TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mole

Home Theater Systems...

I am looking to get a home theater system and I want to get this one. Now do I also need to get a receiver?

I know nothing about HTS, so thanks in advance.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see it comes with a receiver.

That model, the DVD player acts as the Receiver.

Although with the $199.00 Price tag I think you'd be better off with this Sony Model. (Digital Inputs :) ) Oh unless you don't already have a DVD player to hook up to the receiver, and absolutely NEED the Reciever to BE a DVD player.

Do not go with a Home Theater in a Box unless you are just looking to power a small room. They are cheap and not worth the money.

You are better off going each component seperatley. Sony is not a high quality brand in the Home Theater World.

Well, if his budget is only 200 bucks, there's not many other options. There are some decent HTiB systems out there. I know Onkyo is supposed to have a couple really good ones for under 500 bucks, and Sony's mid level systems are supposed to be decent.

Sony's receivers aren't that bad...I think Sony products tend to be slightly overpriced, based on their name recogntion (most people think Sony = awesome electronics). I have a friend who has a Sony receiver, and it sounds pretty good with his small "cube" home theater speakers.

But yeah, it comes down to the size of the room and what you plan to use it for. If it's a small room (like a bedroom) the above system will probably be fine. If you're talking a large open concept living room with cathedral ceilings, then it's probably not going to cut it. I used to work at a Bose store (known for their small cube systems), and I hated how people always seemed to have huge rooms like that, and think a small two speaker system would be adequate for a room like that.

Well, if his budget is only 200 bucks, there's not many other options. There are some decent HTiB systems out there. I know Onkyo is supposed to have a couple really good ones for under 500 bucks, and Sony's mid level systems are supposed to be decent.

Sony's receivers aren't that bad...I think Sony products tend to be slightly overpriced, based on their name recogntion (most people think Sony = awesome electronics). I have a friend who has a Sony receiver, and it sounds pretty good with his small "cube" home theater speakers.

But yeah, it comes down to the size of the room and what you plan to use it for. If it's a small room (like a bedroom) the above system will probably be fine. If you're talking a large open concept living room with cathedral ceilings, then it's probably not going to cut it. I used to work at a Bose store (known for their small cube systems), and I hated how people always seemed to have huge rooms like that, and think a small two speaker system would be adequate for a room like that.

Don't even get me started on Bose....lol The anti-christ of home theater systems. The biggest ripoff, IMO, I have ever seen for the quality of electronice they produce.

I got a Zenith one for $119.99. It isn't that bad, but it does the job.

The only thing I really like is being able to hear stuff from the rear speakers, like in Star Wars when a ship comes on to screen and you can hear it from the rear speaker to the front. I have a fetish for that shit for some reason.

Don't even get me started on Bose....lol The anti-christ of home theater systems. The biggest ripoff, IMO, I have ever seen for the quality of electronice they produce.

I would agree that their products are definitely overpriced. However, you have to remember they're not trying to appeal to audiophiles. They appeal to people with disposable incomes who want something that looks nice and is easy to use, and sounds good to them (better at least than the typical crummy stereos most people have). Their newer "Lifestyle" complete home theater systems are actually really well designed (though you can get much nicer systems for the money).

To me the key to a good system is the Center Channel and the Woofer. The surround sound speakers are mostly for filler and the 3D effect, but you need a good Center Channel and a Good Sub Woofer.

I agree, especially about the center channel. I recently upgraded mine to a Paradigm model, and it makes a huge difference...especially because I tend to watch a lot of television on my HT system, and probably well over 75% of your TV soundtrack (even if it comes through in Dolby Digital) comes through your center channel.

Subwoofers are nice, but I think you need something with good tight bass. Some people just love that big booming bass that doesn't always work well with the rest of their system. I have a Velodyne sub myself, and really like it.

I have a Sub that has a button on it that you keep pressed in when you watch movies/tv, and pressed out for music. It's a good option and the different type of bass makes a difference.