TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KingPK

ESPN sucks, so do thread closers

Guest Smues

And now Skip Bayless is running the Budweiser Hotseat. They're going for Worst Episode Ever honors tonight.

Edit: And now Skip is calling the USC loss the biggest upset ever. Michigan says hi.

And now Skip Bayless is running the Budweiser Hotseat. They're going for Worst Episode Ever honors tonight.

Edit: And now Skip is calling the USC loss the biggest upset ever. Michigan says hi.

Oh come on, that was like 6 weeks ago. No one even remembers that!

Guest Smues

Oh come on, that was like 6 weeks ago. No one even remembers that!

Oh yeah.

And before someone (Al) points out that if I don't like it I don't have to watch it, tonight they hooked me in with promises of watching Sid slide home. I had to sit through a Stuart Scott poetry slam, skip bayless, AND the Jef...douchebag New York kid catches the ball play to get to it, and it was still worth it. I could watch that play on an endless loop all day.

Haven't they said that the Stanford-USC was actually the biggest upset going by the betting lines. I believe they were either +41 or +39, which apparently is the biggest underdog to win. So you could make the arguement for it.

And trust me, backing Skip Bayless is below shooting myself in the face for things I would want to do.

Guest Gym Class Fallout

No way Skip Bayless doesn't take pipe.

I've never seen Stuart Scott's Poetry Jam, and what the hell kind of highlights are to be had from an early October preseason game? Ugh. I'm not totally sure on this yet, but I have a good feeling that I'm going to dance a happy dance in early May when the Celtics get bounced in the first round by the 41-win Nets.

Eat shit, the lot of you.

Good counterargument

I'm not interested in making an argument. It's not my job to sell the WNBA; if you don't like it, you don't like it... I just think you're all unecessarily being pricks about it.

Well, oldskool, anyway; the rest of you weren't really that bad.

Haven't they said that the Stanford-USC was actually the biggest upset going by the betting lines. I believe they were either +41 or +39, which apparently is the biggest underdog to win. So you could make the arguement for it.

And trust me, backing Skip Bayless is below shooting myself in the face for things I would want to do.

It's a fallacious argument, though, because Michigan/App State didn't have a line, as is the norm for interdivisional games.

I'm getting less and less interested in ever getting ESPN up here, from the sounds of things.

But how often are any lines above 40? Even powers against the Temples of D1 usually don't break 40, so I doubt playing against the best DII team it would be any worse than a Temple.

I am not saying I agree with the idea. I just think that a case can be made and it not be the stupidest idea ever.

Well, first off the USC/Stanford line was wrong. I don't think anyone should ever be favored by 40 points in a conference game. Stanford has gotten their asses kicked this year, but by an avg. of 30 points a game. Add in that USC hasn't beaten anyone by 40 all year and that was a crazy line even if USC had won the game easily. USC could have won that game 49-10 and not covered.

Regardless of whether Michigan/App State was more competitive than, say, Michigan/Temple would have been, the line still would have been huge, because Vegas would know everyone would pile on Michigan against any I-AA school. I'm thinking something on the order of about seven touchdowns. I've seen 49-point lines several times in early-season squashes.

But yes, I can see how it might not be the stupidest idea ever, even thought I personally disagree.

Guest Smues

Here's the Poetry Jam embedded in someone's blog. Be careful, you may never recover.

Stuart Scott AGGGGGGGGGG

The quality isn't great, and it's only the intro, not the actual game highlights, but you get the idea.

Eat shit, the lot of you.

Good counterargument

I'm not interested in making an argument. It's not my job to sell the WNBA; if you don't like it, you don't like it... I just think you're all unecessarily being pricks about it.

Well, oldskool, anyway; the rest of you weren't really that bad.

I just wanted to know how the league survived when the games weren't as good as the NBA games (admittedly, no less, because they continue to change the rules) and the same team won the first four championships.

That said, ESPNNEWS needs to stop showing press conferences; I really don't care what the pitching strategy is for the ALCS (Hint: Throw the ball where they won't hit it) and I don't really need to hear why the football team lost the game (Hint: bad coaching/execution/luck). Just go back to the loop of game summaries you've been showing.

Regardless of whether Michigan/App State was more competitive than, say, Michigan/Temple would have been, the line still would have been huge, because Vegas would know everyone would pile on Michigan against any I-AA school. I'm thinking something on the order of about seven touchdowns. I've seen 49-point lines several times in early-season squashes.

But yes, I can see how it might not be the stupidest idea ever, even thought I personally disagree.

