TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Corey_Lazarus

Ozzfest '06

Dragonforce...okay, I get them. They're the latest "yay, they're fucking awesome" band from Scandinavia, hurrah. Great musicians, but I don't fucking get what's so good about them. They're Stratovarius. They're Rhapsody. They're Dream Theater. They're a dime a fucking dozen. Where's the power metal love for Jag Panzer? Or Onward? Or pioneers like Helloween?

Well then. My b. Note how you didn't disagree with anything else I said.

Oh, and fuck England. They used to give us amazing bands of all styles - most of the original punk movement, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath - but...what the fuck? I haven't heard an actually above-average band from England to have emerged since the late 80's.

Please, somebody name me one. And no "indie rock" crap like the Arctic Monkeys, because they suck and you all know it but fail to acknowledge it. I really can't think of a single one. Cradle of Filth? Cradle of fucking Filth!?

I will agree Dragonforce is not that great, though I don't agree with your standard rag on Rhapsody and Strato, but that's for another time.

As for the English band question, I would cite the three kings of 90's English doom metal: Paradise Lost, My Dying Bride (probably my two favorite bands ever) and Anathema (who were really good before falling off the wagon with Judgement and gradually worsening subsequent releases)

Well then. My b. Note how you didn't disagree with anything else I said.

Oh, and fuck England. They used to give us amazing bands of all styles - most of the original punk movement, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath - but...what the fuck? I haven't heard an actually above-average band from England to have emerged since the late 80's.

Please, somebody name me one. And no "indie rock" crap like the Arctic Monkeys, because they suck and you all know it but fail to acknowledge it. I really can't think of a single one. Cradle of Filth? Cradle of fucking Filth!?

Oasis.

Dragonforce...okay, I get them. They're the latest "yay, they're fucking awesome" band from Scandinavia, hurrah. Great musicians, but I don't fucking get what's so good about them. They're Stratovarius. They're Rhapsody. They're Dream Theater. They're a dime a fucking dozen. Where's the power metal love for Jag Panzer? Or Onward? Or pioneers like Helloween?

Oh you did NOT just say that about Dream Theater.

So, I see Avenged Sevenfold and DragonForce are added to the main stage.

http://ozzfest.com/bands.html

You guys aren't lying, I just check that link and holy shit does this year's lineup suck. Where's the traditional "old school" band that co-headlines with Ozzy every year? (Priest, Maiden, Slayer, etc)

Demilich

* June 4th: Houston, TX, with Averse Sefira, Biolich, and Spliteye - venue TBA

http://www.anentity.com/demilich/

Went to this last night:

060406_G.jpg

Due to my late arrival I missed Spiteye. I went in just before local black metallers To Scale The Throne took to the very small stage. Biolich from New York followed with a some weird grindcore antics. Next up was, as Red Hot Thumbtack to the Eye put it, the mighty mighty fucking mighty Averse Sefira and they went about owning everyone and their mothers eardrums with the sonic fury... Said eardrum ownership was then transferred over to Demilich for another audio assault... pleasant times and tunes...

...you'll what? Shoot my horse?!

elegant-horse.jpg

WHAT DID PRINCE STALIANT EVER DO TO YOU!?

And Slay, you already know I don't care much for doom metal. I can only think of two British metal bands that I don't mind listening to, Akercocke and Plague, and neither of them are too good. Send More Paramedics is good for a laugh and for a bunch of people trying to be Slayer and not realizing what made Slayer good, but alas.

The statement still stands about British bands.

The poster Brujo posted is notable because none of the band names are legible.

It wouldn't matter, I've never heard of any of those bands anyway.

1- yes, this lineup is awful.

2- metallica have confirmed in a video posting to fan club members that the Ozzfest rumors are false (although Lars was diplomatic saying "it'd be fun to do one day" or something to that effect) and that they're spending the majority of their summer recording their new album with Rick Rubin.

