TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
the pinjockey

2006 TSM NFL Mock Draft

Loading up on Buckeyes, the Broncos select:

Mangold_Nick_vOKSt.jpg

Nick Mangold, C, Ohio State

Again, not much time for a writeup, but with Tom Nalen's probable retirement in the next year or two, help on the O-line is going to be a priority. Mangold is easily the best center in the draft.

With the 23rd Pick in the 2006 Smartmarks Mock Draft, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select OT Marcus McNeill from Auburn.

fbc_aub_marcus_mcneill_164w.jpg

Marcus McNeill, T, Auburn

Height: 6-7

Weight: 332

Likely Draft Position: Mid to Late First Round

Possible Destinations: Cowboys, Chargers, Buccaneers

NFL Comparison: Flozell Adams

As physically imposing as Ferguson and Justice are, McNeill is even more so. He's bigger, he's clocked a sub-5.0 40, and once he gets his hands on a defender the play is essentially over.

However, McNeill has too frequently let his athletic ability carry him, to the point that his technique and footwork need refinement before he can be considered as complete a prospect as the two tackles likely to be taken ahead of him. Moreover, he's not shy about second helpings and gets sluggish when his weight climbs.

That said, plenty of teams will be more than willing to take a chance on McNeill's physical attributes and figure they can teach him proper technique—and how to mix in a salad. The Chargers or Buccaneers would love to see him slip down the draft board and into their starting offensive line, but the Cowboys may not let that happen.

With the 24th pick in the NFL Draft, the Cincinnati Bengals select......

Tye Hill, CB Clemson

Since the Bengals signed Dexter Jackson & Sam Adams in the off-season, they do not have to look for an immediate starter at this pick. They could probably look at almost every position on the defensive side of the ball to add depth, especially at LB since Marvin Lewis is thinking about switching to a 3-4 defense. However, it seems like Tye Hill is the best player left on the board. He won't start this year, but with Tory James turning 33 by opening day this will be a good future value pick. Hill also will probably immediately grab the starting punt return spot.

The Jints are on the clock.

If the draft really fell like this, if I am the Eagles, I do whatever it takes to get back into the first round and take Greenway/Sims. Their second (45th overall) and two of their three fourth rounders could be enough to get them up in this range, if not I'd even give up a 2nd and 3rd round pick plus change (6th roundish). In this deep of a draft teams might be willing to move for multiple mid round picks and a Bunkley/Greenway draft would immediately repair the defense.

With the 25th pick, the Giants select...

Chad Greenway, LB Iowa

Giants need a ton of help with the OLB corps, depending on if they sign Arrington or not. If they were to sign him, then they could possibly go for a DT.

Yeah I'm up for a second round.

With the 27th pick in the NFL Draft, the Carolina Panthers select.....

Ernie Sims, OLB Florida State

Carolina needs help at the linebacker spots, and people seem to love how he is on game film. He is undersized, but seems to have great intangibles in order to succeed at the next level.

I'm down for multiple rounds with both Carolina & Cincinnati.

With the 28th pick in the 2006 NFL Draft, the Jacksonville Jaguars select:

Leonard Pope, Tight End, University of Georgia

Physical stats: 6'7, 258 pounds. 40 time - 4.62

Strengths: Pope has great size, leaping ability, excellent hands and a knack for getting open. His size and athleticism brings up a great comparison to Antonio Gates if Gates had played college ball at all before playing for the Chargers. His natural phyiscal skills combined with his great route-running would make him a deadly weapon for QB Byron Leftwich if a play breaks down and he needs to make a quick dump off to avoid a sack.

Weaknesses: Can be a better blocker. Doesn't have elite speed like Gates, but it's good enough to get separation from a lmost any LB covering him. Needs more of a mean streak, especially as a blocker.

Opinion: Though the Jaguars have needs at strong side linebacker and possibly at guard, one of the low points on the team last year was the play out of the tight end position. Kyle Brady is near the end of his career and George Wrighster hasn't developed like the Jags' coaching staff has wished which has left QB Leftwich to take many bad hits due to not having confidence in them catching the ball. Leonard Pope is another excellent big target that can not only stretch the field and, with a bit more help on technique, help in the blocking schemes. At 6'7, he has the ability to catch passes that would probably sail over the heads of most others and is big enough to break tackles from smaller DBs and LBs to add more yards after the catch that the offense desperately needs to reach the next level in the league.

With the 29th pick, the New York Jets select:

D_IMAGE.f8d5bfac6b.93.88.fa.80.2a8f7ba6.jpg

Bobby Carpenter OLB, Ohio St

The Jets once again go with defense, even with the shortcomings on offense, but Carpenter is too good of a player to pass up. The Jets are going to use the 3-4, and a front seven of Mario Williams, Carpenter, Vilma, Barton, Hobson, Oelhoffen, and Ellis should cause major mayhem for opposing teams. Carpenter fits in perfectly as an outside linebacker in the 3-4, with some size and speed.

The Indianapolis Colts take Joseph Addai, RB, Louisiana State University.

261557.jpg

With the big four running backs all gone, the Colts might be looking at the somewhat surprising Addai as a replacement for Edgerrin James. Addai could sneak into the bottom of the first round based on his impressive 40 times, in the 4.4 range, at the combine.

Joseph Addai I think is going to be a sleeper pick in the draft.

He could be a franchise RB. But in all likelyhood in the real draft the Colts will get one of the 4 1st round RB's. I doubt the Ravens will draft a RB in the 1st round, espically since they resigned Jamal Lewis and signed Mike Anderson

I think, at this point, it might be questionable if White is one of the top 4 RBs though. I could see some team liking a name we haven't been hearing Addai/Calhoun/etc. over White if he has been that unimpressive this offseason.

And Seattle is on the clock.

Seahawks select:

img9307344.jpg

ERIC WINSTON, MIAMI - OT

Positives: Former collegiate tight end brings considerable athleticism to the position. ... Impressive performances in Scouting Combine drills and at the Hurricanes' Pro Day on May 4 figure to do wonders for his draft stock. ... Shows good football temperament and physical style of play that matches the mentality of his opponents. ... Good size (6-6 and 310 pounds) and strength. ... Long arms and strong hands. ... Superb body control and footwork.

Negatives: Suffered a torn knee ligament that ended his season in 2004, although pre-draft workouts have put to rest many of the lingering concerns. ... Pass-protection technique needs work. ... Must improve lower-body strength.

I think they need to pick up a young OT even though they signed Ashworth.

I think Burleson will fill in well for Joe Jurevicius to start alongside Jackson. Engram is getting up there but they still have Warrick, Bannister and Hackett and could stand to pick one up a bit later. OT and CB are my (and hopefully their) main concerns.

I'm sure you'll catch it, but I'm not marked down for the Bengals in the 2nd Round. I'll hold on to them to. Gotta commend you, I never would have thought we'd get through a first round in less than a week!

I think the Steelers are more likely to grab Martin Nance in round 2. The guy was Ben's #1 target at Miami of Ohio, is a huge target, and plays like Hines Ward. It's not like Randel-El did so much for them last year that he needs replacement this badly, over an RB.

But the next best RBs are Calhoun and Drew, not worthy of first round picks. If a Maroney or White fell, then sure jump on them but there is no need to reach at this point with someone like Moss still hanging around.