet connection if I'm not mistaken.

By the way, my seasonal term at Best Buy ended this weekend. So, to the guy who needed help with the HDCP compliance thing, I officially shit the bed. A buddy of mine is having the same problem now, however, so double whammy.

Why do people spoiler tag anything (not including spoilers)? Why do people make you scroll down for ages just to read one word? Why do people quote other people and add nothing else? These things must end, and under my rule as POTY 2009, they will, so vote for me!

On a more serious note, I quite enjoy this site / discussion forum - www.digitalhome.ca

It's a bit off putting that they have some expert advice telling you to watch 4:3 programming in 16:9, but they are right in the context of why they said it (preventing screen burn-in, which I became a victim of within 3 months of watching shows in their proper aspect ratio). Also lots of cable talk for Canadians. Complaining too!

Why did you spoiler that? Good pick. For my money, one of the better chipsets on the market, and ethernet connection if I'm not mistaken.

By the way, my seasonal term at Best Buy ended this weekend. So, to the guy who needed help with the HDCP compliance thing, I officially shit the bed. A buddy of

mine is having the same problem now, however, so double whammy.

The only problem I had with the BR player I got was that the BD Live compliance is tied to the fact that you have to buy a usb memory storage thing and put it into the back of the set (most compliant sets have the storage built in). I suppose at the price of storage these days, it was cheaper this way since I got 4 GB for $10 and most models with built in storage only have 1 GB and they all cost too much. I still havent messed with The Dark Knights BD live features yet though. WallE was absolutely amazing picture even on my smallish tv but Im getting Kung Fu Panda from Blockbuster soon and that was rated 100 over on AVS for video quality on Blu

Ray so that should look even better.

I was quite lucky in that the TV I have (5 years old..whoa) doesnt have a HDMI port, just stupid DVI, but it works with a HDMI-DVI adapter just fine. Most DVI only sets arent HDCP compliant.

I want a 1080p 40 inch tv with 120 HZ. I was at Circuit City before Christmas and was blown away by Iron Man via Blu-Ray on a 1080p set with 120hz of a larger size (probably was 50 or so). I can easily say it was 120 hz feature that made the picture look better because they had fed the same movie to a 1080p set without 120hz and it didnt nearly look as good. You can tell that the double framerate makes the picture much more crisp and fluid during heavy motion scenes. Blu Ray is also a huge benefit from 120 hz if the movie is 24fps since 24 is a multiple of 120, basically showing each frame 5 times instead of having to go through the 3:2 pulldown crap to eliminate the problem of showing 24fps at 60hz (also handles 30fps showing each frame 4 times instead of twice on a 60 hz tv..) I actually saw a couple 1080p 120 hz sets right before Christmas for under $1000 and wish I had had the extra cash to go for one then since I havent seen a decent one sub $1000 since.

It always seems like it's something new...I thought 1080p was the big thing to get, now you have to have not only 1080p, but 120hz. What is next? I really want to make sure my next TV is as future proof as possible (not that there really is such a thing with electronics these days).

I actually saw a couple 1080p 120 hz sets right before Christmas for under $1000 and wish I had had the extra cash to go for one then since I havent seen a decent one sub $1000 since.

This is my goal. Barring Pro*Line paying for it, I'd still like to keep it under 1000. I'm more focussed on getting out of debt and buying a house as my 2099 Xmas present to myself, but I envision caving and getting a TV for football season again.

My dad, who proudly knows nothing about this type of thing, had a similar conversation with me on Sunday. Despite all the great advances and new 'niche' technologies in TV, how many of us here would ultimately be disappointed in a TV that cost 750 compared to 1000, or something similar? With my seasonal employment at Best Buy consisting of watching TV for 40 hours a week, I noticed and appreciated a great difference in 720p to 1080p, or 60hz to 120hz, etc. But even with money not being an object (ie, from gambling well, or what have you), I can't imagine spending 1500 or 2000 (or higher!) on a set when I'd still be happy with a lesser model. Obviously, I'd like to have 1080p (well, that's probably become a must), and 120hz, but I'd also like a mortgage, a dishwasher, and Lasik. Keeping in mind that my living room's not going to any bigger than my previous one (wherein a 37" LCD was more than enough, and I'll keep my fingers crossed to see what Marvin quoted....if not? Oh well.