3- Yes, there will be another Gigantour this year, and it better fucking come close to the DC/Balt area this year because I was pissed I didn't go last year. Lineup should come out within the next month but the rumored bands are Judas Priest (if they're on they'd headline), Megadeth (duh), Anthrax, Overkill and Death Angel. Oh yes. Did I mention they better hit DC/Balt?

Wait Metallica is working with Rick Rubin now? Did they finally ditch Bob Rock? There might be hope still left for them!!

1- yes, this lineup is awful.

2- metallica have confirmed in a video posting to fan club members that the Ozzfest rumors are false (although Lars was diplomatic saying "it'd be fun to do one day" or something to that effect) and that they're spending the majority of their summer recording their new album with Rick Rubin.

3- Yes, there will be another Gigantour this year, and it better fucking come close to the DC/Balt area this year because I was pissed I didn't go last year. Lineup should come out within the next month but the rumored bands are Judas Priest (if they're on they'd headline), Megadeth (duh), Anthrax, Overkill and Death Angel. Oh yes. Did I mention they better hit DC/Balt?

Wait Metallica is working with Rick Rubin now? Did they finally ditch Bob Rock? There might be hope still left for them!!

Yeah, it's true.

Guest 5.0Fanatic

I guess to revive an old topic I just got back from Ozzfest. I wasn't planning on going but a guy I work with asked me last night if I wanted to go with him. It was kinda blah, Disturbed and System of a Down were great as usual, but everyone else on the main stage was not that great. Seeing Avenged Sevenfold doing a cover of Walk was weird, I didn't know if I should be sickened or applaud them. Lacuna Coil and Hatebreed are not some of my favorites, and Dragonforce, which individually it seemed every member of the band was super talented, I couldn't get into. We got there late so we only got to see, Unearth Atreyu and Black Label Society on the second stage. The best part of the day however was me beating Oli from All That Remains in a game of Guitar Hero infront of a huge crowd. Never have I been so proud of my video game skills.

The best part of the day however was me beating Oli from All That Remains in a game of Guitar Hero infront of a huge crowd. Never have I been so proud of my video game skills.

Which song and at what level?

Guest Bammey

How long were the headliners set? Obviously, SOAD the longest if Ozzy wasn't there.

Guest 5.0Fanatic

Dragonforce- 25 minutes

Lacuna Coil - 30 minutes

Hatebreed- 45 minutes

Avenged Sevenfold- 45 minutes

Disturbed- 75 minutes

SOAD- 90 minutes

Yeah. Dragonforce is one of those bands that you either like or you don't. I respect their musicianship, but...their songs are fucking awful. Catchy at times, but I always feel as if I'm listening to somebody beating their cock into my ear whenever the solo's and harmonies come in. Nothing musically is used to set the mood, it's just to show everybody that they can do it.

A7X covering Pantera...there's something so incredibly wrong with that. Oh, that's right...PANTERA WERE A BUNCH OF DRUNKEN BADASS REDNECK MOTHERFUCKERS, AND AVENGED SEVENFOLD ARE A BUNCH OF FAGGOTS THAT LOVE GUNS N' ROSES AND MOTLEY CRUE. 'Nuff said.

Dragonforce- 25 minutes

Lacuna Coil - 30 minutes

Hatebreed- 45 minutes

Avenged Sevenfold- 45 minutes

Disturbed- 75 minutes

SOAD- 90 minutes

This is why I didn't go to Ozzfest. I hate SOAD and couldn't stand them for 90 minutes.

My fiancee and I opted out this year of Ozzfest and Warped. Neither line-up seemed interesting to us. She likes A7X or whatever the hell the kids call them and I like Disturbed and Lacuna Coil somewhat, but the rest was just eh to me.

Wasn't worth the price tag at all for what was on the main stage.

I'm still not sure why Dragonforce is the new "it" power metal band. Yeah, they play fast... but that's about all they have going for them. They don't craft good melodies (like Hammerfall), nor do they do anything musically creative (like Blind Guardian).

Essentially, they're the Malmsteen of a new generation.