TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ChrisMWaters

Is it time to End The Split

Guest JustPassinBy
Considering the WWE started to fall in ratings well before the brand split, I wouldn't exactly attribute the fall to the brand split. The positives? Not a whole heckuvalot, but I imagine they've made more than they would have without the two separate touring groups, esp. on international tours. Not that the brand split is a good thing, I just don't see the long-term benefit in merging the brands being greater than how it is right now. The problems with the WWE have little to do with the split. Would Steph stop being DoC if they merged? Would Vince stop being nuts?

I think you'd have a better Raw, and a better Smackdown, with a smaller roster. Its sort of like major league baseball. If they contract some teams, the level of play will be better since there are some baseball players that dont deserve to be in the major leagues.

Its the same with wrestling. THere are some people on Raw/Smackdown that have no business being on TV.

When WCW closed, the quality of wrestling SHOULD have actually gotten better. But it didnt bc the WWE decided to make another Smackdown brand, which kept the talent diluted.

I've mentioned this before but at the very least, I think they should tape Raw and Smackdown on the same night and use the additional taping night to give ECW it's own taping in a smaller venue with the ECW sized ring. They should use SD like they used Sunday night Heat prior to SD's debut. Raw is the main show and that's obvious. There is really no need for the SD brand. When people criticize ending the brand split they seem to indicate that you'd see HHH on both shows each week and while it's likely, it's not necessarily the case. You can have part of the roster wrestle SD matches and part wrestle on Raw. If anything, it would give Raw a more big time feel because you wouldn't be seeing the same ten guys in the same slots each week. You can throw a Kurt Angle, Finlay, Lashley, Batista or Rey Mysterio on Raw and use HBK, HHH, Spirit Squad, etc. on SD for several weeks to build storylines leading into a PPV and then mix the rosters back up after the PPV to keep things fresh. A lot of the undecard guys, specifically the cruisers and old ECW names, could be used in the ECW brand. I just think it's the logical step. ECW needs their own tapings in their own setting with their own fans to work. There is no need for SD to have it's own taping because they aren't serious about pushing the brand, it's the same creative team and the same 'feel' as Raw (okay, with a bit more wrestling) and could easily be taped on the same night and sell out arenas as the one 'super taping night' where fans can see all of their favorites.

I don't think ending the split would change anything.

Think about it: All they have to do is create compelling television. Make the shows interesting. You can do that with mid-carders. You don't need a Austin or Rock like superstar to make the show interesting. The talent is there. They just need the material to work with.

As long as everything is meticously scripted for everyone, no one will break out and no one will be interesting. You are all right for saying that it's the same 2 shows--because non wrestling people are writing for both of them.

We don't need 4 hours of HHH a week, nor do we need 4 hours of anyone else. I think it's a combination of a lack of interesting/compelling/good content and the fact that the company as a whole is horribly overexposed. We don't need a PPV every month. Remember when there were only FOUR each year? Aaah, memories. But PPV's bring in money, so we won't see that end anytime soon.

I've always hated the brand split. Not only does it mean that WWE is limited in the feuds and angles they can create(I know we've had cross-brand feuds before, but they're rare), it also means we now have a PPV every 3 weeks, which waters-down there value as well.

So, in conclusion, not only should they end the brand split, but they should also go back to 12 PPV's(1 a month, with at least 4 weeks build-up for each). IMO, that would help towards making a better WWE product.

Actually with the brand split there is generally more than 4 weeks between each brand's PPV (since they alternate) - giving them MORE time to work on angles (if they'd bother)

going back to 12 would usually give them LESS time to build angles so you're actually effectivly arguing against the split there ;)

Actually with the brand split there is generally more than 4 weeks between each brand's PPV (since they alternate) - giving them MORE time to work on angles (if they'd bother)

going back to 12 would usually give them LESS time to build angles so you're actually effectivly arguing against the split there ;)

I'm not talking about each brand's PPVs, I'm talking about the PPVs overall. If you look at it like that, WWE's entire PPV output works out to 1 every 3 weeks. Way too much, IMO.

Its the same with wrestling. THere are some people on Raw/Smackdown that have no business being on TV.

And did Mable belong in the main event over guys like Shawn Michaels & Undertaker in 1995? Did Sid deserve a dominant title run in 1996-97? Were guys like King Kong Bundy, Kamala & Akeem deserving of their pushes against Hogan in the 80s? Vince is going to magically take himself off television because he's no longer needed without the brand split? He was fucking WWF Champion back in 1999, and main evented FOUR (counting the Royal Rumble where Austin/McMahon was booked as the only important thing going in) PPVs that year. Look at any era in WWF history and you will find guys on the roster and being pushed without deserving it because they are either big or they have the 'look'. It has always been like this. End the split now and it isn't going to be Khali & Mark Henry out of a job. They will still be here and getting pushed. It will be the Finlays and Regals of the world.

Vince & Steph cannot be trusted to put on an entertaining product anymore, so we need the split to at least minimize some of the bullshit. The two best matches of the year in WWE have been Taker/Angle from No Way Out and Benoit/Finlay from Judgment Day. Neither would have occurred without the split.

Agreed 100%. Every show will feature ME talent and if the have room for the under card, then that's nice.

Yep. Fantastic main event level talent like John Cena, Triple H, Vince McMahon, Mark Henry, Great Khali, and when he returns, Randy Orton. I really want to see those guys taking up every moment on both shows. HHH is a good wrestler who hasn't done anything new in a long time and is now more boring than anything (HBK fits here too), and the others are just plain horrible.

Guys like Chris Benoit, Kurt Angle & Edge can have fun on Heat or enjoy retirement. Great times.

A smaller roster means a stronger glass ceiling, which means talent that should be elevated won't be. A smaller roster means less shit thrown at the wall and therefore less possibilities for someone new and fresh to get over.

Agreed 100%. Every show will feature ME talent and if the have room for the under card, then that's nice.

Yep. Fantastic main event level talent like John Cena, Triple H, Vince McMahon, Mark Henry, Great Khali, and when he returns, Randy Orton. I really want to see those guys taking up every moment on both shows. HHH is a good wrestler who hasn't done anything new in a long time and is now more boring than anything (HBK fits here too), and the others are just plain horrible.

Guys like Chris Benoit, Kurt Angle & Edge can have fun on Heat or enjoy retirement. Great times.

I wonder where people got the idea that the audiences booed Cena for his wrestling ability. Ever rule out the fact that he has been booked in a half-assed manner for the last twelve months? Could it be the same "evil referee" storyline rehashed, or the "plotting general manager" angle again and again, or the weekly handicap matches?

End the split now and it isn't going to be Khali & Mark Henry out of a job. They will still be here and getting pushed. It will be the Finlays and Regals of the world.
That's what I'm thinking too, at least this way we only see Khali & Henry once a week, not twice