TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Your Paragon of Virtue

Is Andrei Arlovski simply not a very good fighter?

Any MMA neophyte outside of an accomplished submission stylist is going to be considered to have a weak ground game at first, especially one who doesn't seem to have taken ground training seriously.

Oh, and Yoshida isn't a really good submission guy.

Yes, because there's a lot of emphasis on submissions in sport Judo... you know, as opposed to scoring an ippon or pinning the other guy.

Or in submission grappling terms: Judoka via points (2-0)

I never really said Hunt would be submitted, I said right now I fail to see why someone with good takedowns, and ground control couldn't do that against him in route to winning. Submission or not, Hunt hasn't proven that he cannot be ground controlled. Mirko's atleast shown he has some understanding of how it works.

Plus...I like Yoshida. He's ballsy. Anyone who can take an asskicking and keep coming forward while only having a throw and maybe a submission or two as his only offensive weapons gets my vote.

Judo has subs. Lots of subs. Is it not reasonable to believe that a guy who has trained for years in Judo would be good at subs? Esp a guy who wins lots of his fights via subs?

Hunt was able to beat Bobish after getting taken down and laid on. Silva took him down too.

Judo has subs. Lots of subs. Is it not reasonable to believe that a guy who has trained for years in Judo would be good at subs? Esp a guy who wins lots of his fights via subs?

It'd be conjecture at best considering:

- Outside of a few Kosen Judo clubs, there's VERY little emphasis on newaza, which is usually considered a waste of time compared to standing grappling.

-Yoshida's only submitted one person with good submission defense, and that was with a basic forearm choke on a person you've referred to as a can.

Hunt was able to beat Bobish after getting taken down and laid on. Silva took him down too.

That's because Bobish sucks at grappling & gassed, and Wanderlei was massively outweighed & has one of the weakest submission games you're likely to see out of a BJJ black belt in MMA.

Judo guys haven't done as well as BJJ guys in MMA traditionally. I mean any place that has emphasis on ground fighting naturally would be good enough, but the problem is that most judo clubs do not. Karo is a good example of that not being the case though. He's come closer to catching matt Serra than anyone else in MMA, though Karo comes close to catching everybody.

Guest brainuse

Crocop continues to be rated by hype and proxy to Nog and Fedor. Mirko is obviously a quality HW, but his wagon train of fans have almost completely ignored his losses to Randleman and Hunt, and have ripped people like Sylvia and AA for the competition they have faced, while letting the fact that Crocop's best wins are over a green untested Alexsander Emelianenko and an inactive, had to quantify Barnett, slide past without remark.

Hunt is, by virtue of his wins over Mirko and Silva, as well as due to the relative weakness of the HW division, currently a top 10 HW. This is obviously impressive for a guy so new to MMA, but it doesn't change the fact that he's due to get destroyed on the ground by a halfway quality HW grappler anytime now.

Arlovski is quite good, obviously. After getting thrown to the wolves against Ricco and Rizzo, he tore off 6 absolutely dominating wins. Matyushenko had just gotten done beating Rogerio, giving Wiuff a wrestling clinic beatdown, and controling Rizzo. Andrei blew him up. Cabbage made it out of the first round, but only because his skull is harder than chinese algebra. Buentello and Eilers, both well above average on the HW bangers list, were completely outclassed. Say what you will about Sylvia, but his record speaks for itself, and Arlovski just blitzed him the first time around. I don't see what would make you classify him as "not very good," just because he got overexcited after rocking the crap out of Sylvia, and got caught coming in.