TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AmericanDragon

Spore

HUGE Bump.

But I figured with the Creature Creator recently being released, and there just being a few months until release, that it was warranted. I can't be the only one here who's fooled around with this and found it to be insanely fun. There's only like 20 options available, and yet still, nothing I've seen posted online has been alike. Which means once all options are available the in game world will be ridiculously huge.

Lost a lot of what I've made as I didn't take pictures, but just a few of the ones I did:

cre067eae5cfulcv1.png

cre067f929efulyj7.png

cre067ff77cfulsb5.png

I'm really liking the fact that the lifeforms you run into on other planets (in the later phase of the game) will all be content that is pulled off the net that is automatically uploaded from other players. Apparently they have a system that will tell you how many times your created species has been encountered (by other players around the world) and the percentage of time it is enslaved/made friends with/wiped out, and other stuff like that.

I saw an awesome description for Spore that described the different phases of gameplay:

Phase 1: Pac-Man

Phase 2: Diablo

Phase 3: Populous

Phase 4: Civilization

Phase 5: Master of Orion

I can't wait to play the full game.

I've been looking forward to Spore since I saw Will Wright's GDC demonstration about 3 years ago. Unfortunately, EA seems to be throwing SecuROM into the mix. From what I'm reading, it's on the full Creature Creator, and the demo. And it'll no doubt be in the full game. So, yeah. Another potentially excellent PC game I most likely won't be getting. :(

this is supposedly coming out on 360, right? If so.. I'll pick it up

Outside of the PC/Mac version, only the DS has been confirmed, as far as I know. And some kind of mobile phone thing, which I assume isn't the full game.

I've been looking forward to Spore since I saw Will Wright's GDC demonstration about 3 years ago. Unfortunately, EA seems to be throwing SecuROM into the mix. From what I'm reading, it's on the full Creature Creator, and the demo. And it'll no doubt be in the full game. So, yeah. Another potentially excellent PC game I most likely won't be getting. :(

Apparently not.

Outside of the PC/Mac version, only the DS has been confirmed, as far as I know. And some kind of mobile phone thing, which I assume isn't the full game.

I also heard that the creator of the game was intrested in making a Wii verison, but he was only just intrested nothing was confirmed.

Apparently not.

They're not requiring you to validate the game every 10 days, which was a really bad idea. But it does still throw SecuROM on your system as copy protection.

Edit: I was beaten to the punch! Instead I'll just say that I think my Sim skills stopped with Sim City 2000, when my citizens got mad after I tried to run a train through their residential district. I was about 10 and thought the train would work kind of like a school bus, stopping every few blocks. I killed everybody with the monster and tornadoes after that.

Apparently not.

They're not requiring you to validate the game every 10 days, which was a really bad idea. But it does still throw SecuROM on your system as copy protection.

What exactly is Securom? I remember reading some complaints, but since I never really played PC games, didn't really care to read up on it more. And even reading the wiki on it right now, I'm still not sure what the exact problem it causes is.

I also heard that the creator of the game was intrested in making a Wii verison, but he was only just intrested nothing was confirmed.

Spore for Wii was confirmed an eternity ago.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3164001

This one kind of gets into the pitfalls of games requiring authentication.

http://securom.mustbedestroyed.org/phorum/...hp?f=6&t=37

I'm particularly wary of EA, considering how they like to take down service for old games' online play (old sports games, for example). And for digital games you buy from their online store; it appears as though you can only re-download for 6 months, unless you pay an extra fee, in which case they'll let you go for 2 years.

Yeah undoubtably the shittiest part of SecurRom is that if the company takes down the authentication server (which will inevitably happen after a certain time) you can't play the game that you BOUGHT. It's a load of crap.

On the bright side, they have removed the checks from Bioshock. So that's no longer an issue with that game. I'd hope that if a publisher was going to saddle a game with crap like SecurRom, at the very least they'd patch it away after a year (as happened with Bioshock), but then with Spore we're talking about EA here.

Yeah undoubtably the shittiest part of SecurRom is that if the company takes down the authentication server (which will inevitably happen after a certain time) you can't play the game that you BOUGHT. It's a load of crap.

On the bright side, they have removed the checks from Bioshock. So that's no longer an issue with that game. I'd hope that if a publisher was going to saddle a game with crap like SecurRom, at the very least they'd patch it away after a year (as happened with Bioshock), but then with Spore we're talking about EA here.

From what I'm reading, it seems as though the game still installs SecuROM on your system, and still requires online validation, but the 5 times each on 5 computers restriction (originally 2 on 2, IIRC) has been lifted. While that's nice, it's only part of the problem that's gone. 10 months after the game's release.

Got it and can't say I've had any problems with it in regards to all the securom shit. The game itself is cute and friendly, typical Wright stuff really. I've been playing for hours and just got into the Space Age part of the game, and only now does it feel like the game is taking shape. Everything else before this was a training ground!