TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Corey_Lazarus

Ozzfest '06

I'm still not sure why Dragonforce is the new "it" power metal band. Yeah, they play fast... but that's about all they have going for them. They don't craft good melodies (like Hammerfall), nor do they do anything musically creative (like Blind Guardian).

Essentially, they're the Malmsteen of a new generation.

Which is precisely why I dislike them, and most power metal at that. You and I have had some talks about the style, and my main reason is usually because it seems like the band's just doing everything for the sake of doing it, and not because it aids in the song itself.

That's why I love Iron Maiden. Even the lesser-quality songs (discounting the Blaze era, which just doesn't exist) still have a good flow, and nothing they do seems so "out there" that it ruins the song. Fuck, "Where Eagles Dare" is a very quality metal song, and it's the same 3 or 4 riffs over and over for nearly 6 minutes. But there's just enough little changes in melody and harmony over them to make everything seem interesting. Maiden never blew their load all on one song, which is why I think they've had such staying power. That and, of course, their amazing live show.

Expect a Sounds of the Underground thread started in a little bit.