TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewTS

Okami

I'm having a blast with Okami. But I'm currently stuck and no idea what I need to do. Can't find Sakuya at all right now. Maybe I need to beat up more things. Anyone got any ideas?

Also, found out that as soon as you fill up your food sack, you'll get rewarded with all food becoming cash. So it becomes very easy to stock up on cash.

I finally got the game. Gorgeous visuals, perfect control, love the gameplay, and basically everything I disliked about the demo seems to be fixed here.

Biggest gripe so far: the babbling sound effect isn't too pleasing to the ear. No speech or good voice acting, plz.

However, everything else is fantastic.

Question tho: I was trying to do that little turnip-digging sidequest--but even after getting all 10, that kid doesn't recognize I accomplished it!

Yes, I know leaving the garden resets the count. I know I got 10. Something I'm doing wrong?

I finally got the game. Gorgeous visuals, perfect control, love the gameplay, and basically everything I disliked about the demo seems to be fixed here.

Biggest gripe so far: the babbling sound effect isn't too pleasing to the ear. No speech or good voice acting, plz.

Question tho: I was trying to do that little turnip-digging sidequest--but even after getting all 10, that kid doesn't recognize I accomplished it!

Yes, I know leaving the garden resets the count. I know I got 10. Something I'm doing wrong?

Hm, I find the babble fun. Oh well, must be just me.

As for the turnip, you should by #10 pull out this really cool looking turnip. Pick it up, take it to the kid and viola.

Oh also, cheap, cheap way to make cash. Fill up food sack, then just go into the Sake house and grab the watermelons. Rise and repeat. Easy cash.

After clearing the first dungeon, I can definitely see the influence Zelda had on this game. Reminded me a hell of a lot of the Swamp Dungeon from Majora's Mask.

Klonoa 2's babble was way better. It was a mock language that sounded very pleasant to the ear. Although as I said, with that about the only thing to gripe about, that's a good thing.

Okay, thanks. I get it now. I think I was having Ammy eat the turnip/collect it or something--but now I realize I just "bite" to hold it in her mouth then offer it to the kid.

The "bite" command is more like "grab" than any sort of offensive move.

Whoa, talk about a game taking its time! I'm an hour and twenty minutes or so into the game so far, and while it's been great so far, there's been a ton of dialogue. I've heard that's the case for the first hour or two, so I'm not totally shocked by it. I'm also told that it really picks up after the second hour and then the game really starts to flow.

Anyway, I'm in it now, and I'm loving it.

Just revived two trees, I think I've taken out every single one of the temples, I've gotten a few clovers sprung up, and she's still not appearing at her tree.

Oh, and the messanger guy is still down though, how do I get me a Traveller's Charm to save him and get praise? ^_^ I like getting myself praise, I really do feel more Godlike that way.

Its a bit like black and white in that respect.

if you got the one in the field and the one in the cave, you have to go back to the village eventually and help the orange man bring Sayuka back. Go meet him where you first met him.

I just found a Traveller's Charm about the place...

Well, at least Issun has some personality, whereas Navi was nothing more than a shrieking overgrown firefly.

Its a bit like black and white in that respect.

if you got the one in the field and the one in the cave, you have to go back to the village eventually and help the orange man bring Sayuka back. Go meet him where you first met him.

I just found a Traveller's Charm about the place...

Well, ok. But orange man isn't gonna do the Konoha Shuffle.

To make Mr. Orange do said shuffle, you need to make all the trees in the village bloom and then go talk to him.

Guest theohtanioftime

great game

Hardcore Gamer's review makes a good point about Okami, that it almost pains me to admit:

"The different is that Okami is a smoother and more intuitive experience than any Zelda game. Solving puzzles in Zelda games often involved the laborious process of pulling up a subscreen, selecting a required item, equipping it, and then using it. In Okami, all that you need to do is pull out your 'celestial brush' and draw on the screen to create the desired effect."

It gives me flashbacks of having to equip the WIND WAKER, then equip the SAIL *and* the grappling hook just because I need to travel somewhere in Wind Waker. Then go back to the regular items when I arrive.

Not that it's a better game, but still it's a good point about the interface. No doubt about it, though, Clover is filled with raging Zelda fanboys. I was surprised the first time I heard the "Okami chime." I wouldn't be shocked if Orochi had a pig demon form.

I'm about 4 hours in. I'm finally getting some of the meatier combat abilities, and fought the first real boss.

Konoha Shuffle was definitely cool.

Guest ResidentEvil

So what do you think everyone? Is this going to go down in history as one of the best PS2 games of all time? I know my friend's digging it and I for one am enjoying the previews on youtube. Unfortunately however, I won't be able to play any video games for awhile so there will be no Okami for me.

You know, that's probably a good assement. I've been trading off between this and Valk, and frankly, I find myself heading back to this...

...though I'm missing one damn tree to get the Konoha Shuffle and I can't find the bloody thing.

^_^ Oh, and I'm cutting down any large trees that I can. Cause I'm mean and stuff. Plus they get in my way of making suns.

...though I'm missing one damn tree to get the Konoha Shuffle and I can't find the bloody thing.

Just a tip, none of the trees are tricky or hidden away anywhere. If you look over any of them, just like I did when I needed the last one, it's just because you're trying far too hard, trying to figure out a big thing when it's really simple in the end. The last one for me was:

the one over next to where the clothes are drying. It's over in the corner, but not hidden or trying to be tricky at all.

I believe I just finished the first 3rd of the game, at least that's what I've been told. When you get to this point, you'll know that the first part of the game is over. I'm at the part where I'm about to head over the bridge to go to the capital. I haven't done it yet, but I saved right before so I can start at that point totally fresh when I have a few more hours to give to the game.

It says I'm at 20+hours, but that's at least five hours too much since I've kept it on pause for extended periods of time, and unfortunately that counts in the play time total.

This is the first game I've bought new in a while. I don't regret it. I haven't played too much of it, but so far it's been awesome.

You know what, I don't think I remembered that tree. Bah... *stops Valk to head back to Okami*

First third is the following and a huge ass major spoiler that shouldn't be read if you don't want to spoil everything and its mother:

When you defeat Orochi.

Some ass spoiled that for me, but frankly, I kinda figured there was more to the game. Still, I figured I should give fair warning to people.

Yeesh...you were still trying to get all those trees?!

That final tree was the same one I was stuck on. Found it in, like 5 minutes.

Yet Mr. King of RPGs who went through Disgaea in one day... :P

I'm at 11 hours but that's artificially trumped up from pause time, too.

Is the Deflector sold in Kusa worth buying? I passed on it for Gold Dust to upgrade my current weapon. I only need a few thousand yen to afford it, but that would be all my cash and I don't think I need it.

My only complaint so far is that it's just so freaking easy. I haven't died a single time, and I'm sure most of you guys haven't either. I've never even been close. Up to this point I haven't had to use any of the special power-ups at all to help in battles, not a single one.

Then again, I'm only a third through the game, so maybe things get a bit harder. Right?

Anyway, I don't really mind since it is such a fun game and I'm having a blast, and yes it's one of the best for the PS2 ever. I just wish it was a bit harder, since half the time I don't really feel like I've done anything all that amazing in terms of any sort of skill.

Also, btw, I'm such a goof. I only just now discovered that you can get an instant speed boost by doing a dash then keeping it held down. I have no f'n idea how I only just noticed that.