TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BigDawgCarl

I still have faith in ECW

I can understand why John Cena's gonna be on the first show, as bad as that sounds. They're trying to pop the biggest rating they can for the debut, mainly to appease Sci-Fi suits. I think as the weeks go on (and the brands finally stop crossing paths after Vengeance hopefully), we'll finally get a good look at the new ECW. If Heyman lives up to what he was saying in that damn good interview, we should be alright.

The new ECW will be like One Night Stand but worse because it will be in front of a WWE Smackdown crowd that will cheer Cena and think 90% of the ECW roster is jobbers. I'll watch it tomorrow (and fully expect Cena to kill more ECW guys not named Angle) but nothing is making me excited for this show.

Guest hasbeen

The biggest thing I'm worry about so far is that some of their main guys might not be very reliable, due to injuries-Sabu and Angle-or other problems-Sandman, Axl Rotten if he's even still a part of it. The more TV time available though, the better the chance a new star will develop.

They've talked about bringing in more guys as well as MMA-style fighting. (!)

I think whether or not anyone "has faith" at this point is kind of silly. Let's all just watch a couple of weeks and see. It's not worth losing any sleep over, in three months we'll all have a good idea if this is something interesting or just another version of Heat.

I'd have more faith if they committed to Supershow Raw and Smackdown tapings every Monday and ECW tapings every other Tuesday from Hammerstein Ballroom or the smaller venues they are running ECW house shows. The ONS crowd was 80% of that pay per view, they need to tape in front of ECW only crowds. Running this show in front of Smackdown fans just won't have the same vibe. The 7/4 ECW Arena and 8/1 Hammerstein Ballroom ECW shows will be telling as to whether or not this can work.

Today's first show is in Jersey(I'll be there), so it's not a bad crowd for ECW to debut in front of. Also, it's not like Smackdown's been packing the arenas, so it's possible a decent amount of people might attend tapings for ECW.

Guest Posada20

How big is this roster going to be? It sounds very big for a one hour show. I'm thinking maybe they signed the old ECW guys just for house shows.

Guest Kobe24KGold
The new ECW will be like One Night Stand but worse because it will be in front of a WWE Smackdown crowd that will cheer Cena and think 90% of the ECW roster is jobbers. I'll watch it tomorrow (and fully expect Cena to kill more ECW guys not named Angle) but nothing is making me excited for this show.

Ditto.

ECW in front of a Smackdown crowd?

They can't sweeten the crowd noise, either, because it's going to be LIvE.

Expect ECW to get booed off its own show.

The brand is already dead for three main reasons:

1) RVD not going over completely clean when WWE had no plans to reverse the decision, anyway.

2) Not having all ECW shows taped in smaller, more intimate arenas.

3) Not ponying up the extra dough to obtain the rights to ECW's original themes like "Enter Sandman", "Man in the Box", " Walk" etc. Popular, contemporary rock music was a BIG part of ECW's success.

Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster
How big is this roster going to be? It sounds very big for a one hour show. I'm thinking maybe they signed the old ECW guys just for house shows.

ECW World Heavyweight champion, Rob Van Dam.

Kurt Angle.

Sabu.

The Sandman.

Tommy Dreamer.

The Big Show.

Balls Mahoney.

CW Anderson.

Justin Credible.

F.B.I. (Little Guido & Tony Mamaluke).

Danny Doring & Roadkill.

Stevie Richards.

Jazz.

Francine.

Maybe old ECW guys like Mexicools, Nova, and Kash too. And new WWE guys like, Mordecai, Test, and Gangrel.

We all know Heyman's track record with living up to his word. That's why we don't buy any of this.

Hey, he never lied to us. He never bounced our checks.

Seriously, Vince doesn't want a failure on his hands and I think he knows Heyman knows more than Gewirtz and Daddy's Little Girl when it comes to booking ECW (and booking overall). We just have to let this all play out.

We all know Heyman's track record with living up to his word. That's why we don't buy any of this.

Heyman never lied to the fans. He just lied to everyone else.

It's pretty small right now. I'd expect about 10 more guys or so from OVW/DSW up. You need about 25-30 guys on the roster to have a full-time touring schedule, a decent tag team division, etc.

Keep in mind TNA has a "one hour show" and has like 50+ people on their roster.

No matter how this show turns out, am I the only one who fully expects the ECW show to have a much better flow than TNA television right off the bat? I've never thought that TNA made the correct use of their TV time.

Not ponying up the extra dough to obtain the rights to ECW's original themes like "Enter Sandman", "Man in the Box", " Walk" etc. Popular, contemporary rock music was a BIG part of ECW's success.

You're being ridiculous with this one. Do you even know the costs associated with licensing original music? 9 times out of 10 you just don't pay one fee and get to use it whenever you want, you have to pay EVERY TIME it's used. See: Hogan, Voodoo Chile.

No matter how this show turns out, am I the only one who fully expects the ECW show to have a much better flow than TNA television right off the bat? I've never thought that TNA made the correct use of their TV time.

Absolutely, because the ECW show will have the typical 5 minute overrun (a 47 minute show instead of a 42 minute show), plus they don't have another ECW PPV to hype for another 5-6 months

Whereas with TNA's shows, they always have to rush to try to build up 7-8 angles for the PPV in 4 weeks.

The real question will be how much power Heyman has, and moreover, whether they let him produce promos and angles his way or force him to do it the WWE way (prescripted BS from hollywood "writers"). They've certainly shown they're going to let the guys wrestle ECW-style, so that's a plus.

Guest Overworked

the only Forumli that works for ECW at this stage, is for them to work as independant entity while still under WWE fianicial umbrella. Break away from the WWE/ECW crossover crap. ECW needs their own titles. And after a while expand the roster, primarly with OVW and ECW allums but try to branch out sending feelers to places like MMA. Imagine Angle vs people of that calibur?

Once ECW is able to be on its own two feet and do its own angles without being mentioned by the WWE in angles then It can gain strength on its own. But thats a Big IF

One thing, if ECW even at its Rinky dink level could make use of True music, like Enter sandman and Walk, why can't the WWE approve the continual use or get licensing?

I had a dream last night they had a seperate ring set up for the ECW guys so the ECW crowd could be around the ring.

John Cena gets Jeff Jarrett heat! The heel that everybody hates by default because of what he represents being the "Chosen One" by the "Powers that be". The Anti-Hardcore group of Foley, Cena, Edge should be the top heel group of the new ECW but will it happen, probably not. The top program will probably be Angle vs Orton...

One thing, if ECW even at its Rinky dink level could make use of True music, like Enter sandman and Walk, why can't the WWE approve the continual use or get licensing?

Heyman didn't pay for most of his music as they were too low profile for people to notice until they got on TNN. WWE is a high-profile company and artists would know.

As far as ECW just being WWE with a different name, it certainly seems that there will be some differences already.