TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lil' Bitch

Rob Zombie to direct next Halloween movie

I've said on here before, but I loved the first Saw film. I thought it was one of the best psychological horror films I'd ever seen. But its has been raped by shit sequal after shit sequal.

Dammit. And, uh, I never saw 3 (Hah! punnery), but from what I heard about the ending to that one, doesn't it make the idea of another sequel kinda difficult?

Yeah, but they've left things unanswered in III and of course there's going to be the traditional SHOCKING twist at the end of the movie that will leave it open for the next SAW to come out.

I also liked the first Saw movie. Granted, it's basically just a knockoff of Se7en and SOTL, with some nice nods to Italian giallo flicks, but it's still good. The follow ups though, are pretty dreadful. I saw the third one via free rental, and still felt ripped off.

-And holy shit, horror & cult movie fans, check out that cast. Malcolm McDowell, Brad Dourif, Udo Kier, William Forsythe, Danny Trejo, Clint Howard, Dee Wallace, Sybil Danning, Bill Mosely, and even Adrienne motherfucking Barbeau. Plus Micky from the Monkees, for whatever reason.

Now that's a cast. If there is one thing Rob Zombie does right it is cast his movies with beyond capable character actors. Fucking terrible director and writer however. It is quite odd that I find Devil's Rejects so appealing because of the acting, probably the last thing most would be looking for in the movie.

You know, i don't think he is that horrible of a director. GOD awful writer though, but as a director...eh. You could do worse.

My chief complaint in regards to Zombie is, again, his writing. All he seems to be able to do is write characters that say 'fuck' a lot. He doesn't even put it there for the sake of "conversation enhancement", he just has characters yell 'fuck' a lot for the sake of them yelling 'fuck' a lot. It's not new or innovative, and frankly gets annoying after a little while.

He's a good writer and director, fuck you. His problem is inexperience. I am both looking forward to Halloween, and petrified that it will suck. His problem is doing shit terribly overblown, like Michael Myers is eight feet tall and everything. He's learning, though.

Regarding Saw, I actually like 2 the best.

"He's a good writer and director, fuck you. "

Despite more support and resources than most inspiring genre directors can only dream of and fucking, fucking, amazing experienced actors he hasn't really made a good genre movie in my book. He's not the worst writer and director obviously and even if you consider that 1000 Corpses isn't complete shit, his stuff is still pretty bad by reasonable standards.

"My chief complaint in regards to Zombie is, again, his writing. All he seems to be able to do is write characters that say 'fuck' a lot. "

He's decent with sleezy dialouge and the occassional bad ass one liner, lines like "I can still smell your wife's pussy on my gun." and "I'm here to do the Devil's work" are borderline gold. It's when Rob is trying too hard to be witty and develop characters that his writing gets cringe worthy, but yeah the word "fuck" in itself isn't that funny and someone should clue him in.

"He's learning, though."

Well, he did do much better with "Rejects" in that he didn't completely smother the actors with his shitty music video directing. Bill Mosley and co. actually got to shine and Forsythe is the man. That didn't stop Rob from giving up us "Freebird" and what not...but eh he did better. Learning how to actually pace a movie and develop real tension and suspense probably wouldn't hurt him either.

As far as writing, he did actually come up with an inspired story and dare I say "theme" for this one, and it's hard to say how much was lost by his bad filmmaking. I haven't read the script but the story to "Rejects" doesn't seem bad save for the above mentioned crappy dialouge and the like.

From the Halloween TV spots I've seen, there hasn't been one mention of Zombie directing. I would think that would HELP them with the movie since it has been run down to the ground a few years ago.

::closes IMDB window::

Man, I just feel embarassed that I never realized that the black dude from Devil's Rejects and now this was the lead hero in the original Dawn of the Dead. Maybe because he still looks like, well, not his natural 59 years.

A minor gripe to be sure, but I'm not used to the idea of Myers sporting a long haired look.

That's only when the mask is off though, no? At least, that's what I've gathered from the trailers.

::closes IMDB window::

Man, I just feel embarassed that I never realized that the black dude from Devil's Rejects and now this was the lead hero in the original Dawn of the Dead. Maybe because he still looks like, well, not his natural 59 years.

Yea, it's good to know Ken Foree can still find work.

Clint Howard's in it too. I'm just mentioning this because, like snuffbox obssesses over Goldwater, I obsess over Clint Howard.