I believe I read somewhere that although there was no official line, if you looked at the right place you could get a 28 point line on that game.

Dear Merill Hoge:

Stop trying to get "The Cashier" over as Adrian Peterson's nickname, douchebag.

Why would he be called "The Cashier?" Please don't tell me it is because he is money. If that IS the case then Hoge needs to be fired.

So did anyone watch the new ESPN Dateline type show E:60? I tried watching it but I couldn't get past the shitty opening and Michael Smith talking about statutory rape.

Dear Merill Hoge:

Stop trying to get "The Cashier" over as Adrian Peterson's nickname, douchebag.

Why would he be called "The Cashier?" Please don't tell me it is because he is money. If that IS the case then Hoge needs to be fired.

No, he claims its because he makes defenses pay the price. Just call the guy by his name for once and not something that even fucking Berman would shake his head at or even always generic and uncreative use of initials.

Something that made me laugh today . . . I was watching the intro to sportscenter today and they mentioned the Yankee Management meetings had concluded and said something to the effect of whether or not they had decided Torre was staying. I then thought to myself, well if it's big enough news, it'll be in that little box on ESPN news. So I turned the channel, and low and behold, it said "NYY meetings done, no decision on Torre." No ESPN, I will not be sucked in by your Teasers!

So did anyone watch the new ESPN Dateline type show E:60? I tried watching it but I couldn't get past the shitty opening and Michael Smith talking about statutory rape.

I watched and the black and white meetings seemed very staged. If they just did the stories and didn't ESPNize it, the show might be okay.

Was watcing ESPNews at lunch. The breaking news crawler said "NYY and Torre close to deal" and had Jayson Stark to discuss Torre's return. Then they have full page on-screen grapic which read " Torre set to return" while they were playing the conference call announcing that he had turned down their contract offer.

Why jump the gun and make yourself look foolish?

Was watcing ESPNews at lunch. The breaking news crawler said "NYY and Torre close to deal" and had Jayson Stark to discuss Torre's return. Then they have full page on-screen grapic which read " Torre set to return" while they were playing the conference call announcing that he had turned down their contract offer.

Why jump the gun and make yourself look foolish?

Gotta stick with what works. I don't care what anyone says, but the day ESPN merged with Disney and ABC was the exact moment the channel started to collapse. It was like all the fun just got sucked out of the network.

Damn. I so wanted USF to win just so Robert Smith would've looked like a little more of a fool.

Seriously, Mark fucking May looked smart and rational debating that doucherocket on College Football Live.

This is real, REAL old, but for some reason I was just reminded of it, and I noticed no one mentioned it here.

Anyway, the morning after the VA Tech tragedy I was listening to the radio sports center, and the anchor I guess was trying to tie in sports with the news even of the day and mentioned that all of the rosters of the football team and mens basketball team were present and accounted for.

Geez. I mean really.

1) Its a little insensitive to the other sports played on that campus to only mention the two sports the national sports fan would know and care about on a daily basis, rather than soccer, lacrosse, womens hoops or whatever team that gets national publicity whenever major news breaks and then returns to its little niche as soon as the cycle is over. Would it take THAT much research and time to make sure you can say NONE of the known VA Tech student athletes were among the victims, even if the names haven't been released.

2) And there in lies the greater issue, does every thing need to be tied back into sports just because you are mentioning it in an update? Yes its a school with a well known football program, and yes it was talked about on ESPN's family of shows, but still, say that was MIT or a school whose sports aren't constantly talked about on the national scope (think Ivy Leagues, or an NYU type of school), you think there is ANY mention on ESPN? Maybe briefly by the hosts of a show just to acknowledge that it occurred and that they are here to give some "relief" from the real world.

Anyway, guess that needed to be gotten off my chest.

I really hated the way ESPN handled the Joe Torre situation. Did ESPN need to be on constant 24:7 Torre watch before and even after he announced he would not return? They treated it like an entire team was killed in a plane crash.

I've seen the new SportsCenter commercial a few times now. The one where Adam Vinetieri (sp?) is walking through the metal detector. At first I thought it was very funny, especially since I am a fan of New England and the Colts, but that's besides the point. After a couple of times watching it I have grown to really hate the commercial. The reason is because if you look behind him, next in line in his HoF jacket is Jom Kelly. ESPN knows that he never won a title and at one point as Adam is taking off one of the rings he looks right at Kelly and says "2003, I always forget about that one." I think that is kind of classless of ESPN to have one guy "forget" about his world title rings while someone that never won one stands right behind him.

It might just be nitpicking, but it's something that's been bothering me.