TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lil' Bitch

Rob Zombie to direct next Halloween movie

Zombie plots new mayhem for "Halloween"

Monday June 5 1:10 AM ET

Rocker-turned-filmmaker Rob Zombie is resurrecting Michael Myers, one of the big screen's favorite horror villains.

Zombie will write and direct a new "Halloween" movie, serving up what is being called as a brand-new vision for the long-running horror series. He will also serve as a producer and a music supervisor on the film.

An October 2007 release is being planned. Disney's Miramax Films will co-finance the development with former Miramax chiefs Bob and Harvey Weinstein's Dimension Films.

[0]

The movie will not be a sequel or a straight-ahead remake of the 1978 original -- which helped director John Carpenter cement his name in the horror business -- but a reimagining that will infuse new blood into the Myers story.

"The look and the feel is going to be completely different," Zombie said in an interview. "'Halloween' started off as a very terrifying concept, a terrifying movie. But over the years, Michael Myers has become a friendly Halloween mask. When it came to the point where you could buy a Michael Myers doll that was cute-looking and press its stomach and play the 'Halloween' theme, you knew the scare factor was gone.

"But I think the story and the situation is scary. All it needed was someone to come in and to take a totally different approach to make it scary again. To me, that's the challenge and that's the fun."

Needless to say, the movie will not pay heed to the numerous sequels. The last Halloween film, "Halloween: H20," came out in 1998.

"Everything that has come before does not figure into this one," Zombie said. "That series is done."

And while Zombie aims to keep the scares and the character more real, the mask will remain.

"That's an iconic image that can't go away," he said.

Zombie wrote and directed "House of 1000 Corpses" and last year's "The Devil's Rejects," which proved to be extremely profitable theatrically and on DVD. A lot of horror movies have been thrown his way, but he wanted to be choosy when it came to his third film.

Zombie is a fan of the original and said he sought Carpenter's blessing.

"He said, 'That's awesome, go for it,"' Zombie said. "He was very supportive, which I thought was very important. I feel like 'Halloween' is his baby, and I wanted to be very respectful."

Credit: Yahoo.com

I love it when reporters are wrong.

Anyway, I'm a little mixed on this. I loved Halloween 1 & 2 and H20 was passable. The rest sucked and I've liked Zombie's work so far so I think we might get something good out of this.

The last Halloween film, "Halloween: H20," came out in 1998.

wait, what? wasnt there another one? still, Rob doing a new one would be cool, at least he's taking it back to the orginal old style.

Guest El Satanico

I remember the last time this franchise tried something different...

Three more days till Halloween, Halloween, Halloween,

Three more days till Halloween

Silver Shamrock.

4.gif

Rob has been very hit (Rejects) or miss (House of 1000 nothingreallyhappens) so I don't know. I've pretty much accepted Hollywood wants to just remake every franchise but I don't know if Rob is the right choice for Halloween. For the early to late 70's Wes Craven movies, I think Rob is the perfect choice since he seems to know that area of horror extremely well. For some of the stuff like Halloween, I don't think it fits with Rob's directing style but he's only had two films so I might be very wrong.

The only thing about Rob is I know he knows his horror and isn't going in with a, "so, who is this Michael guy? He sounds so boring. How about we make him an alien instead!"

I won't go see it probably but I'll wait and see for a trailer once he has worked on it.

Guest El Satanico

I wouldn't even call this a remake. They make it sound more like "Batman Begins". I guess, we'll find out.

Hmmm, well on one note the franchise is probably better off "starting over" or whatever after Halloween: Resurrection, but then again there is a great amount of mythology in the franchise that someone could really give justice to a great sequal if they played upon such.

Maybe Rob will explore that fact, but from the way it sounds, we may be looking at a completely different vision here. I dont like the fact that he's only done 2 films in his career, as reinventing a franchise such as this should take more experience to do so. It could very well be a good thing that he's helming this, but I think the odds are more against it.

The trailer is supposed to be attatched to Grindhouse, from what I've heard.

is that DDP?

Yes. He's a friend of Zombie and appeared in his other movies.

He was in HOUSE? I know he was in REJECTS but I don't recall him having a role in the first one.

After seeing the cast, I'm a lot more hopefully.

I checked on IMDB at its saying that he's not in the film. But he is starring in Horrorween, as a wrestler no less.

I just finished reading the first draft (http://www.sendspace.com/file/ljgit6), and sadly, I was not very impressed. To me, it just read like "Hey, here's this great movie reimagined into an okay movie that includes a couple of scenes verbatim in case you didn't know". I also found the ending to be particularly embarrassing. It really reminds me of the Halloween scripts my friends and I would write when we were in middle school trying to make a movie just because we had the costume and a video camera.

:(

The script has been received negatively by anyone/everyone who has read it. Seriously, this movie has no reason to be made. The guy in that pic might be Kane Hodder, who looks a LOT like DDP. Kane Hodder, btw, is the guy who plays Jason Voorhees is MOST of the FT13th movies.

It looks like DDP. Even if DDP isn't in the movie I don't see why he wouldn't just show up since he and Zombie are good friends. He might just be stopping by for a visit. I know it's not KAne since he is not in the film at all.

I am super hyped about this film. I love the casting choices and I really dig the backstory to why Michael is the way he is.

The script has been received negatively by anyone/everyone who has read it. Seriously, this movie has no reason to be made. The guy in that pic might be Kane Hodder, who looks a LOT like DDP. Kane Hodder, btw, is the guy who plays Jason Voorhees is MOST of the FT13th movies.

While Hodder and DDP look similar, you can easily spot the difference between the two. It's not like they're identical twins. It is DDP in the pic...

It's Tyler (Sabretooth) Mane, although I did hear Kane Hodder speak in October and he said that he was interested in doing it since he would never play Jason again.

It would have been sweet having Hodder play Myers. That's the only horror slasher he has yet to play. Jason, check; Freddy, check; Letherface, check; Meyers, maybe the next movie.

Okay, his "role" as Freddy's glove in Jason Goes to Hell doesn't really count dude..

He also didn't play Leatherface in TCM 3, he only did the stunts.

Okay, his "role" as Freddy's glove in Jason Goes to Hell doesn't really count dude..

He also didn't play Leatherface in TCM 3, he only did the stunts.

HE is the only person to don all three though, no one else can say that. Plus it's good triva to make some money off of your friends with. I'm actually surprised that you knew what I was referring too, not many people that I know and speak to know about that. When I met Kane I brought it up he was surprised that anyone knew that.

Anyone catch the trailer during Grindhouse? It looked meh to me, and got several boos from the audience (I can't remember ever hearing a trailer getting boos). Didn't look as bad as I thought it would though.

The more I see about the movie, including the trailer, the more it just seems to be a total remake just with the latest Hollywood touches. Why in the world even remake this in the first place? I'll check it out, it's still a Halloween flick, but that doesn't mean that I understand the point. The trailer is totally lacking as well, it just doesn't feel right to me.

They should've just had Rob Zombie make a new Halloween movie instead of a remake of the original.