Only cuz I needed to get rid of the interference I was getting. Plus I got it at work with my employee dfiscount. Yea it was a neccessary evil I suppose , however I usually don't go for the Monster products.You don't have to tell me about stores pushing Monster products, I know all about it. Customers actually fall for it too,that's the sad part All in all ,it got rid of my problem so that's what matters. I just won't be buying any toys for awhile :P

Ok, you got it on discount.

It always seems like it's something new...I thought 1080p was the big thing to get, now you have to have not only 1080p, but 120hz. What is next? I really want to make sure my next TV is as future proof as possible (not that there really is such a thing with electronics these days).

Vizio will release a line of tvs that go to 240 HZ this summer. Some other companies have them out but they are way more expensive than what Vizio is shooting for price range wise..

The 42 inch model will supposedly retail for a measly $1,099 and have 4 HDMI ports (I think we have a winner for my price range! 240 HZ ftw!) and some super duper media capabilities. The 55 inch model goes for $1,999 but has 1,000,000:1 contrast (lower models are only 50,000:1) and 5 ports plus LED backlighting.

240 hz btw is the highest they can go, its basically a 4ms refresh rate and its supposedly impossible to refresh faster than 4ms.

What Marvin isn't telling you is that most of the TVs that started out with 120hz refresh rate were horrible. It has been refined by now, but I imagine there will be some problems with the first year or so of 240hz as well.

Very true. I've seen people pay ridiculous prices for HDMI cables at Circuit City and Best Buy, mostly because of the employees pimping Monster. People seem to think that because they're more expensive, they're better than cheaper cables.

Personally, I'd recommend Monoprice. In my last order, I paid less than $15 for two HDMI cables, shipping included.

The only problem I had with the BR player I got was that the BD Live compliance is tied to the fact that you have to buy a usb memory storage thing and put it into the back of the set (most compliant sets have the storage built in). I suppose at the price of storage these days, it was cheaper this way since I got 4 GB for $10 and most models with built in storage only have 1 GB and they all cost too much.

Any particular reason you chose the S350? Just curious, as I haven't seen any decent deals in the past few weeks for it, and the DMP-BD35 and DMP-BD55 have both generally received better reviews.

Very true. I've seen people pay ridiculous prices for HDMI cables at Circuit City and Best Buy, mostly because of the employees pimping Monster. People seem to think that because they're more expensive, they're better than cheaper cables.

Personally, I'd recommend Monoprice. In my last order, I paid less than $15 for two HDMI cables, shipping included.

The only problem I had with the BR player I got was that the BD Live compliance is tied to the fact that you have to buy a usb memory storage thing and put it into the back of the set (most compliant sets have the storage built in). I suppose at the price of storage these days, it was cheaper this way since I got 4 GB for $10 and most models with built in storage only have 1 GB and they all cost too much.

Any particular reason you chose the S350? Just curious, as I haven't seen any decent deals in the past few weeks for it, and the DMP-BD35 and DMP-BD55 have both generally received better reviews.

It was on sale for $250 and I had a $50 GC.

So with Tax return time on our heels, I may be finally pulling the trigger on a new tv. The cool thing is it looks like I have two potential buyers for my current tv that are willing to pay $500 for it, which will knock off a significant amount from anything I decide to buy.....

I looked at a couple of options from the CostCo website, and am wondering if some of the experts here can give me some feedback.

The first one is a 46" sceptre 1080p and is going for a mere $699.00Listed Here At that price it is hard to complain about what you are getting, but keep in mind my budget for the new tv is significantly higher then that so I am willing to hear and every reason about why I should not get this particular set.

The other one is a 50" plasma Vizio Listed Here Again, the price seems pretty good for the screen size, however there might be something about it that gives me reason enough not to get it.

Still a couple of months away from when I expect to get my tax return money, so there is still plenty of searching to do, I just wanna get your guys opinions on these two sets.

Thanks.