TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JoeDirt

WWE PPV buyrate question

I'm looking for official PPV buyrate numbers from Royal Rumble 2005 - present. Can anyone help me out? Thanks! (I want the actual amount of buys, not a buyrate number)

How long does it take to usually get a final, official number with "all precincts reporting", so to speak?

Prelim numbers usually come in a couple of months after the PPV. It varies how long it takes for the final numbers to be released.

This document is updated pretty regularly:

http://www.shareholder.com/wwe/downloads/K...nessDrivers.pdf

So, according to WWE...

Rumble 2005 575,000

No Way Out 240,000

Wrestlemania 21 980,000

Backlash 2005 320,000

Judgment Day 260,000

ECW One Night Stand 340,000

Vengenance 420,000

GAB 280,000

Summerslam 650,000

Unforgiven 250,000

No Mercy 230,000

Taboo Tuesday 250,000

Survivor Series 400,000

Armageddon 320,000

New Years Revolution 300,000

Rumble 2006 550,000

No Way Out 220,000

Some of those numbers are pretty interesting. Vengeance actually did a better buyrate than Survivor Series, which shocks me. It's also interesting that the ECW PPV did very well for a non Big 4 PPV.

Some of those numbers are pretty interesting. Vengeance actually did a better buyrate than Survivor Series, which shocks me. It's also interesting that the ECW PPV did very well for a non Big 4 PPV.

There have been accusations made in the past that ECW One Night Stand actually got a higher number but that it wasn't being acknowledged for various reasons (lack of faith in the ECW product, loss of face caused by ECW possibly beating a stacked Vengenace show, etc.).

I'm not saying that those allegations are true, but the WWE certainly went all out in promoting the Vengeance show in the weeks following ECW to avoid getting beat by the "competition", even if Vince owns them both.

Look at that Vengeance card...

Angle-HBK in a Wrestlemania rematch

Cena vs. Jericho vs. Christian for the WWE title

Batista vs. Triple H in a Hell In The Cell match for the World Title

Keep in mind that this was only supposed to be a single-brand show, yet both titles were defended.

If Vengeance DIDN'T come close to a Big 4 card, buyrate-wise, it would have been a big shock.

That's a corporate shareholder site. So, I doubt it's lying as Vince didn't enjoy the last time the government got involved in his business and the SEC is just as bad. Not that I'm saying it isn't possible, as Vince is insane.

That's a corporate shareholder site. So, I doubt it's lying as Vince didn't enjoy the last time the government got involved in his business and the SEC is just as bad. Not that I'm saying it isn't possible, as Vince is insane.

Theoretically true...

However, the SEC is going to be more interested in OVERstatement of buys to puff the stock price rather than UNDERstatement due to internal politics.

Also, keep in mind that the PPV buyrate formulas are notoriously imprecise, which is why some shows have shown massive gains suddenly because someone realized something wasn't being counted before. (I'm pretty sure KOTR 2001 and InVasion had far more buys show up over time than were initially predicted from the forecast off of the original estimates.)

There have been accusations made in the past that ECW One Night Stand actually got a higher number but that it wasn't being acknowledged for various reasons (lack of faith in the ECW product, loss of face caused by ECW possibly beating a stacked Vengenace show, etc.)

Ehhh, I think that was false. I remember when those numbers first came out, which was like 2 weeks after the PPV. I've never heard of a buyrate coming out so quickly after a PPV and I think a internet writer was just trying to break news that didn't happen.

Yeah I don't think WWE is lying about the ECW buyrate. If they were going to lie they'd say it did one of the bottom 5 buyrates of the year. This year I can't see Vengeance possibly beating the ONS show. Bear in mind the ECW PPV had no matches announced and the only hook was "Come see the stars of ECW kick the crap out of Bischoff and the invaders!" This year there is something actually at stake with RVD cashing in the MITB and also the entire ECW revival.

I think this year's ECW PPV may well have the 3rd or 4th highest buyrate, trailing just WM, the Rumble, and maybe SummerSlam if it has a big main event.

Guest jaderock

Man at this point ONS2 hasn't been promoted very well...hopefully the USA special ECW vs RAW vs SD draws enough interest to keep this ECW train rolling in the right direction

Well give it some time. I mean this week had the first seeds of this whole ECW angle with Styles doing his shoot promo. It'll kick into high gear soon, at least on Raw. Bear in mind SD has its own PPV to hype, so I dunno how much ECW will be on SD until after May 21.