There is a workprint of this flick online already, a slightly different version than the one that will hit theaters. I've watched the first 20-30 minutes of it and it's complete and total rubbish so far. It's your typical "Rob Zombie" flick in every way up to the point that I've watched. I almost stopped watching it after the first five minutes, but I'm going to watch the entire thing, more than likely in the theater, just so I can have an honest opinion of the flick.

What is with the extreme Zombie hate 'round here? HOTC was a fairly entertaining film. Not a masterpiece by any means, but it wasn't supposed to be. It was just trying to be one part satire and one part tribute to old 70s horror flicks, and it did that just fine. Devil's Rejects wasn't trying to be a horror flick at all, more like a "road trip with murderers" type thing like if Bonnie & Clyde and Kalifornia had a mutant kid. Yeah, his dialogue is a bit clumsy and overladen with profanity at times, and his music video editing in the first movie was a little annoying, and his wife is a bad actress, but that's the worst I can say about the guy.

HOTC was awful. Just confusing. And awful. Totally undeserving of all the hype that it received from being picked up and dropped by numerous studios for how "controversial" it was or whatever the reason was supposed to be.

Well, I think Robs a real love/hate director. HOTC was a huge mess (as it's been mentioned), though Devil's Rejects was a major improvement. Halloween will be a make or break to be sure.

I'm seeing it tomorrow at midnight, BTW.

Nobody's ever been able to tell my exactly why they hated HOTC, in a specific and detailed manner. They mostly just say "Zombie is teh sux0rs" about his writing and directing, take some potshot at Sherri, and leave it at that. Like, what dub said about the controversy/hype, none of that was Zombie's or the movie's fault. It wasn't all that different from a hundred other horror flicks. It was other people making a fuss over absolutely nothing.

Well, the music video style editing in HOTC didn't help, nor did the cutaway moments.

I liked HOTC for the most part, it was messy, but entertaining.

Devils Rejects was good, but it was more 70's exploitation film than Horror flick, which is fine, but the marketing department fucks things up when they try to sell it as a scary movie, and then you have angry movie-goers walking out of the theater saying, "That wasn't scary"

Nobody's ever been able to tell my exactly why they hated HOTC, in a specific and detailed manner. They mostly just say "Zombie is teh sux0rs" about his writing and directing, take some potshot at Sherri, and leave it at that. Like, what dub said about the controversy/hype, none of that was Zombie's or the movie's fault. It wasn't all that different from a hundred other horror flicks. It was other people making a fuss over absolutely nothing.

It was confusing as hell and had piss-poor plot and dialogue. It was boring and overly formulaic.

Yes, that is like a lot of other horror movies out there - but I'm not saying they didn't suck either. It's pretty bad when the most entertaining part of your movie are the DVD menus with Sid Haig.

As for the hype not being (at least partially) Zombie's doing? Well I guess the ton of press he did leading up to the eventual pick-up and release of this film had nothing to do with it, hmmm?

It was confusing as hell and had piss-poor plot and dialogue. It was boring and overly formulaic.

I just plain disagree. I think the dialogue was weak, but not so bad it wrecked the movie, and I don't feel you at all on the other stuff (although I give you the name "Doctor Satan" is pretty lame).

It's pretty bad when the most entertaining part of your movie are the DVD menus with Sid Haig.

Now that IS true. I could watch an entire movie of nothing but that and be mightily entertained.

As for the hype not being (at least partially) Zombie's doing? Well I guess the ton of press he did leading up to the eventual pick-up and release of this film had nothing to do with it, hmmm?

Oh, all that crap he said about doing a Real Horror Film and rescuing it from the current teenyboppers and such, all that was just plain hype bullshit. (Especially since it's more of a comedy than anything else, really.) But I was talking about what you said about it being bounced from studio to studio, which was the fault of nobody but dumbass Hollywood suits who were afraid of anything edgier than Scream 4. Ironically, ever since Saw came out and restored gratuitous brutality to the multiplexes, I think he would've had a lot easier time marketing the same movie today.

Hey man, I'm not saying I don't want to like his movies or that I don't want him to improve. I just refuse to give credit where credit isn't due. ;)

How long was House of 1000 Corpses floating around before it was finally picked-up and given a theatrical release? I seem to remember a friend of mine telling me about it as far back as late 2000.

Hey man, I'm not saying I don't want to like his movies or that I don't want him to improve. I just refuse to give credit where credit isn't due. ;)

Don't worry, you're most certainly not alone. I'd love to be able to enjoy his work, and say that I think he produces quality work...but I can't do that, and after watching part of Halloween, I'm starting to think that I'll never be able to say that after all.

It took a while for 1K Corpses to finally get picked up, a number of years for sure.