TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
the pinjockey

2006 TSM NFL Mock Draft

One thing is for sure, if San Diego drafted the people I drafted, they'll be in a lot better shape heading in camp, even if its Phillip Rivers as the starting QB. As for the Bears... well I really hope they don't take Mercedes Lewis, but whatever.

With the 64th pick in the draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers select...

OLB/S Jon Alston of Stanford University

263194.jpg

A complete headhunter who has a remarkable gift for finding the ballcarrier, Alston might have gotten lost in the shuffle of this draft because of his lack of ideal size for either a 4-3 or 3-4 outside linebacker. While he could certainly try to pack on a few pounds, I think it is more likely that the Steelers will address their need for a FS to replace Chris Hope by converting Alston to center-field (ala Michael Boulware). When considered as a S prospect, Alston's measurables are simply remarkable. At the combine, he had a staggering KEI of 81.00 (anything over 70 is considered outstanding) and combines a 4.40 40 time with remarkable strength (30 reps of 225 pounds on bench -- compare that to AJ Hawk's 24 reps -- beats all but one LB prospect, yet alone DB prospects), good agility (4.14 short shuttle, which is respectable and beats most S prospects that tested), and a 40" vertical jump. The guy is the definition of playmaker. On the downside, he tends to get caught up in the wash as a 220 pound OLB, and might never be effective in the pro game at that position. Fortunately, he won't have that problem at FS.

The fun thing for Steelers fans to envision is that, if he drilled with the safeties in the combine, this guy has the coverage skills and physical tools to be a mid-1st round pick. Put him with another remarkable playmaker like Troy Polamalu, and just salivate at the results. He will be a great pick-up for any team that looks at his resume and thinks "safety".