TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Angle-plex

What seperates Smarks and Marks?

If you think about it, being a Mark or a Smark is kinda like being in the Matrix. When you become a Smark, you're seeing how deep the rabbit hole is and there is no going back. Whether it's by training to become part of the business or immersing yourself in dirtsheet info, you gain knowledge that causes you to never look at wrestling the same way again. "Marks" may read insider info and know a little bit of what's going on behind the scenes but, for whatever reason, don't really investigate and for the most part accept wrestling on face value. "Marks" can walk away from wrestling as a whole, for "Smarks" it may prove a little more difficult to just stop watching altogether.

Who the fock is Kent Jones?

Some fat kid who decided to make a video on youtube about wrestling and called it a shoot. His videos are posted in the youtube thread on page 14, though its really hard to sit and watch it all.

I don't think that a mark is someone who believes that everything on TV is 100% real and will cheer/boo a face/heel and do the opposite when they turn, I consider this an old definition of what a mark is. Kayfabe is dead and everybody knows that wrestling is predetermined. I think there's two categories of viewers : the fan and the smark.

I'm the only smark in my group of friends and I never talk about wrestling with them the same way I would talk here. One of my friends watched during Hulkamania and the Attitude era and stopped watching since Stone Cold left. He doesn't care about seeing a good wrestling match, give him Mr. McMahon over Chris Benoit and Guerrero anyday. He only watches wrestling because it's funny. He likes DX, The Rock and Austin, even when he was in the Alliance. He and I laugh about the old cliches of wrestling and how stupid wrestling can be. He can watch a portion of a show from time to time, but the only thing he found interesting this year so far is the Spirit Squad.

Another one of my friends will find practically anything on TV good. He likes the recent DX stuff, will order several PPVs throughout the year and, if there's a show, he will always talk about it the day after. He watched a few ECW matches on DVD and he actually believes that what is on Sci-Fi is the real ECW. What I can find completely insulting and retarded, he will find it funny. He likes the hoss-style matches and will find a match exceeding 10 minutes boring. To put it briefly, he's the kind of fan that WWE is after. Some others will watch a PPV in group or go to an event when there's one in town, but quitted watching the show in 2001 or when Austin and Rock left.

That being said, I think that Smarks are much bigger marks than the casual viewer could ever be. To their eyes , I'm only a long-time fan. I never share the knowledge I have with them because, if I do, I will look like a total nerd. A few exemples : When one of them asked me last fall why Jim Ross wasn't announcing anymore and I told them it's because they think he's a reason of the weak ratings, he gave me a "What the fuck are you talking about ?" face. During Wrestlemania XX, they thought that Benoit getting the belt was stupid and I was the only one who knew why him and Guerrero celebrating in the ring was a great moment. They don't give a shit about workrate, backstage politics and all that insider stuff, a visit to WWE.com is all the info they need. They could stop watching anytime they want when I join the entire board bitching about how the shows are retarded and the wrestling is boring. Yet, I'll still tune in next week.

The fans just enjoy the product and they quit watching if it's bad. The smarks will over-analyse everything and think about how their ideas and alternate scenarios would have been so much better than what WWE has done ( a form of fantasy booking ). We're bitching about how bad the product is and, if Vince McMahon was to die tomorrow and WWE would cease to exist, we would all be floored by this while the casual fan would simply switch to another channel on Monday nights. So I think that we're much bigger marks than the average kid wearing a Cena shirt could ever be.

I don't think that a mark is someone who believes that everything on TV is 100% real and will cheer/boo a face/heel and do the opposite when they turn, I consider this an old definition of what a mark is. Kayfabe is dead and everybody knows that wrestling is predetermined. I think there's two categories of viewers : the fan and the smark.

I'm the only smark in my group of friends and I never talk about wrestling with them the same way I would talk here. One of my friends watched during Hulkamania and the Attitude era and stopped watching since Stone Cold left. He doesn't care about seeing a good wrestling match, give him Mr. McMahon over Chris Benoit and Guerrero anyday. He only watches wrestling because it's funny. He likes DX, The Rock and Austin, even when he was in the Alliance. He and I laugh about the old cliches of wrestling and how stupid wrestling can be. He can watch a portion of a show from time to time, but the only thing he found interesting this year so far is the Spirit Squad.

Another one of my friends will find practically anything on TV good. He likes the recent DX stuff, will order several PPVs throughout the year and, if there's a show, he will always talk about it the day after. He watched a few ECW matches on DVD and he actually believes that what is on Sci-Fi is the real ECW. What I can find completely insulting and retarded, he will find it funny. He likes the hoss-style matches and will find a match exceeding 10 minutes boring. To put it briefly, he's the kind of fan that WWE is after. Some others will watch a PPV in group or go to an event when there's one in town, but quitted watching the show in 2001 or when Austin and Rock left.

That being said, I think that Smarks are much bigger marks than the casual viewer could ever be. To their eyes , I'm only a long-time fan. I never share the knowledge I have with them because, if I do, I will look like a total nerd. A few exemples : When one of them asked me last fall why Jim Ross wasn't announcing anymore and I told them it's because they think he's a reason of the weak ratings, he gave me a "What the fuck are you talking about ?" face. During Wrestlemania XX, they thought that Benoit getting the belt was stupid and I was the only one who knew why him and Guerrero celebrating in the ring was a great moment. They don't give a shit about workrate, backstage politics and all that insider stuff, a visit to WWE.com is all the info they need. They could stop watching anytime they want when I join the entire board bitching about how the shows are retarded and the wrestling is boring. Yet, I'll still tune in next week.

The fans just enjoy the product and they quit watching if it's bad. The smarks will over-analyse everything and think about how their ideas and alternate scenarios would have been so much better than what WWE has done ( a form of fantasy booking ). We're bitching about how bad the product is and, if Vince McMahon was to die tomorrow and WWE would cease to exist, we would all be floored by this while the casual fan would simply switch to another channel on Monday nights. So I think that we're much bigger marks than the average kid wearing a Cena shirt could ever be.

great explanation I must admit. Kudos.

Who the fock is Kent Jones?

Some fat kid who decided to make a video on youtube about wrestling and called it a shoot. His videos are posted in the youtube thread on page 14, though its really hard to sit and watch it all.

I really want to shoot that mofucker in the face.

Classic case of Retardism.

^Absolutely Hilarious.

"Hey Vince, are you gay? What your obsession with big muscles? What wrong with wrestling? Why you bury it in the 90's? Your a cancer! Bitch!"