TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lt. Al Giardello

Biggest Money Fights for the UFC???

Alright yesterday, me and my buddys all smoked a phat joint, and we had a discussion on UFC. And then the topic was brought up who would win between Rich Franklin Vs. Chuck Liddell. Which gave me the idea to start this thread..

So what are the big money fights for the UFC(St. Pierre Vs. Hughes 2 aside, because we all know it will happen in September).

Here are some I bought up...

Rich Franklin Vs. Chuck Liddell.

This is the fight for me. Everyone know Franklin is a huge middleweight, and he has fought at LHW before. IMO it's hard to determine a winner, because both fighters are on the top of their game. Franklin I think is a more rounded fighter, while Liddell has problay the better stand up. This fight would generate tons of buys for the UFC and get alot of money. I know Dana White is itching to make this happen.

Matt Hughes Vs. BJ Penn 2.

The rematch. Everyone still has the memories of one of the greatest upsets in UFC history when BJ Penn choked out Matt Hughes to become the Welterweight Champion. I still think BJ Penn stands a chance while others think Matt Hughes would win easily. This fight is bound to happen, either Hughes wins or loses the St. Pierre fight.

Brandon Vera Vs. Champions at LHW and HW.

This kid is the future of the UFC. If he continues on his winning streak, he is primed for a title shot. He's got natural charisma and is starting to get a fanbase around him. He will be a top draw for the UFC in years to come.

Tito Ortiz Vs. Chuck Liddell 2.

If everything goes right, and Tito takes Shamrock to school. Tito is problay next in line to get a title chance against the winner of Babalu Vs. Liddell. Now I think Babalu has a GREAT chance to upset Liddell, but Liddell Vs. Ortiz 2 would generate much more of a crowd then Ortiz Vs. Babalu would. This has a great story to it, and Tito Ortiz is already a big draw.

TUF Winners Vs. Title Holder

Bound to happen, and will likely draw huge, because TUF is the reason I believe why UFC is getting new fans.

Frank Mir Vs. Anderi Arlovski

Hasen't happend yet, would be an interesting happen, barring in mind Frank Mir isn't shot and can make a comeback. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for his last fight, but should he lose on UFC 61, he's done.

And the joint part of this story was neccessary for what reason?

*bows because you're cooler than me b/c i don't smoke fatties*

But seriously I want to see Mir and Arlvoski hook it up. Hell I want to see Mir and Sylvia do it again.

But seriously I want to see Mir and Arlvoski hook it up. Hell I want to see Mir and Sylvia do it again.

Those are really the only big money fights in the HW divison, unless Vera decides to stay in the HW divison.

Seriously I think Vera is a big thread to Liddell if he goes down.

Tito Ortiz vs Tank Abbot at the Staples Center in LA. For the right to the name of Huntington Beach Badboy. Tito has the pro wrestling interview skills to draw in the fans and can do no wrong. People paid to see the over the hill Royce Gracie get dominated so why not bring back another "legend" from the past for the big pay day in LA.

Tito Ortiz vs Tank Abbot at the Staples Center in LA. For the right to the name of Huntington Beach Badboy. Tito has the pro wrestling interview skills to draw in the fans and can do no wrong. People paid to see the over the hill Royce Gracie get dominated so why not bring back another "legend" from the past for the big pay day in LA.

Er...what about the weight differences? I don't think Tito will want to fight heavyweight, and Tank just sucks

Tank isn't a legend but he pretty much defined the concept of "Punchers Chance" so I guess you can credit him for that much. An important early figure, definetly. Like it or not a lot of people got into the UFC because of Tank even if they aren't the type of fans that Dana would want watching his version today.

I know I've mentioned this before but I'll say it again about Tank. For some reason people think the guy is awesome and cool even though he sucks shit in the octagon.

My friend David, who trains jiu-jitsu so he should understand something about the UFC, is always going on about how awesome Tank is and how he kicks everyone's ass and is just a bad-ass despite the fact that the hasn't done shit in the new UFC era against competent fighters.

Not really a money fight, but I'd like to see Forest vs Bisping.

Franklin looks unbeatable at 185, I'd like to see him move up as well. Fights with either Tito or Chuck would definatly get my money.

And I hope Arlovski gets the title back...I just never really liked Tim too much.

And if St Pierre doesn't pull off a win then it'll see like there's no one left for Hughes to challenge. Cause I like Diego, but I don't love his chances there.

And if St Pierre doesn't pull off a win then it'll see like there's no one left for Hughes to challenge. Cause I like Diego, but I don't love his chances there.

BJ Penn would dissagree with you.

Raza lets his love of pro wrestling cloud his love of mma far too much.

LMAO at him calling Tank a legend.

Legend is nice way of saying he is old...

Why would Tito waste his time fighting Abbott?

You have some weird idea's razazteca.

To sellout the LA Staples Center just think of all of the celebrities that would show up like Jack, Carol, Penny, Michael Duncan Clark, Ron Jermany.

And Rich came into the UFC as LHW. I don't know why he'd want to go back up.

Oh Franklin/Silva will happen.

I already gayed for Franklin but after seeing Silva last night I gay for them both. The match will be better than sex.

I like Leben...but damn. That was brutal. I definatly want to see more of that guy.

And even though he got pwned in his last fight, I'd like to see Bonnar fight Forrest again

Pwned?

No......just......no. Wrong on all accounts. Beaten, yes. Pwned? Christ no.

Leben got PWN'd the pretty glory boy Bonnar lost by decision. I thought the rule was lose 2 fights in a row and YOU'RE FIRED Bonnar needs to win his next fight with a spectacular submission or beat his opponet into a bloody pulp.

Bonnar's well liked, so I could see them tossing him out a nothing fight to keep him in good standing with the fans.

And after rewatching Bonnar/Griffin a 4th time I still have Bonnar winning rounds 2 and 3.

3 fights is usually the rule but there are certain guys that will always get another shot.

Is that really the rule?

When you say certain guys are you talking about the big stars(though none of them would ever lose 3 fights in a row or b/c the UFC likes to protect their stars they'd sign a fight to ensure they don't lose 2 or 3 in a row) or guys that have an in with the big stars and UFC?

This could be called the Nick Diaz factor because even though the guy has lost 3 in a row he'll probably be brought back eventually because he has great fights.

In PRIDE I think this is called the Akira Shoji factor (minus the good fights).

Guest DRH 502

It might not be a money fight but Franklin/Silva has my money. Same with Chuck/Silva.

Is there some obscure, kick-ass welterweight with the last name Silva?? I ask because maybe we can make this a trifecta of Silvas...

Guest DRH 502

...cause smoking fatties leads to interesting and passionate discussion. Potheads know whats up.

I really don't care to see Mir fight ever again. It makes me very sad to see him now...he never was a great fighter but man oh man when he broke Sylvia's arm I marked out like a school girl at an N'sync concert. Just awesome stuff.

Guest Brian
Well it looks like Wandy Silva Vs. Chuck Liddell is going to be the biggest money fight, atleast international wise for UFC.

I seriously doubt it. UFC doesn't have a ton of international clearances like the WWE does. Without a ton of exposure to Wanderlei, I doubt this'll do much bettter than Horn/Lidell.

Casual UFC fans are already showing interest in finding out who Silva is.

Besides, who sounds like a more appealing opponent: crazy looking mongoloid nicknamed "The Axe Murderer" who's touted as a Japanese champion, or some soft-looking yokel with a forgettable name whose claim to fame is being a tough journeyman?